Just What America Needs

The Supreme Court today struck down a New York law that placed strict limits on carrying guns outside the home, saying it was at odds with the Second Amendment. Despite a spate of mass shootings in America, the court’s conservative justices prevailed in a 6 to 3 decision (strictly along party lines) that struck down a New York law requiring a special need for carrying a weapon and puts at risk similar laws in Maryland, California, New Jersey, Hawaii and Massachusetts. The ruling is likely to make it easier to carry guns in some of the nation’s biggest cities.

Enacted more than a century ago, New York’s law requires those who want to carry a concealed weapon for self-defense to show a specific need for doing so.

The court’s dissenting liberals said the majority had distorted history and ignored the court’s precedents. President Biden and Democratic officials called the ruling tone-deaf and ill-timed in the wake of recent mass killings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Tex.

Of course, the National Rifle Association, which helped challenge the New York law and has longed for such a decision clarifying the constitutional right to “bear arms,” called the decision a “watershed win.”

“New Yorkers will soon be able to defend themselves outside of their homes without first having to prove that they have a sufficient ‘need’ to exercise their fundamental rights,” Jason Ouimet, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement. The ruling, he said, “opens the door to rightly change the law” in the half dozen other states “that still don’t recognize the right to carry a firearm for personal protection.”

Great. Just what America needs, more guns on the streets.

58 thoughts on “Just What America Needs

• donmatthewspoetry June 23, 2022 / 9:01 pm

Common sense alone would tell you it’s the wrong decision……the right to bear arms seems to overide everything….the constitution needs changing….no chance Don

1. newepicauthor June 23, 2022 / 6:13 pm

Only crazy people feel a need to carry guns with them wherever they go, so this opens the door to let all the crazies out.

2. Nope, Not Pam June 23, 2022 / 6:21 pm

I’m sorry but this is simply moronic

3. Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris June 23, 2022 / 6:37 pm

If they want to pick the second amendment apart and only choose certain words [out of context] to honor; then I choose the first sentence as it stands alone in two parts.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

1) If someone wants to EARN the right to bear arms, they must be part of a well REGULATED militia. Fine – everyone who wants to carry a firearm (in particular an assault rifle) MUST be drafted to serve his or her country to keep our country secure and free.

2) Arm those wishing to ‘“bear arms” with the exact same weapon(s) that were in use at the time of the writing of The Constitution.

And as an aside, I am am American Citizen and I am threatened by those people who are little more than terrorists carrying weapons “in case” something happens – like road rage, or their burger isn’t cooked correctly. I believe these people misread and misinterpret the Second Amendment purposefully to further their own capital gains and political careers. Keep a gun in your own home if that makes you feel better, but leave the assault weapons to those actually paid to assault, legally and for the right reasons.

• Fandango June 23, 2022 / 8:43 pm

Well said. I couldn’t agree with you more.

4. Marleen June 23, 2022 / 8:55 pm

I think “conservatives” who get to powerful positions are part of a cult. It’s already been said of Amy Coney Barrette. But they made another capricious decision that we heard about, today. They have been told what to say or vote or think, not what principles are. I see us as in a worse place than we thought.

The capricious part about the gun decision is that it “provided” for an exception as to sensitive places. There is no definition for this. This will have to be overturned by a morally upstanding group in the future, if we can still be around as a country. A future Court would additionally need to save free speech.

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 9:30 am

I agree, and that’s why I have quotation marks. But it goes back before the Trump era. [And. We can observably see that the Bush administration (largely run by Cheney, the elder, “Dick”/Richard) did great harm with torture and getting us in the Iraq war.] Clarence Thomas should not be on The Court, and he kept his mouth shut as long as Scalia was alive (although Scalia backed some horrid decisions too). Thomas literally didn’t contribute to the Court discourse until recently despite the fact he was on The Court. [I can’t ignore the fact Biden was complicit in this confirmation, back then, either.] But I was a conservative; anyone who could look at the way things were going and stay in the conservative camp wasn’t looking, or wasn’t thinking… or was evil, is. I know there are still people there who aren’t evil and are naive or hopefully idealistic or something. In a lot of ways, I am conservative. But we get basically two choices in this country. Besides that, it’s often looking like we really only get one.

