Grin and Bear It

As I was scanning the articles on my newsfeed today, I couldn’t rid myself of my sense of doom after reading the headlines of almost all of them. I moaned audibly and my wife asked me what was wrong.

“I read all this shitty news on the internet and it makes me almost cower in fear not only for my country, which was once an exemplar of freedom, democracy, and decency, but for the future of humanity itself,” I said.

“Oh you always make everything seem like a tempest in a teapot,” she said.

“That’s because, unlike you, who tries to escape reality,” I said, “I read the news and I get involved in what’s going on in the world.”

“You’re such an old fart,” she said. “What you need to do is learn to grin and bear it. Besides, you’ll be dead in a few years and then you won’t have to fret about the state of the world anymore. So you might as well lighten up.”

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (scan), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (internet), The Daily Spur (cower), Your Daily Word Prompt (exemplar), Ragtag Daily Prompt (tempest), Weekly Prompts Weekend Challenge (escape), and My Vivid Blog (involved).

15 thoughts on “Grin and Bear It

1. Paula Light May 22, 2022 / 7:29 am

Sometimes I’m glad my dad passed on before he had to witness the 2016 debacle. He would have been so upset! I’m pretty pessimistic about the way things are going now in a lot of ways. Last night my friends disagreed with my idea that all the babies born poor after RvW is destroyed will vote Dem in 20 years. They say poor people don’t vote Dem anymore. That’s even more depressing…

• Fandango May 22, 2022 / 5:08 pm

Saying that poor people don’t vote democratic is a gross generalization and probably inaccurate. Why would republicans make such an effort to make it so difficult for poor people and minorities to vote and to use gerrymandering of voting districts if that were true?

2. newepicauthor May 22, 2022 / 9:52 am

This post makes me think about the blogger J-Dubs aka silly Jilly.

3. slmret May 22, 2022 / 10:29 am

This post really hits home for me — when I read too much news, I am glad that my remaining life expectancy is not very long (< 20 years). Your conclusion — grin and bear it — may be the correct one!

• Fandango May 22, 2022 / 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, I can’t help fretting about my kids and grandkids and the kind of world they’ll be living in.

4. Nope, Not Pam May 22, 2022 / 1:07 pm

Pragmatic advice 😊

5. SueW May 22, 2022 / 2:12 pm

For a moment there I thought it was you experiencing a moment of doom and then I read the word HE! Nice one!
    Thank you for joining in again with our challenge.

• Fandango May 22, 2022 / 5:26 pm

Actually, that was my mistake. It should have been “I said.” And, sadly, while this post was an exaggeration, it was only a SLIGHT exaggeration.

6. Lolsy's Library May 23, 2022 / 2:44 am

My great-grandfather wouldn’t have grinned and beared it. He was what the kids called “woke” and we often joke that if he were alive today, he’d have a heart attack again at the state of the world, lol

7. donmatthewspoetry May 23, 2022 / 5:54 am

While I won’t be around to worry about it I do worry about the future generation……

8. Marleen May 23, 2022 / 7:44 am