Fandango’s Provocative Question #167

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

Are people gullible or just stupid? No, that is not my provocative question, but it seems that a lot of Americans — and not just Americans — believe in some very weird things. Of course, one of the things that almost all Americans believe in that I, an atheist, think is weird is the existence of some sort of supernatural, all knowing, all powerful being (i.e., God). But let’s not get hung up on that.

No, I’m talking about other things people believe in for which there is no evidence. Things like:

• The planet we live on is flat
  • The planet is only six thousand years old, give or take a few thousand years
  • White humans are superior to non-white humans
  • The 2020 U.S. presidential election was stolen from Donald Trump
  • Chocolate milk comes from brown cows
  • Ghosts
  • Angels
  • An afterlife
  • Humans and dinosaurs coexisted on Earth at the same time
  • Poor people are poor because they are lazy
  • Climate change is not a real problem
  • The Holocaust was a fabrication
  • The moon landing was produced on a movie sound stage
  • Evolution is “just a theory”
  • A whole host of conspiracy theories

I’m sure, if you thought about this, you could probably come up with your own list of things people believe in for which there is no evidence.

So, my provocative question this week is…

Why do you think so many people are so confident in beliefs that can’t be proven?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

19 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #167

1. donmatthewspoetry June 1, 2022 / 3:21 am

A good question

No-one likes to not understand things which can’t be proved. Fabricating a reason makes them more comfortable ?

2. Mister Bump UK June 1, 2022 / 4:06 am

Bear in mind re concentration camps, had more of them been preserved, more people might believe they actually existed.
    It’s a useful parallel for people who want to get rid of statues. In a hundred years, slavery will nevber have existed.

3. Paula Light June 1, 2022 / 7:45 am

Some of the supernatural ones come down to fear of the unknown and trying to make sense or order of this chaotic world. It’s so hard to accept that a child you love might randomly die, so you say that angels took her up to heaven because God needed her. Of course that makes no logical sense, but it helps people cope, I guess. I can’t even imagine…

As far as the Holocaust deniers, that’s just the usual antisemitism rearing its ugly head as it does. Also, racists want to pretend slavery wasn’t so bad…

Some of the rest (flat earthers, moon landing deniers, vaccine haters, etc.) is about “rebels” thinking the govt is always out to get them and they won’t stand for it. Better to be thought of as an idiot than to agree with anything the govt says!

4. Marleen June 2, 2022 / 9:57 am

Thinking about the recent scamming question – which involves believing things one shouldn’t – thinking further, after having answered under the questions from Melanie a couple or so days ago, solar home energy is a scam I didn’t fall for to the full extent of losing out. This local (not my city) news video is only one example – and of one among many companies; more can be found. I figured out scamming was involved after I responded to an advertisement on YouTube for installing solar panels in my state. I had not seen any story like this at the time, so that’s not how I knew to drop the idea. I don’t remember how I figured it out or what seemed to be off, but there are fewer safeguards in our country than we would wish to exist. I’m glad to be a relatively suspicious type.

Powerhome Solar customers say they were left in the dark with hidden high costs · 1 month ago

• Marleen June 2, 2022 / 10:27 am

I’m including this because of Greta Thunburg being reprised from last year… the speaking host starts a lead-in at 11:05 on the video. I like that Greta points out “cheating” and bullshit.

She’s exposing the truth at Davos | Redacted with Natali and Clayton Morris · 9 days ago

• Marleen June 3, 2022 / 4:24 pm

I missed this earlier in the week, I had the news off due to not wanting to look at another shooting or two or three…

………..

“As of today, every student deceived, defrauded and driven into debt by Corinthian Colleges can rest assured that the Biden-Harris Administration has their back and will discharge their federal student loans,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said. “For far too long, Corinthian engaged in the wholesale financial exploitation of students, misleading them into taking on more and more debt to pay for promises they would never keep.”

Tens of thousands of former Corinthian students were already eligible for debt cancellation, but they had to file paperwork and navigate an application process that advocates say is confusing and not widely known about. Now, the relief will be made automatic and extended to additional borrowers.

Those who have a remaining balance on their Corinthian debt will also get refunds on payments they have already made, Education Department officials said. But the action does not apply to loans that have already been paid off in full.

• Marleen June 3, 2022 / 9:04 pm

I wonder what will happen for veterans who wasted their allowance of education benefits on the Corinthian leather version of college.

5. Jewish Young Professional "JYP" June 3, 2022 / 5:54 am

I love this question. I have a lot of thoughts on it, and I won’t have time to put them together coherently in the immediate future, but I’m bookmarking this for a future, not timely response post.

Comments are closed.