Priorities

The United States Supreme Court’s priorities are all fucked up. Yesterday, as I wrote here, the six conservative justices overturned a 100 year old law in New York related to carrying guns. Today, the same six conservative justices overturned Roe v. Wade, the 50 year old decision legalizing abortions in the United States.

It seems that the Republican priorities for America are protecting the rights of gun owners and the National Rifle Association while taking away the personal rights of women to manage their own reproductive health.

What’s next? Banning contraception and gay marriage? Well, according to conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarance Thomas, the Supreme Court should reconsider rulings that protect contraception and same-sex marriage.

I don’t hate this country, but I do hate what Republicans are doing to this country.

20 thoughts on “Priorities

1. writerravenclaw June 24, 2022 / 8:40 am

This is awful news, and the sign of your politics over there. I saw the video of the senator who insisted carrying her gun was a right. Women have the right over their own bodies, which includes abortion. I wouldn’t but then I don’t judge others who do. I have no right to judge because I haven’t walked in their shoes.

2. Marleen June 24, 2022 / 10:03 am

I wonder if they took out the line citing “supply” of infants.

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 11:04 am

I VERY highly recommend reading this (second) article (by Lithwick).

…. Recall that removing babies from their parents was the animating theory behind the Canadian residential school atrocities and that, as Rebecca Nagle notes of Alito’s claims about the domestic baby supply, “for decades, the adoption industry has filled this gap disproportionately with children from communities of color—first through international adoption and now foster care.”

Recall, too, that some of the migrant children who were taken from their families and then irretrievably “lost” at the southern border under the Trump administration’s barbaric family separation regime were placed with allegedly deserving Christian families.

If you believe in fetal personhood and that “abortion is never medically necessary to save a woman’s life,” while directing shrinking resources toward parental leave, child hunger, health care, and poverty, and while threatening to cut off contraception access, you must justify forcing women to carry pregnancies to term regardless of the dangers to their own health and lives, regardless of cost, and regardless of the misery they or their children may suffer. One way around that thorny ethical dilemma is to simply assert that such children will be efficiently transferred to alternate parents who will value them.

But recall that some of the same groups clamoring for more “domestic” babies to be adopted by deserving families have sought to make it impossible for same-sex parents, or even non-Christian parents, to adopt them. And remember, Black babies cost less to adopt than other children—a “solution” to the perpetual mismatch between the supply of, and demand for, Black kids. So let’s please agree that, in the eyes of this very same group, not all babies are created equal and also that not all prospective parents are either.

….

I am crying, today, with a feeling of being literally punched in the gut, not only because of this decision (in fact less so for this than all the others coming out of the high court over the last two days until I read this article). It is similar to the day Kavanaugh [whose name has been taken out of recognition by autocorrect it appears] was moved forward in his nomination without due research into and presentation of his background of being an inappropriate selection; I was trying to be a little more repressed on that day, though, and attended a special event regardless.

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 1:49 pm

Simply the wording of domestic supply of infants (intuitively understood well enough on its own) grossed me out and prompted outrage within my soul a few weeks ago before it was being addressed in journalism and media. But I implore anyone who thinks they’re on the moral high-ground to delight in this decision, read the part of the article from Slate I didn’t quote (as if what I did quote shouldn’t be eye-opening to great effect already). I’m pretty sure your soul hangs in the balance. (And, then too, in you’re own fucking life… follow through on proper morals. I’ve seen plenty.)

3. Lauren June 24, 2022 / 10:37 am

The country is moving backwards to insanity (carrying guns) and lack of respect (abortion rights) to non white men. It’s just a matter of time before they outlaw contraceptives, gay marriage , ans interracial marriage. I am disgusted by the Republican party. My grandchildren will live in a backwards country without any common sense. My heart and soul are in mourning.

4. Marilyn Armstrong June 24, 2022 / 11:36 am

Ugly. Very ugly. Everything we worked for, every bit of progress we’ve made has been has been removed. Everything. And more and worse will come.

5. Maggie June 24, 2022 / 12:27 pm

It is a country I am having difficulty recognizing. This does not stop abortion, it just means it is more convenient for the wealthy. This decision cripples America in ways most refuse to see. This is not at all about saving the lives of unborn babies. As you said, Thomas has already shown us that. I am sick for all of us and especially for the women and the families of the future, for my children and grandchildren. And about those period tracking apps? Delete that crap now.

6. Taswegian1957 June 24, 2022 / 4:34 pm

It does make you wonder where this will all end? Maybe The Handmaid’s Tale was not so far fetched. America today is little better than Afghanistan or any other country where women are repressed.

• Fandango June 24, 2022 / 8:11 pm

I wish I could, but they won’t let me in. I could only get a short term visitor’s visa.

• donmatthewspoetry June 24, 2022 / 8:45 pm

You could visit relaxed in the feeling the next person’s not carrying a gun. America didn’t use to be like this when I was there. The only time I got ‘worried’ was crossing from El Paso to Juarez. Guards with rifles guarding the banks. Shady money changing . Children begging (for their parents). Not nice. Hopped back on bus pronto to El Paso………