Stump Speech

Yes!” Mack exclaimed, pumping both of his fists. “My extemporaneous speech went even better than I expected. I’m sure to get re-elected.”

“Your ex what speech?” a campaign aide asked.

“Extemporaneous,” Mack said. “You know, unrehearsed, spontaneous, off-the-cuff.”

“Oh right,” the aide said. “Yes, it was a sterling speech, sir. Very inspirational and energetic.”

“Hold on, Mack,” Ben, Mack’s campaign manager, said. “I don’t mean to burst your bubble, but your speech didn’t go over as well as you think it did. You made a couple of major gaffs that are likely to come back and bite you on your ass.”

“Sheesh, Ben, when did you become so strident?” Mack asked. “You know I can say anything, no matter how ludicrous, and make all kinds of gaffs and they’ll still love me. The voters are stupid. They don’t even listen to what I say as much as how I say it. So stop all of your fretting, Ben. When it comes to my re-election, just get ready to ink the deal.”

Written for these daily prompts: My Vivid Blog (yes), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (extemporaneous), The Daily Spur (elect), Word of the Day Challenge (sterling), E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (strident), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (ink). Photo credit: masterfile.com.

14 thoughts on “Stump Speech

1. Marleen June 3, 2022 / 3:48 am

I don’t remember which heading it was under wherein I already said Biden has always been a Republican, so… I’ll put this here. (I already know that the “Alzheimer’s” drug mentioned is questionable in its efficacy, so bad excuse; it gets worse.)

Biden Funnels MORE Money TO HIS DONORS
    by Hiking Medicare PRICES to Record Level

• Marleen June 3, 2022 / 6:57 am

I’m slightly curious whether this is supposed to be the “three-dimensional-chess” we heard about that Trump wasn’t good at (except in the eyes of his beholders). Is Medicare-for-all next? Or a public option? A return to the child tax credit? Anything?

• Marleen June 9, 2022 / 1:15 am

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) earlier this year rebranded an aspect of the Medicare program that used to be called Direct Contracting. The newly named ACO REACH stands for “Accountable Care Organization (ACO) Realizing Equity, Access, and Community Health.” According to CMS, its purpose is to, “encourage health care providers to coordinate care to improve the care offered to people with Medicare – especially those from underserved communities, a priority of the Biden-Harris Administration.”

But, advocates of protecting publicly funded healthcare for seniors and who want to see Medicare be expanded to all, warn that this new model of payment is a backdoor to privatization and have launched a campaign to overturn it.

• Marleen June 4, 2022 / 12:56 pm

… Biden Loves Republicans Far Too Much …

• Marleen June 5, 2022 / 6:30 am

So, these are segments with upset progressives (warning on turnt-up reaction); particularly in the “dumb decision” one and this one (below), Ana has had it… as the saying goes. [I could share specific speeches with Biden gaffs (in the sense of saying something that is verifiably not so rather than weak or demonstrative that he seems to want Republicans to win); might still (at least one), but that’s more boring.]

Ana Has .. Receipts on How
      Corporate Greed is Causing
      California’s Historic Drought

• Marleen June 5, 2022 / 7:09 am

This is from a year ago, but it’s an article among a plethora of them that I’ve been reading lately (including new ones) which are all over the place on jobs theory (I’ll call it) or rhetoric that doesn’t add up from all the leaders left, right, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian. Workers have been a focus (more than usual following the covid scare and demand for essential workers and return to sort of normal). The smokescreen talk runs from too many people working (to the detriment of companies like Walmart supposedly having too many employees) after stimulus checks were used up to not enough people looking for jobs because they’re lazy (or because a couple thousand dollars in stimulus was going too far) and anything in-between. [Of course, Biden or Democrats aren’t the only ones messing up or yanking us around, and they tend to not sound as harsh. But I would hope the President could make more of an effort to enact some of his promises. I can be forgiving or flexible. For instance, during the campaign for office, Biden promised more money in the stimulus checks. It’s not great to lie or fudge what you said, but I was satisfied to hear there had been a credit plan for children added instead (although it then expired or was taken out and not reinstated). I don’t need either of those things for me, but my view on politics isn’t only about myself.]

………

Only former Chair Janet Yellen, who is now Biden’s treasury secretary, has really been promoting it.

So what the heck was Biden talking about? A White House official told CNN that Biden had misspoken and meant to reference a May 4 Washington Post op-ed written by five former commissioners of the IRS.

But this, too, falls somewhat short of accuracy. “The former IRS commissioners did not say anything about how Biden’s plan would affect economic growth,” notes CNN.

Rather, they said Biden’s proposals — including a well-funded effort to crack down on the non-payment of taxes owed — would make the tax administration system “far fairer and more effective” and “produce a great deal of revenue by reducing the enormous gap between taxes legally owed and taxes actually paid.”

Even if this was an accidental mix-up by Biden, it was a substantial mix-up. A positive economic forecast from former tax chiefs is almost certainly less likely to sound impressive to the public than a positive economic forecast from people who ran the US central bank and are among the nation’s best-known economic figures.

And, again, there was no economic forecast at all in the tax chiefs’ article. In the past week, Biden has also made a false claim (again) about how many jobs his plan would create:

On May 2, we pointed out that, after early-April fact checks from CNN and others, Biden’s team had stopped wrongly claiming or suggesting that economic firm Moody’s Analytics found that the American Jobs Plan proposal would create 19 million jobs.

Well, Biden made a version of the claim last week. In a slightly different form than the original, but that new form was misleading too — and Biden added an additional inaccuracy this time.

……………….

2. Carol anne June 7, 2022 / 5:03 pm

A really great take on all the prompts here Fandango! You really did a fine job!