Who Won The Week — 06/26/22

The idea behind Who Won the Week is to give you the opportunity to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

This week I am reluctantly awarding my Who Won the Week designation to conservative Christians. When I say reluctantly, it’s not because I have a grudge against conservative Christians. I believe people should be free to practice whatever religion they want to. Hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

That said, when conservative Christians insist on trying to float other people’s boats, I draw the line. But that’s what happened this week when six conservative Christian U.S. Supreme Court justices handed conservative Christians (and Republicans, most of whom are conservative and Christian) the gift they’ve been fighting for for nearly fifty years. The Court overturned Roe v. Wade, giving states run by Republicans the ability to ban abortions and to make criminals of women who choose to have abortions, doctors who perform abortions, and even anyone who aids or assists a woman who seeks an abortion.

And this purging of religious freedoms and personal liberties is just beginning, as conservative Christian’s are buoyed by this favorable Supreme Court decision by targeting the overturning of other decisions that prohibit states from making the use of contraceptives illegal, by banning gay marriage, and by removing equal protections for the LBGT community.

What’s next? Requiring kids to recite the Lord’s Prayer in public schools? Banning the teaching of evolution in science classes and mandating that Creationism be a part of the educational curriculum? How long before the Supreme Court reconsiders the First Amendment, which prohibits the Congress from making a law “respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”?

This provision of the U.S. Constitution later expanded to state and local governments, through their incorporation of the First Amendment. But just as the Supreme Court has now empowered the states to pass laws banning abortions, who’s to say it won’t also return to the states the power to make laws establishing Christianity as the official religion of any state run by run conservative Christians?

So congratulations conservative Christians. The pendulum has certainly swung your way. All I can say is stay the fuck off of my boat.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

Image credit: Hanna Barczyk for The Lily

13 thoughts on “Who Won The Week — 06/26/22

1. newepicauthor June 26, 2022 / 6:21 pm

They will probably ban the use of condoms and have all the vasectomy operations reversed.

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 26, 2022 / 8:16 pm

I don’t think anyone won the week, but everyone in this country and probably others who will follow our lead has lost. I’m not sure we yet know how MUCH we have lost, but I think more than we imagined possible.

• Fandango June 26, 2022 / 11:25 pm

I agree and it’s frustrating to me that the Democrats are going around acting like it’s business as usual while the Republicans are united in their efforts to destroy the American democracy.

3. Marleen June 26, 2022 / 10:35 pm

I had thought about Jon Stewart and his win of the Mark Twain Prize.

180° VR Experience – Mark Twain Prize Red Carpet 2022 | Kennedy Center

4. rugby843 June 27, 2022 / 11:50 am

At least your last statement got a smile.

AMENDMENT I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

To me it’s like the Bible—interpretation is upon the reader. Just like any amendment, such as the second one, people twist it to further their cause. Religious leaders have done this since time began.

Sent from my iPhone

• Marleen June 27, 2022 / 1:53 pm

Conservative types have often used this word to say recreational drugs shouldn’t be used. But I think it’s about manipulation. And false religion is manipulative; we would never want to impose religion by force of the state — not to turn a secular state into a force like religion. We can see this over history. Both Catholicism (not the only) and Stalinism (atheist) were opiates of the masses, for example.

• Marleen June 27, 2022 / 1:55 pm

I double-fixed “— nor” but see it was auto screwed back to “not” again.

• Marleen July 7, 2022 / 2:00 pm

Mission Mind Control (aired in 1979) — ABC (on
        government agencies such as, especially, the CIA)

5. Marleen June 30, 2022 / 12:50 pm

As Pfizer looks to prolong its record profits, leaked footage of a luxury boat party with a Colombian presidential candidate gives us a glimpse into how the pharmaceutical giant really goes about its business. They just admitted this…

The fact that this occurred and this kind of thing was going on had been leaked before the Colombian election, and the first lefty leader of Colombia was elected instead of this candidate — last week.