100 Years Old

“My granny just celebrated her 100th birthday,” Donna said.

“Wow,” Ernie said. “She’s a real survivor.”

“Unfortunately, she took a tumble down the staircase yesterday and broke her hip, so now she’s in the hospital,” Donna said.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Ernie said.

“No need for an apology, Ernie,” Donna said. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“I know,” Ernie said. “I just feel bad for you Granny.”

“She’ll be fine, Ernie,” Donna said. “After she gets out of the hospital, we’re taking her to a nursing home. It won’t be all fun and games for her, but it’s in a lovely, bucolic location, and I’m sure she’ll be happy there.”

Ernie sighed, and with a philosophical tone in his voice, he said, “Sometimes I wonder if happiness when you reach 100 is just a mirage.

Written for these daily prompts: E.M’s Random Word Prompt (birthday), Word of the Day Challenge (survivor), The Daily Spur (staircase), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (apology), Ragtag Daily Prompt (game), Your Daily Word Prompt (bucolic), My Vivid Blog (mirage).

7 thoughts on “100 Years Old

1. Carol anne June 5, 2022 / 3:30 pm

I lovely story fandango, I agree, about happiness at age 100 💛🤗💛

Sent with love from Shirley‘s iPhone

2. ganga1996 June 5, 2022 / 6:54 pm

Very thoughtful story. Always imagined living 100 would be happy thing!

3. Marilyn Armstrong June 5, 2022 / 9:20 pm

Terry Pratchett said in the words of a very old witch: “Getting very old is overrated. Everyone gets the same amount of young, but when you live to a great age, you get a big extra dollop of old.”

4. Nope, Not Pam June 6, 2022 / 2:54 am

Sounds that way 🙄

5. donmatthewspoetry June 6, 2022 / 5:35 am

My mother lived to 100. I’m hoping it’s in the genes.

On another point getting an old parent into a nursing home tends not to be easy…..

6. Marleen June 6, 2022 / 7:48 am

NOT trying to get an old parent into a nursing home is also not easy, because she (my mother) is paranoid. Why is she paranoid? She was a manipulative person, all the way to threatening her sister with institutionalization (which she followed through on once, when they were younger, and installed a sense of fear into her sister). She can’t fathom why anyone is not like her other than being stupid or lazy. Meanwhile, she does the stupidest things. And she’s extremely judgmental about (others) drinking alcohol, despite (or because) of her confident conviction in doing things any old time that heavily inebriated people would do.

7. leigha66 June 8, 2022 / 5:44 pm

My grandmother made it to 100 but she did not have the energy of this woman… she was barely aware of what was going on unfortunately.