Five Things I Don’t Buy Anymore

For her 5 Things prompt this week, Dr. Tanya pointed out that “after the pandemic and during the current geopolitical situation, inflation is on an upward spiral.” So she’s asking us to list five things that we don’t buy anymore.

1. Gasoline — As I mentioned in Tanya’s 5 Things prompt last week, last August my wife and I bought an EV (electric vehicle). With the price of a gallon of gas approaching $7.00 where we live in Northern California, I no longer have to buy gasoline to fill up my car. Yay!

2. Suits and ties — Since I retired at the end of 2016, I no longer wear suits, so I no longer have to spend money on suits and ties. I still have a few in my closet just in case there’s ever an occasion where I’d have to wear a suit and tie, but I don’t even know if my suits would still fit me.

3. Aftershave lotion or cologne — I have a full (albeit neatly trimmed) beard, so I don’t have much use for aftershave lotion. Besides, being retired and rarely going out anymore due to the pandemic, what’s the point of putting on aftershave or cologne? Who am I trying to impress with my smell? My wife doesn’t wear perfume anymore, either.

4. Cable TV — I cut the cord about a year and a half ago when I dumped my cable provider, Xfinity/Comcast, in favor of steaming. I bought a Roku Streaming Stick and subscribed to a handful of streaming services plus local broadcast TV stations. And I essentially get everything that I had been watching on cable TV for less than half the cost.

5. Cat food and kitty litter — This past January we had to say goodbye to our sweet little cat. Hence, we no longer spend money on cat food or kitty litter. A few months later, however, we adopted a rescue dog. Now we more than make up for what we used to spend on cat food and kitty litter buying dog food, dog treats, frozen bones, and chew toys. What were we thinking?

19 thoughts on “Five Things I Don’t Buy Anymore

1. slmret June 8, 2022 / 9:52 am

Gasoline was $6.99 in South Orange County about 10 days ago — I am doing a lot less driving these days! In your conversion to the use of EV, have you noticed an increase in the use of electricity?

• Fandango June 8, 2022 / 9:43 pm

Between our electric car and our two ebikes, our electric bill has gone up only a very little. Hardly noticeable, actually. We typically charge the car once a week starting at midnight, when the rates are at their lowest.

2. Stevie Turner June 8, 2022 / 10:04 am

The government here in the U.K have thought up a ‘tyre tax’ to reap in money from electric vehicles who no longer pay fuel excise duty.

3. Michael B. Fishman June 8, 2022 / 10:17 am

#3 = What about beard wash and conditioner and lube and oil? The stuff to buy is nearly endless!
    #4 = I’d like to do that but don’t feel tech savvy enough to actually cut the cord. Do you still get your internet through Xfinity?

• Fandango June 8, 2022 / 9:47 pm

I shampoo my beard. No conditioner, lube, or oil. 😂 Yes, I still use Xfinity for internet, but it’s about 35% of what I used to pay for internet plus cable.

4. Marilyn Armstrong June 8, 2022 / 7:51 pm

We cut the cord a couple of years ago. I think we spend as much as we did on cable, but we get a lot more for the money. Now, we are disconnecting channels we don’t watch or watch so rarely, there’s no point in paying for them. The real problem is sports, especially baseball. They have made it SO expensive it’s ridiculous. $30/MONTH to see the Sox play! JUST the Sox, not the rest of baseball. Seriously. I gather other teams, the Dodgers in particular, are doing the same thing. If they do this right, they may make it impossible for most kids to watch games. What will they do for fans in the future?

• Fandango June 8, 2022 / 11:47 pm

I “watch” most of the Sox games on an app on my iPhone called The Score. I’m not actually watching the game as much as I’m getting near-real-time pitch-by-pitch updates.

5. Marleen June 8, 2022 / 9:29 pm

Regular panties. Calamari rings (if I’ve ever actually bought them rather than shared a few off a shared plate); I’m not interested in them any more since I found out they are often sliced intestine (rather than actually squid). Mascara… nope, I ended up buying some new mascara just about a week ago (after about five-and-a-half years since my dad’s death… but I haven’t used it yet). I have to go back really far in time to think of something else I’ve stopped buying. Long (like almost four decsdes ago), long ago… I stopped ever buying any thing at all with hydrogenated oil in it. Oh, I’ve remembered another recent thing: masks (particularly of stylish colors and prints).

• Marleen June 9, 2022 / 10:07 am

On the panties: I hate panty lines (and I think thongs are stupid besides uncomfortable and that there are often visible lines with them as well), so I buy various lengths of panties that reach down on the thighs (anywhere from four inches or past the knee as well, length depending upon what clothes will be over, because I hate a line on the thigh too). [ This isn’t, as it turns out, an answer satisfying what was really asked. This is an increased spending habit that started years ago. I haven’t made much of a change in spending due to the recent inflation; the calamari ring answer is the most recent termination, and it wasn’t due to cost (it’s possibly a supply-chain matter but not entirely new). The masks are most related to a desire not to waste money. This doesn’t mean I don’t use masks. ]

• Marleen June 10, 2022 / 3:10 pm

Here’s a better answer. We have two bathrooms that need remodeling; beyond remodeling, there are actual plumbing problems (still tolerable). We are in the actual process of addressing one of them. Yet, we ran into a matter of both availability and cost for some materials. Stalled.

6. Lolsy's Library June 9, 2022 / 5:57 am

Oh my god, my kitty passed in early Feb. I still get deals for cat food and stuff. I could totally unsubscribe to them, I just can’t do it, lol

7. Carol anne June 11, 2022 / 10:52 pm

Dog food is so expensive, lol. I am glad you get everything on roku that you got on cable TV! Very cool!

8. leigha66 June 24, 2022 / 12:27 am

I no longer buy solid color polo shirts for work, make-up (what you see is what you get), tight jeans, dress shoes (barely wear the ones I have) and greeting cards (I make my own). Your number one has got to make you so happy with the prices soaring.