Share Your World — 06/13/2022

Another Monday has come around and that means it’s time for another round of Melanie’s Share Your World.

What is one topic you really like to talk about? Or something you really want to tell people?

There of two of me. The one here on WordPress you know as Fandango. And here, I like to express my views, perspectives, and opinions about what’s going on around me, including those three classic controversial topics of sex, religion, and politics. In other words, I’ll talk about anything.

And then there’s the real world me. And for the real world me, when it comes to sex, religion, and politics, I will keep my mouth shut (except with members of my immediate family).

What do you normally never tell strangers about yourself? (Be general, I don’t need to know details or invade privacy.)

I rarely tell strangers anything about myself. Why would I? They’re strangers, for crissake.

Have you ever broken anything? (Can be health related, emotion related, or situation related – you define “broken anything” for your own satisfaction.)

I’ve broken a big toe, a couple of fingers, a few ribs. I haven’t broken any hearts that I’m aware of. But I’ve broken my fair share of glasses, plates, and bowls. And when I was in college, I broke the world’s record for continuous hours in a shower, which record was broken only a few months later.

Is having a big ego a negative trait or positive trait?

Having a big ego isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We each have an ego and our ego helps us define our sense of self-worth. A positive self-worth enables us to feel pride in our past and confidence in our ability to deal with the present and the future. There is nothing wrong with feeling positive about yourself. But the ego needs to be kept in check. The problems with an oversized, unbridled ego arise when it turns a person into a self-absorbed, arrogant person who feels that he or she is superior to others.

What aspects of your city or neighborhood are you grateful for?

We live in a safe, friendly suburban town with nice neighbors, a quaint downtown with good restaurants and shops, and all in a rather scenic area at the foot of Mount Diablo.

18 thoughts on “Share Your World — 06/13/2022

1. newepicauthor June 13, 2022 / 10:52 am

Dave Hoffman spent 174 hours in the shower, on Jan. 27, 1972, in his dorm at IU and he holds the record now. How long did you last?

• Fandango June 13, 2022 / 11:05 am

101 hours because I was told that the previous record was 100 hours.

2. Melanie B Cee June 13, 2022 / 12:47 pm

Thanks for Sharing Your World Fandango! I tend to think that most bloggers have two personas…the one that they share online (which is usually far more open and outspoken than the real version) and that real version which (if you’re me) doesn’t always act as people expect, thereby frustrating those who like to put people in neat little boxes with labels. I’m more outspoken than I used to be though. I agree with your thoughts on ego and being a long time sufferer of low self esteem, I understand the value of having a positive view of oneself. It’s tough to do sometimes and yes, I think it holds people back from enjoying a full life. It bugs me a bit to read or hear someone from a different country or culture profile “American” as big egos, loud mouths and too much entitlement. A majority of our populace are that way, but doing that generalization thing just burns me. I’m glad you enjoy the neighborhood where you moved to, but to give up San Francisco? You are much more thoughtful than I’d be. But I’m not a grandparent and from observing my siblings on the rare occasions we get together with their grandchildren around, I realize I can’t understand the bond. It’s lovely to see of course and I enjoy watching others with their grandchildren. From the sidelines. Have a wonderful week!

• Fandango June 13, 2022 / 8:08 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I hope you have a great week, too.

3. Marilyn Armstrong June 13, 2022 / 6:05 pm

I think there’s a big difference between a “big ego” and a “strong ego.” The first is a narcissist. The second is confident.

I think all of us are have multiple parts. Garry on camera is a very different person than the private Garry. TV Garry is outgoing and never stops talking. Homestyle Garry is not outgoing though if you get him started on a subject about which he knows, He can get pretty spirited.

4. DailyMusings June 14, 2022 / 3:06 am

I loved what you wrote about ego and shared it on my blog, linking your page. It totally summed up beautifully what I was thinking.
    Lisa

• Fandango June 14, 2022 / 10:34 am

Yes, in 2020 we moved from San Francisco, where we lived about 2 miles from the ocean, to the East Bay, where we are about 30 miles from the San Francisco Bay.

5. Marleen June 16, 2022 / 1:34 am

I broke the habit of biting my nails (just sometimes and not like a pathological tick) in fifth grade, cold turkey. I was kinda proud of myself for the decision power. But I started doing it again maybe a year ago. Yet, I quit again. I’m not proud, this time. Just sensible.

My mom is a bizarre mix of ego, id, and superego (with no understanding). So… there’s mostly ego going on there, informed by notions of what she perceives would qualify as superego; plus impulses (id). So, I’m slightly bitter about national ego seminars.