Aside from that analysis and philosophy, moving on, there were two decisions, today (I mean yesterday), that undermine free speech — and I’m not including the privacy aspect of “Roe” or a right not speak or share personal information in that count of two — and the separation of church and state (so this is the first amendment rather than second). I seriously think we are on a downward trajectory. A person can be a conservative and think straight (by which I mean with logic and integrity and respect for other people’s/peoples’ freedom and rights). But that hasn’t been happening for decades, now, I terms of momentum. The blips weren’t blips, it seems. Meanwhile, the big tech media companies (most of them or the biggest ones) are curtailing free speech, too. Maybe there’s a problem with my definition of conservative in a country where there can’t be much nuance, and the religious are only the camel nose. The crazy’s have to be in your party (because there is no party to really belong with).

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 11:20 am

To be clear, I am a person of faith (so much do that I am made fun of and looked at with the side eye from all sides). But we are being used by authoritarians when we get into organizations with political fervor toward the right-wing or even if we don’t speak up against that. You, Xingfu, are a bright voice (whether you are religious or into faith or not).

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 11:27 am

I should add that my religious background was not right or left. My conservative indoctrination was separate from my private schools and my own faith. That’s how I got out (of the movement); because I could still think and pray. I don’t know how we retrieve the name conservative from what is the most powerfully connected to it here. I’d be glad to do so. At the same time, there are conservatives who have begun trying to reclaim/claim/reappropriate the same word that they used to spit on — liberal.

• XingfuMama June 24, 2022 / 5:24 pm

I think we’re in agreement! It’s possible to think that we need to balance financial inflow and outflow without telling others how they must live their own lives.

• Fandango June 24, 2022 / 9:34 am

That is very true.

5. Sadje June 23, 2022 / 10:16 pm

I’d say it’s sad and unfortunate decision.

6. Lolsy's Library June 24, 2022 / 3:51 am

Then I heard that the SC have made it so the police can’t be sued for “forgetting” the Miranda rights?

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 9:47 am

Roe and guns are going to take the stage, but these Miranda rights and first amendment matters will ruin us. And, beside that, the irrationality of this current Supreme Court. I don’t mean irrationality in that they might disagree with me. I mean, for instance, a company “is a person” such that it’s mega bucks are “free speech” (to the detriment of regular actual people), while it can also be told to shut up if a/the state tells it to. We are losing everything, and it has been gaining momentum for decades. I could give more examples, but it would get too long.

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 1:15 pm

… its …

• Lolsy's Library June 26, 2022 / 4:03 am

As an Australian, it’s so sad. I don’t think my brain has the compacity to deal with it.

7. Richmond Road June 24, 2022 / 4:50 am

The argument is, it seems, that I need a weapon to defend myself and my family should some bad dude come to my home intent on rape and pillage. If I could be guaranteed that the maximum firepower he had at his disposal was an axe, then all I would need was an axe of my own, or, so as to overpower him, maybe something more efficient like a sword. But if he realises I have a sword would he not turn up with something like a single shot rifle? Should I then not utilise my 2nd amendment rights by purchasing something with a magazine such that I could fire off multiple rounds and overpower him? But then, recognising my superior weapons arsenal would he not sling out the extra cash and utilise his own god-given rights to keep a Russian assault weapon in the back seat of the car? How long is it before he turns up with a helicopter gunship and I need a rocket launcher in the shed to defend my family? Why don’t I just get way ahead of the game and invest in some nuclear weapons?
    It sounds crazy, doesn’t it?
    Yes. It sounds crazy.
    I’m not really part of a well regulated militia, by the way. But hell, who reads the fine print?

• mosckerr July 12, 2022 / 5:20 am

Biden’s State visit to the Middle East & Israel.

