The American Theocracy

Above is the headline from Slate that appeared on my iPhone’s newsfeed this morning. In yet another move to slowly transition America from a secular democracy to a Christian theocracy, a 6-3 ruling along party lines by the Supreme Court’s conservative justices today has removed foundational, decades-old constitutional limits on religion in public schools.

Today’s decision lowers the bar between church and state in an opinion that will allow more religious expression in public spaces.

Just last week, the Court made it harder for states to decline to fund religious education. In today’s decision, the Court is making it harder for secular schools to keep religion out of extracurricular activities. In the name of defending religious exercise, the Court’s conservative majority has neutered the First Amendment’s reference to the prohibition of a state sanctioning of religion, in this case, Christianity.

And this is hot on the heels of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade after a close to 50 year effort by conservative Christians to force their idea of morality on all Americans.

Welcome to the Divine Republic of America, one nation under God. In God we trust. Praise be.

26 thoughts on “The American Theocracy

• Fandango June 27, 2022 / 10:54 pm

Yes, I hadn’t read your post when I wrote mine, but you’re exactly right and you said it much more effectively than I did.

1. RuthScribbles June 27, 2022 / 7:32 pm

RvW was 5-4, the gun ruling was 6-3.

So then others can push their religion to be taught? or file lawsuits? I’m so sick of this crap.

• Fandango June 27, 2022 / 11:31 pm

You’re right. Chief Justice John Roberts voted with the three liberal justices, so it was a 5-4 vote.

• Marleen June 28, 2022 / 10:13 am

Were Congress to get it together to pass a privacy and personal and reproductive autonomy bill (and not give the parliamentarian the veto), the situation would be better after Ketanji Brown Jackson is in place.

• Marleen June 28, 2022 / 1:25 pm

WSJ; What about rights that are not
          explicitly mentioned in the Constitution?

• Marleen June 28, 2022 / 6:50 pm

You know, I’m not sure they have the authority to outlaw abortion (rather than simply a pen to say they vacate or eschew a previously offered opinion/decision even if these justices could or couldn’t really change it since that wasn’t the question of the specific case before the Court which was only asking about a fourteen or fifteen week point). And any legislation would likely best largely affirm (rather than state as if a new right), while adding clear punishment for detaining or assaulting or depriving a person for being a human who could give birth and/or might be pregnant or is pregnant, that the amendments ending slavery and establishing citizenship recognized the atrocity of subjugating an individual and for subjugating any category of types of individuals, namely of color or ethnicity or of the ability to give birth or perceived status as female or non-citizen or anyone experiencing legal incarceration for some other reason(s), and that such consideration has to go to all rather than being limited to ending of the historical habit of slavery as seen in America at a specific range of time on a line — as also people we see having citizenship based on being born here or born to citizens are citizens too while not decendants of slaves — even while we undertook amendments because of slavery as we knew it. If it were me involved in writing this, I would outlaw abortion based on gender/sex (of the fetus). I think there should be, included in the legislation, gestational stage after which life ot health of the mother or ignorance of a child (such as a female who is twelve) or other mitigating information has to be a reason; there is time before this stage to have already decided and followed through on intention. A person who can give birth or be impregnated shouldn’t have to say she/they has/have or hasn’t/have not been raped, much less be required to prove it under a time-sensitive constraint. I don’t know how the details have been handled all this time, with trimesters mattering. Other people would have that legal and procedural information. [I see this whole thing as a sad aspect of an imperfect world. Other people might be more bland about it. That’s up to them and anyone.]

• Marleen June 28, 2022 / 10:18 am

I wonder. If Congress were to pass legislation stating that when a state fails to regulate guns then more local municipalities can step up, would that pass the muster of the Court? It could be stated that states shouldn’t neglect their constitutional duty to regulate their approach to militia.

2. Astrid June 28, 2022 / 6:36 am

Wow, just wow! I honestly don’t think this is at all Christ-like. After all, Jesus welcomed sinners, tax collectors and prostitutes. Then again, I’m a progressive Christian and I won’t say this on my blog as I’ll offend my conservative Christian readers. Maybe I should stop caring though.

• Fandango June 28, 2022 / 12:52 pm

On my blog I say what I believe, what I feel, my opinions, and my perspectives. But I blog anonymously, so there’s that.

