TMP — More Whine Than Peeve

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. I didn’t get around to it yesterday, so I hope nobody minds that I’m a day late. Plus, my peeve today is not really a peeve as much as it is a whine. Are you ready?

When I was a kid, I was rather tall and skinny. Perhaps that’s why my best friend’s father used to call me either “String bean” or “Beanpole.” How skinny was I? Well, when in the 10th grade, I was 6’1” and weighed in at 105 pounds.

As a young man I filled out a little, but when I bought dress shirts or sport shirts, I had to buy what they called “tapered” shirts back then, and which are now typically referred to as “fitted” or “slim”

I wore tapered shirts for years until I was in my late-thirties, when the tapered shirts were beginning to feel too tight on me. So I then started buying “regular” cut shirts. 16/34 for dress shirts (for work) and large/regular for sport shirts/casual shirts.

Today, I wear mostly T-shirts and sweatshirts, but I have about half a dozen collared, casual sport shirts in my closet that I rotate through when I have to go out of the house. I recently noticed that most of my shirts have fraying collars and are starting to look a little ragged. So, I decided it was time to pick up a few new shirts.

I typically don’t tuck my shirts into my pants, which means when I do wear casual, collared shirts, the shirttails hang down pretty long. I had recently received a brochure in the mail from a shirt manufacturer called UNTUCKit®. Their shirts are meant to be worn untucked, so their shirttails are cut shorter. UNTUCKit shirts come in standard men’s shirt sizes and in three cuts: slim, regular, and relaxed. So I ordered three new shirts in size large, regular cut.

They arrived last week and I pulled one out of the box, put it on, and asked my wife how it looked. “It looks a little tight,” she said. “And I’m afraid that when you sit down, you might pop a button or two.”

Ugh. There is some fine print on the UNTUCKit website that says that their regular cut shirts “run slightly smaller than traditional shirts,” but I must have missed that notation when I made my original order.

So I packed up the large/regular shirts that I received, went onto the UNTUCKit website, and initiated an exchange for three large/relaxed shirts. The UNTUCKit website says the relaxed shirt adds three extra inches of room in the body compared with the regular cut.

So now I wait for my replacement shirts to arrive, feeling depressed that my body has evolved from “slim” to “regular” to “relaxed.”

22 thoughts on “TMP — More Whine Than Peeve

1. Marleen June 14, 2022 / 8:39 am

Hey! You and I each weighed the same in tenth grade. I grew another inch after that, but still weighted 105.

You’re doing great to still fit in a standard shirt (even if not a paired-down regular). Relaxed isn’t “oversized.”

2. rugby843 June 14, 2022 / 8:49 am

According to their site. Every manufacturer, especially different country’s is different. When I used to buy clothing for work I noticed the more expensive, the smaller the labeled size, so it never bothered me because it’s all relative.

Sent from my iPhone

3. Sadje June 14, 2022 / 9:03 am

If we stay alive for long enough, this fate awaits most of us.

4. Paula Light June 14, 2022 / 9:19 am

I have weighed the same for a long time, yet my clothes have become tighter. Obviously it is from climate change fucking with fabric fibers. What else could it be??? 😂

5. Marleen June 15, 2022 / 11:25 am

Peeve!

More from Axios:

Democratic groups are buying ads touting some of the most extreme pro-Trump candidates in Republican primaries around the country — meddling in GOP contests to set up more favorable matchups in November. Why it matters: The risky gambit assumes general-election voters will reject candidates who embrace conspiracy theories or lies about the 2020 election. But it could dramatically backfire by vaulting fringe Republicans into national office.

Not only did Democrats evidently learn absolutely nothing from the 2016 election …

• Marleen June 15, 2022 / 2:56 pm

I’m kinda wondering if we’re in the process of being intimidated into accepting Republican stances (taking over the Democratic Party) from those who aren’t stark raving crazy or reckless, as if we have to go conservative (“moderate”) to not be robbed of any semblance of a democracy (really republic with rule of the rich). Liz Cheney is so awesome, why don’t we all be like her (or join her ilk and her father’s as submissives if we can’t be rich); no need for a marketplace of ideas and conversation in our voting opportunities. But I just came across this communication channel that might be helpful. (If you scroll down, there’s an interesting presentation on the “tour” that happened the day before the insurrection.)

• Marleen June 18, 2022 / 11:00 am

When I looked, again, at the site link (above) I couldn’t find the piece I’d seen per the “tour” of the Capitol Complex. This is a different interesting presentation (plus additional information):

[FOX”news”/laura ingraham] Sent Scrambling After Capitol Footage Exposes …Loudermilk

I had not heard, before, that the insurrectionists wanted to literally gas people in the tunnels.

{Yes. Why’re corporate Democrats (conservative as we don’t notice) against progressives?}

• Marleen June 19, 2022 / 8:42 am

Krystal Ball {her real name} dominates [as guest] with Facts

• Marleen June 18, 2022 / 11:29 am

How [Drumpf] Duped/[Scammed] … His Most Passionate Fans | Someone is Going to Jail for this Right?

• Marleen June 20, 2022 / 11:28 am

New SCOTUS [Supreme Court of the United States] Decision Allows
      Unconstitutional Home Invasions and Assaults: Briahna Joy Gray

• Marleen June 20, 2022 / 11:30 am

Oops! Here it is:

• Marleen June 20, 2022 / 12:07 pm

Mayra Flores Flips Blue District Red, thanks [in part] to
          Elon Musk as he hints he will vote Ron DeSantis 2024

• Marleen June 20, 2022 / 12:43 pm

The View Hosts in Denial About 2022
            Red Wave, Downplay Mayra Flores Win

6. Carol anne June 16, 2022 / 10:14 pm

It doesnt matter, being a chunky monkey is good 😀 xoxo

Comments are closed.