Nothing to see, move on. Biden will not negate the Petro-dollar monopoly which President Nixon negotiated to counter the demand made by the French for gold or silver for their international dollars. Uncle Joe will not return the US dollar to a commodity based gold/silver currency. OPEC’s economic alliance with Washington shall not change. OPEC shall require all countries who buy their petroleum to pay in US Dollars. No other currency permitted to pay for Middle East produced petroleum products. Washington’s taxation of OPEC petroleum brings much needed cash into a totally bankrupt system.

Obviously this State visit, not the forum to address the growing threats to American internal anarchy and chaos on its domestic front. The storm clouds of Civil War hang over Washington something like the hangman placing a hood over the head of the criminal. American Civil society degenerates on a daily basis into deeper chaos and anarchy between and among American citizens who hate and despise one another worse than they do foreign enemies abroad.

The coming Mid-term Congressional elections promise the political retirement of Pelosi, Waters, and Adam S(c)hit/ff, the pollution and smog of Californian politics. Israeli leaders wait with great anticipation, the return of President Trump, and his excellent leadership to restore Order and calm within a very fragmented American ally.

The American national debt does very much concern Israeli strategic interests. If America falls into an internal revolution, Israeli relations with our Arab and Muslim neighbours would most probably likewise collapse. The public divorce of Arab stateless refugees compares to Black September of 1970. Uprooting the Arab stateless refugee nihilism from among our nation has become a heightened priority.

But this State visit, by a senile President, such crucial issues – completely ignored. Biden’s handlers have directed him to address different types of “external superficial bandages” for the festering wounds caused by the terrorism made Balestinian refugee criminal populations, temporarily residing within the borders of the Jewish state.

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 9:52 am

Yeah, the “fine print” — as in the predicate for the whole thing. I think it could be rationalized that regular people could be part of a militia in addition to “the armed forces.” But there needs to be regulation.

• Fandango June 24, 2022 / 11:14 am

Not just regulations, but “well regulated.”

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 11:38 am

Yes, well regulated. Neither too restricted nor too blaissez
          fair (or lazy faire); yes, I’m playing with words.

• Richmond Road June 24, 2022 / 2:11 pm

We can be fairly confident that the 2nd amendment doesn’t anywhere use the word ‘unregulated’ …. it’s not a typo.
        And yet deregulation seems to be at the heart of those so vehemently claiming to be upholding it.

• Marleen June 25, 2022 / 11:27 pm

It’s not a typo.

• Richmond Road June 26, 2022 / 1:27 am

No. I didn’t think so. But you could forgive me for being confused.
            Is it not the same bunch, more or less, campaigning for gun ‘rights’ who are now celebrating the withdrawal of abortion rights? Isn’t it not the same bunch, more or less, screaming out about ‘right to life’ who are also intent on increasing the availability of equipment specifically designed to take life?
            When I see the screaming mobs with banners displaying moronic arguments about firearms and foetuses I wonder how many of their own mothers now regret having not exercised their right to abortion back when they had the chance.

• Marleen June 26, 2022 / 2:22 am

Well, and the same folks who are (for the time being) touting states rights when it comes to abortion are against that when it comes to guns (despite that pretty much being the implication or responsibility in The freakin’ Constitution specifically on guns or armaments). I’m trying, now, to get the idea of “due process” straight. I though I always had the concept. You don’t have to let officers inside your home (or, conceivably, your car) without a warrant and/or reasonable suspicion. But it’s coming up in the context of interracial marriage and stuff. I’m so confused. And the fetuses count, but the kids in school (as well as those assumed to be protected by retraining orders which is yet another story) don’t so much.