• Brianna June 29, 2022 / 3:47 pm

You’re adorable. I lived in the biblebelt I debated liberal Christians. Some things that liberal Christians like you don’t seem to comprehend. By claiming Christianity you are part of the problem. Two, take accountability for your own actions. Also innocent people don’t get executed. Somewhere in the bible, it hints out Jesus had someone murdered.

• Astrid June 30, 2022 / 12:35 am

I strongly disagree with your point that innocent people don’t get executed. I mean, maybe (hopefully), not in the U.S., but in less developed parts of the world, certainly yes. And I’d love to see the Bible quote where you say Jesus had someone murdered. I’m pretty sure you mean the part in Acts where some man (I forgot his name) and his wife fell to death for hiding a tiny part of their money while they were supposed to give everything away and become Christ followers. That, indeed, is a very hard part of the Bible to swallow, but that wasn’t Jesus directly doing this (at least not while still on Earth).

• Marleen June 30, 2022 / 1:56 am

It (the people dropping dead) was said to be for lying and saying they had given everything when they had not given everything (trying to take some credit for what other people had done but without actually doing what the others had done). They didn’t have to give everything (nor lie about it obviously), giving all of their proceeds wasn’t a requirement. And, yes, it was in Acts “of the Apostles” — it wasn’t Jesus. Jesus was executed, and he was innocent. People who shouldn’t be on death row have been convicted. I’m not sure why Brianna would say they “don’t get” executed. And, finally, I agree with taking accountability for one’s own actions.

3. rugby843 June 28, 2022 / 7:10 am

When in PTA years ago I fought the voucher system because public schools needed funds for improving and the voucher funds could go into any type of “school”. These ultra conservatives are going too far and not benefiting the people who are in NEED.

Sent from my iPhone

• Fandango June 28, 2022 / 10:42 pm

I couldn’t agree more!

4. Marleen June 28, 2022 / 10:47 am

I don’t know how this was presented as not acceptable; thr arguments in the hearings (and not only general knowledge) are what count. I don’t know if anyone said there are different kinds of Christian beliefs. And it’s not only a matter of denominations. It’s not only a matter of Evangelical or not or Christian or not or religious or not. There shouldn’t be an authority (not an institution or movement or denkmknstion or even an individual person) as to spiritually set up by a public (state funded) institution.

• Marleen June 30, 2022 / 6:57 pm

In addition to all that conceptual concern and the aspect of personal spiritual autonomy, the justices who decided this — the wrong way — lied, in multiple facets, about the matter before them. Are they that deranged, that they can’t see straight, or are they just so comfortable lying and doing whatever they want? It’s really quite sick.

• Marleen August 3, 2022 / 12:28 pm

There shouldn’t be an authority* (not an institution or movement or denomination or claimed non denomination (like “Catholicism” or “Disciples of Christ” or Witnesses) or even an individual person) as to spiritually set up by a public (state funded) institution.

You know what? Jesus prayed (directly to his conception of deity), but I don’t think he ever modeled what we see in presumptuous (or, alternatively, well-meaning) religious people. He didn’t presume to take people under his authority and put them in submission.

As a matter of record (written), he told people who asked to go into a private place (their own private place, not a church and explicitly not a public gathering) to be heard by the Parent of the universe rather than succumbing to the common practice of being seen.

* {not extemporaneously, not per repetitive self appointment, and not officially either}

5. leigha66 June 29, 2022 / 12:48 pm

So that means a Jewish teacher or a Muslim coach can also lead their students in their prayer without any backlash… I bet they would change their minds so fast! And you know the kids who “refuse” would get so much harassment! This country is failing fast.

• Brianna June 29, 2022 / 3:40 pm

Don’t be naive. Most Christians would talk over non Christians because Christians believe NonChristians are inferior. I’ve heard about what Christians politicians do, they act as rude as possible towards people that they disagree with.

• Fandango June 29, 2022 / 3:56 pm

Yes, thanks to the Republicans and the conservative Christian movement.

6. Brianna June 29, 2022 / 3:37 pm

I can’t change others, can’t fix stupid, but I can call them out for promoting terrorism. Twenty years ago people were screaming about sharia law, yet I get the impression Christians of all sorts are pushing America towards a Christian only future. History is important, and the intellectual midgets screeching about how America was founded on Christianity or Christian principals need to be shunned as ignorant.

Comments are closed.