Double Whammy

You may have noticed that I haven’t been around most of the day. Or maybe you didn’t notice, and hey, that’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up if you didn’t miss me.

It’s Thursday night at around 10:45 pm. I’m in my bedroom, laying in bed. The only light is coming from my iPhone and I’m connected to WordPress via cellular rather than WiFi. That’s because our power is out. For the second time today.

The first outage occurred just before noon and lasted for about three hours. My wife and I were watching the January 6th hearings when the TV shut off. It took a few seconds for our whole house generator to kick in and the power was restored. For a about ten minutes, anyway.

Then the generator sputtered and died. I went out, lifted open the top of the generator, and saw this across the small LCD screen:

My first phone call was to the company that installed the generator in the fall of 2020. It’s now out of business. Next I called the customer service line of the generator’s manufacturer. The woman I spoke to gave me the names and phone numbers of authorized service providers in my area. I finally connected with the fourth one I called, but he couldn’t come over today and said he’d call me back first thing tomorrow morning.

Fortunately, by the time I got off the phone with him, our electricity had come back on.

Tonight, my wife and I were binge-watching “Bosch: Legacy” on Prime Video when the power when off. Again. And it’s still out. So we took our dog out for her last walk of the day, came back to our pitch black house, and decided to just hit the sack.

All I can say is it’s a good thing today was a lot cooler than it had been earlier in the week and that tonight it’s dipping down to the low 50s. Hopefully our power will be restored sometime during the night.

But my god, it’s only June and we’ve lost power twice just today. At this rate, it could be a very long, hot summer.

9 thoughts on “Double Whammy

1. Carol anne June 17, 2022 / 1:49 am

I did notice, and for a minute, i thought wordpress had kicked me off from following you, so I went in and checked, but no it hadnt, so then, I did wonder if you were ok!

• Fandango June 17, 2022 / 6:00 am

Thanks for noticing.

2. Nope, Not Pam June 17, 2022 / 3:20 am

We’re experiencing blackouts here as well. High winds and storms, at least the power bill might be lower 😂

3. rugby843 June 17, 2022 / 9:12 am

Loved the Bosch series and yes, I think it’s just the beginning—that climate change effects will occur sooner and more frequent than anyone realizes

Sent from my iPhone

4. Marleen June 17, 2022 / 10:26 am

I am so glad I had no inclination to beat myself up — because I did notice. But it’s good you encouraged anyone who didn’t notice to also not do so 😅. 😢I’m so sorry to hear that your whole-house generator is a dud (or at least requires fixing and didn’t serve you for long).

5. Marilyn Armstrong June 17, 2022 / 11:49 am

We haven’t lost power (yet but there’s a thunderstorm in progress), but we’ve been up and down with wifi. It’s the summer and no one has upgraded their systems in a long time, but they sure have upgraded the prices!

6. Taswegian1957 June 18, 2022 / 4:22 am

Sorry to hear you were having problems with power. We had that problem last week when we had wild winds and rain, it’s winter here of course. We were lucky we only lost it for 2 hours. We don’t have a generator. Others were off for a day or more.

• Fandango June 18, 2022 / 12:32 pm

We had our third outages last night in two days, but this one only lasted for about half an hour. Still, three failures in two days!

Comments are closed.