Fandango’s Provocative Question #172

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

My provocative question this week was suggested to me by Jim Adams (A Unique Title for Me). In a comment on one of my posts he wrote, “I was thinking that you could do a Provocative Question asking people about their phobias.” And I thought, why the hell not?

It’s possible — and even likely — that Melanie (Sparks From a Combustible Mind) may have asked this question in one of her Share Your World challenge posts. But it’s a good question, so I’ll pose it anyway.

But first I want to define “phobia.”

It’s an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something. A phobia is not just being afraid or fearful of something. It’s extreme and/or irrational. So, that said, my provocative question this week is…

Do you have any phobias? If so, have you had these phobias all your life or have the developed or evolved as you’ve aged?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

22 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #172

1. Nope, Not Pam July 6, 2022 / 4:35 am

Mice, I’m terrified of them, but I have no issues with rats at all

• Marilyn Armstrong July 6, 2022 / 5:38 pm

I’m not afraid of rats. I just don’t want them around — unless they are pets. I’m not afraid of either, but I really want them to stay out of my house AND my car. Right now, I know they are nesting in my car. Owen is going to have take apart my dashboard to get rid of them. It is one of the prices we pay for living in the country.

• Marleen July 6, 2022 / 6:40 pm

There are a bunch of dirty rats in our country… yeah, kidding… I know that’s not what you meant. My dad once (more than once but anyway) gave his used car to one of my sons. Since it had been at my dad’s house in a country-like area (and not in his garage for some reason) for years (not just sitting there all the time as it was his car that he used until he bought a new one), it had mice under the hood. We didn’t know this. I’m glad my son didn’t keep it in our garage, at home. After about a year, they chewed through some wires. (I wonder if they ever ventured out of the vehicle after having taken up inside of it.) Whatever stopped working was inexplicable because the car was in great shape, but the car mechanic could see what happened. At least it was fixable. That whole thing didn’t scare me, although it’s kinda gross if I think about it. I never saw or heard the pests. But, yeah, I’m fairly afraid of both… rats more so though. With mice, I can see one run by and know something has to be done. With a rat, I’d move out.

• Marilyn Armstrong July 7, 2022 / 11:44 am

Mice. Rats are too big. Mice, the little bastards, get in there and eat the wires. I just hope he has time to take it apart before they do too much damage. It’s AMAZING how much damage mice can do. So small, too.

• Marleen July 7, 2022 / 12:40 pm

I don’t remember why, but I mentioned to my cousin-in-law that rats are too scary. She asked why, to which I gave examples from movies. She responded, “Have you seen people in movies?” That was pretty funny. She had a positive memory of a pet in a school room (in a cage or something like that). I really would not have been interested enough to find, in any environment, such a “pet” anything to spend time on. Truly, I’m sure I wouldn’t spend time on mice at school either. I did have mice, gerbils, and hamsters, even a Guinea pig, as my own pets when I was young (one at a time). I picked them up, and they didn’t scare me. I truly don’t “understand” that on a visceral level as an adult. I fed a squirrel or chipmunk (mm, kinda scary I don’t remember which now, while I did remember for decades) at a national park, once. That was kinda stupid of me, I think. But nothing bad happened. It went the way I thought it would, like feeding a duck…. except the animal went away instead of quacking or chirping for more.

2. Marleen July 6, 2022 / 4:41 am

I don’t have any phobias. I thought I wasn’t going to have anything to say, here. But I remember that, for a few years, I used to be afraid of driving over high (and especially narrow) bridges. If I ponder on it, it might not have been a phobia. For instance, I had experienced some unexplained dizziness just in general. So feeling physically disoriented would tend to make one more mindful and more fearful. I yet did go on bridges, but there were a few times I selected different routes so I wouldn’t have to experience that near dread. I’m still more careful on bridges than I used to be before all that, having noticed they really are dangerous as I hadn’t really thought about seriously in previous times, though not as afraid now as I was. I do slow down more noticeably. As for the dizziness, and the fright with bridges actually, I learned that my significant other’s brother also went through the very same thing; is perhaps to do with the disorientating force in our lives?

• Fandango July 6, 2022 / 9:32 am

I once had a dream where I was driving across a narrow but highly arched two lane bridge and while I was on it, it turned into a giant slithering snake and shook me off of it. Ever since then I’ve felt anxious every time I have to drive across a highly arched bridge.