Door Stops

Recently, the Ragtag Daily Prompt was “door stop.” I am finally getting around to responding with photos of three door stops in my home.

This first one is a cheap door stop that essentially stops a door that’s flung open from hitting a perpendicular wall.

This next one is a fancy, fashionable door stop that we have in our main bedroom (formerly called master bedroom until that terminology was declared to be politically incorrect) in order to prevent the door from slamming shut on a windy day when the bedroom windows are open.

And finally, this next photo is more of a gate stop than a door stop. And it’s just a rock. It allows us to prop open the swinging wooden gate to our side yard, which we use as a dog run (and doggie bathroom) for our recently acquired rescue dog.

12 thoughts on “Door Stops

1. bushboy June 18, 2022 / 12:57 pm

The bedroom one is wonderful Fandango. I love the practicality of the artistic garden rock no doubt sourced and chosen with purpose. Thanks for joining in 🙂 🙂

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 18, 2022 / 1:43 pm

I really meant to respond to this one because have at least a dozen antique cast iron door stops plus a bunch of equally old (just about 120 years now) book ends. But we use all of them. Cast iron doesn’t get old and they all still suppose books and old doors in place.

• Fandango June 18, 2022 / 4:10 pm

You should post some photos of them. It’s not too late.

3. Marilyn Armstrong June 18, 2022 / 1:44 pm

The shiny stainless steel one is really interesting. Also, I think we have a very similar rock. It holds open a door in the basement.

4. Sadje June 18, 2022 / 5:14 pm

I like the last one for its simplicity and character

5. Marleen June 18, 2022 / 6:20 pm

Doorstops are a good thing. I don’t actually have any in the house where I am now. There is one in the house I own with one of my sons; all it does is hold the kitchen door open all of the time, it being a rubber wood-color wedge. An antique side table sits between the door and the perpendicular wall of the dining room. At the house that was my dad’s, and which is where my mom lives, there’s a painted wooden duck that holds the first-floor bathroom door open (not all of the time); we move it in and out of the way with a foot.

How fantastic to have a side yard to use for the dog!

6. Nope, Not Pam June 19, 2022 / 3:56 am

When did master bedroom become a no no? Was this the same time we got chest milk? 🙄

• Fandango June 19, 2022 / 6:42 am

“Chest milk”? 😂

It was just recently, like within the past year or two. We watch a lot of HGTV and they now refer to the master bedroom as the “main” or “primary” bedroom. At first I thought it was because “master” was sexist, but it’s apparently because of slavery, where the slave owners were called “masters.” I wrote about it here: https://fivedotoh.com/2020/12/31/politically-correct-nomenclature/