Fandango’s Flashback Friday — June 24th

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 24th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on June 24, 2014 on my old blog.

Nothing to Write About

I don’t know what to write about today. I’ve been posting daily for a while now, and something always seems to pop into my head just in time for me to write about it.

Or a WordPress Daily Prompt comes to my rescue. But today’s prompt doesn’t do anything for me.

I’m not in the mood to rant about anything today and I don’t have any inspirational ideas for a piece of flash fiction, either.

It’s not as if there’s nothing going on the world that’s blogworthy. There’s all that crap still going on in Iraq, which, according to Dick Cheney, is all Obama’s fault.

The Supreme Court, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that anti-abortion protesters at abortion clinics are civil, respectful people who just wish to inform and educate women who are seeking an abortion about their alternatives. They really are sweethearts, those anti-abortion protesters.

Oh, there’s the World Cup (yawn). And baseball’s All-Star game is coming up in mid-July (double yawn).

Strange weather patterns are all around us, with severe droughts in some parts of the country and heavy rains and flooding in others. I’m sure it has nothing to do with climate change, though.

Have you heard about poor Hillary Clinton? I mean that literally. Poor Hillary. Just ask her. She says she’s dead broke.

The Pope has excommunicated all Mafia mobsters. That will teach ‘em. No doubt they’ll change their evil ways.

The IRS lost a bunch of emails due to a computer crash. I’m going to use that line the next time I’m called in for a tax audit. They should be able to relate to “I don’t have any of my tax records because my hard drive died.”

An ex-Goldman Sachs trader who told his mother he was going to get a $13 million bonus is suing his former employer because he only got a discretionary bonus of $8.25 million. Maybe he can float a loan to poor Hillary.

And then there was the American exchange student in Germany who climbed inside a giant stone sculpture of a vagina, got stuck, and had to be pulled out of the vagina by 22 firefighters.

So please accept my sincerest apology. I don’t know what to write about today. I seem to be at a loss for words. Maybe something will come to me by tomorrow.

17 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — June 24th

1. donmatthewspoetry June 24, 2022 / 3:22 am

I accept your apology.

However I did find the vagina situation blogworthy……..

2. Carol anne June 24, 2022 / 3:28 am

so much there in that post!
    Lol at the student getting stuck in the sculpture of the vagina! Very funny!

3. Irene June 24, 2022 / 5:41 am

Sorry my entry got linked twice. Thank you for hosting, Fandango!

• Fandango June 24, 2022 / 9:33 am

No worries. Thanks for joining in.

4. Nope, Not Pam June 24, 2022 / 6:17 am

😂

5. newepicauthor June 24, 2022 / 6:19 am

You may not have responded to a prompt, but it seems like you had plenty to say.

6. Marleen June 25, 2022 / 8:15 am

The infinite Supreme Court “wisdom” wouldn’t have had a chance without the “liberal” brain power on The Court. I assume you were talking about when “protesters” were allowed to get closer to the people they wanted to harass.

• Marleen June 25, 2022 / 6:22 pm

I must be thinking of a different decision. There was one where I thought there was simply a change in the distance to be enforced (and liberal justices made it possible for the space to be made smaller). I don’t remember what year.

Here is 2014.

While the justices were unanimous in their votes today, they were split in their reasoning — with Chief Justice John Roberts writing one opinion, Justice Antonin Scalia writing another (joined by Justices Anthony Kennedy and Clarence Thomas), and Judge Samuel Alito penning a third.

Roberts wrote that because the law regulates public sidewalks that have special speech protections as places for discussion and debate, it also restricts access to a public forum.

With its buffer zone law, Massachusetts took “the extreme step of closing a substantial portion of a traditional public forum to all speakers,” Roberts wrote in his opinion.

“Even though the Act is content neutral, it still must be ‘narrowly tailored to serve a significant governmental interest,’ ” Roberts wrote, citing a precedent.

He later added, “The buffer zones burden substantially more speech than necessary to achieve the Commonwealth’s asserted interests.”

………

I see Roberts as thinking logically. His stand, revealed yesterday, wouldn’t have struck down “Roe” as a whole but would have accepted the restrictive state law.

Comments are closed.