• Fandango June 26, 2022 / 6:24 am

Yes, it’s the same ones. They are also the same ones who squawked about how mandates for wearing face masks or getting COVID-19 vaccines were infringing upon their personal freedoms and that they had every right to choose not to wear masks or get vaccinated. But women whose personal freedoms and whose choices about unwanted, unplanned pregnancies are being infringed upon by banning abortions — well that’s just fine and dandy. 😠

• Marleen June 26, 2022 / 10:36 am

We have to work on how to improve the situation. I understand your argument about vaccines and the terminology those mother fuckers decided to wave in everybody’s faces, but getting into bed with big pharmaceutical or mega business in any way as standing isn’t going to help us fundamentally. We need to sort out the important pieces of law, the concepts that can be codified (while not harping on that way — “codified” — of saying it to the general public where the thinking has to be reworded to appeal to, like, a sixth-grade education). They wanted to annoy with selecting that slogan. [We also shall do better to drop the “Roe” reference in the new legislation. Roe was a person who changed her position, throughout life, based upon who was paying her or paying attention to her and what her impulse was for the day.]

Samuel Alito’s Lies Didn’t Stop with the Confirmation Hearing

• Marleen June 26, 2022 / 11:44 am

[podcaster’s] Guest Provides Cover for
              Cowardly Uvalde Cops’ Incompetence

• Fandango June 26, 2022 / 11:15 pm

I don’t listen to Joe Rogan. Ever!

• Marleen June 27, 2022 / 12:26 pm

I don’t either, as I don’t listen to FOX”news” but sometimes want to be aware of what they’re saying. I also don’t trust the CDC (which seems to have given up in science), but I like to know what is going on with them (more so).

How “wise” (sarcastically stated): Makes Me Angry · Streamed 4 days ago

8. kristianw84 June 24, 2022 / 4:56 am

Ugh! I do not understand how mass shootings aren’t enough to make our politicians want to do something! Sad, indeed…

9. jegoldie June 24, 2022 / 8:39 am

Would security let guns into a Ballpark for a Yankee’s game in New York? Hmmm 🤔😔

• Fandango June 24, 2022 / 10:54 am

Why not? Didn’t God, who gave our Founding Fathers the inspiration to write the Second Amendment to grant Americans the right to bear arms any place and at any time? What better place to take out a threat to America’s national pastime than taking shots at those who oppose the Yankees?

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 1:30 pm

There was that guy in the January sixth hearings who said he believed the constitution and its amendments are divinely inspired and something about his faith, his deepest beliefs. I was like, “I think he really believes that.” It was impressive. For him, the outcome on the subject matter of order was good. But there is so much that goes bonkers. It’s possible that the writers had some inspiration (even by God) in their lives. That doesn’t mean they got everything in their legal endeavors or, certainly, their lives right. Additionally, even if they did the best they could, we need to take the best of it and do better; BETTER. These liars who pick and choose their “originalist” shit can go to hell. I’m pretty sure the balloons (major league) will be treated in the category of sensitive spaces. We are set up to go hyperdrive on hypocrisy and worship of the dollar, which was bad enough already. I’m glad you included the hundred-year-old history reference. They call on history and tradition, but they don’t give a shit about life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness… unless you substitute property or money for happiness (and rely very super heavily on the last).

• Marleen June 24, 2022 / 1:32 pm

Not “balloons”: … ballparks …

• Fandango June 24, 2022 / 1:57 pm

Yeah, I figured that.

10. jegoldie June 24, 2022 / 11:12 am

😢
    First of all I may live on the North American Continent but I’m not an Ununited States citizen.
    They say Stadiums have top security processes but I dunno. I’m still worried.

11. paeansunplugged June 26, 2022 / 4:50 am

Yeah! Arm everyone with guns ! What is happening to the country everyone looked up to!

• Fandango June 26, 2022 / 6:32 am

It has disappeared and now everyone is scratching their heads wondering the same thing, including many Americans.

12. Marleen July 3, 2022 / 8:44 am

I actually wonder when our nation started dumbing down the schools. My mom’s dad did accounting and architectural work his while life after an eighth-grade education and a couple of night classes at a high school (where my grandmother was also taking night classes). There’s a test that deems people incompetent if they aren’t up to having graduated from high school. I don’t doubt that the test is right; that wouldn’t have been a correct characterization in, say, the sixties. Meanwhile, I agree with the post just above this one that points out the ongoing purposeful ruin of our schools, in terms of money and academics, along with the gun situation.

Comments are closed.