The Age of Fertility

She always seemed to be so fastidious, and I must admit, I had a huge crush on her back in the day. But the last time I saw her, she looked uncharacteristically fat and flabby. Taken aback by her appearance, I was not very nice to her at the time, shaming her for how she let her body swell up like it did. But I immediately felt bad because at that encounter she became quite melancholy and began to cry.

I later found out that she was pregnant, not fat and flabby, and what upset her that day was not so much what I had said, as much as it was that her boyfriend abandoned her shortly after she became pregnant.

I was ashamed for what I said to her, and I have since instituted a new personal policy to never comment on a woman’s appearance, especially if a woman is of the age of fertility.

Written for these daily prompts: E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (fastidious), Ragtag Daily Prompt (crush), Your Daily Word Prompt (flabby), Word of the Day Challenge (shaming), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (swell), My Vivid Blog (melancholy), and The Daily Spur (policy).

And for the record, this post is pure fiction. I would never mistake a pregnant woman for a fat woman, but I admit that I once congratulated a woman on her pregnancy. She became very indignant when she informed me that she was not pregnant.

12 thoughts on “The Age of Fertility

1. newepicauthor June 28, 2022 / 6:54 am

You should go for it as she has zero chance of getting pregnant while she is carrying a baby.

2. pensitivity101 June 28, 2022 / 8:07 am

Ah, it was you then LOL. It happened to me in the supermarket when I was at my heaviest and was asked when the baby was due. I held my tears in check until we got back to the car as we’d been trying for a baby and nothing had happened for us.

• Fandango June 28, 2022 / 10:45 pm

No doubt an innocent comment with no malice intended, but I can understand your reaction.

• pensitivity101 June 29, 2022 / 12:57 am

The woman felt dreadful and I assured her it was all OK. It made me think seriously about my weight then and I had a hopeless GP so was glad when we moved!

3. JT Twissel June 28, 2022 / 9:56 am

Yes, best not to say anything. I went to a child’s recital three days after my son was born and some lady said to me “I see you haven’t had that baby yet.” Whoops!

4. Nope, Not Pam June 28, 2022 / 1:11 pm

Should have known better 🙄

5. leigha66 June 29, 2022 / 9:45 am

I commented one to someone I knew about her expecting … she had already had the baby, I was mortified. Never again will I assume anyone is pregnant. I felt so bad.

6. Marleen June 30, 2022 / 12:15 pm

We have a neighbor who was pregnant with her second child, maybe two to four months along, a while ago. She takes a lot of walks around the neighborhood. One day, she started telling people why she was no longer pregnant — while no one had asked or seemed to think it was acquaintances’ business. I’m not sure anyone had noticed yet. There had been a health problem.