SoCS — Let Me Make One Thing Clear

I love using the daily word prompts that a number of bloggers post daily and weaving together a piece of flash fiction. In addition to my own FOWC with Fandango prompt, I frequently craft posts that incorporate prompt words from the Word of the Day Challenge, Your Daily Word Prompt, the Ragtag Daily Prompt, E.M.’s Random Word Prompt, The Daily Spur, and My Vivid Blog’s Daily Prompt.

But sometimes the bloggers behind these word prompts seem to want to fuck with us. For example, just yesterday, the Your Daily Word Prompt word was “gasconade.” Seriously? Have you ever heard of that word, much less used it in a normal conversation?

Or how about yesterday’s Word of the Day Challenge prompt word, “pareidolia”? Just rolls off your tongue, doesn’t it?

And not to be outdone, The Ragtag Daily Prompt word yesterday was “frowzy.” Come on. Frowzy?

Even I am guilty. My own daily prompt word yesterday was “per se,” which had a number of bloggers a bit flummoxed. And the day before yesterday my FOWC with Fandango word was “bodacious,” which is not that unusual of a word, but some of you, based upon a few comments, were not big fans of bodacious.

So, I want to make one thing clear. I will not jump through hoops or twist myself into a pretzel trying to write posts that incorporate such unusual, archaic words like gasconade, pareidolia, or frowzy. It hurts my head too much.

I don’t mean to offend those who chose these words, but the idea of prompt words is to inspire, not to frustrate.

So, I leave my fellow daily word prompters with this piece of advice…

Written for Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, where the word is “clear.”

33 thoughts on “SoCS — Let Me Make One Thing Clear

1. Sadje May 21, 2022 / 3:17 am

Thankfully, I’ve stopped doing these daily prompts.

2. Mister Bump UK May 21, 2022 / 3:31 am

I’d guess that bodacious is American-only. I think I only know it from stuff like Bill and Ted, and there are a generation of people older than me who won’t know that movie.

3. Nope, Not Pam May 21, 2022 / 3:48 am

Well done Fandango, you found a way 😊

4. willowdot21 May 21, 2022 / 4:19 am

I love that you have made that perfectly clear! I agree wholeheartedly 💜

5. Paula Light May 21, 2022 / 5:18 am

First, I’m pointing out a typo as you asked: “prompts words”

Second, I totally agree. I am not going to write awkward sentences to squash in these unusual words. Like Sadje, I’ve stopped doing most of them. Or I’ll just use one…

Third, per se is not weird!

• Fandango May 21, 2022 / 8:39 am

I don’t think per se is weird either, but based upon how people used it in their posts, many didn’t quite get it right.

6. Rob's Surf Report May 21, 2022 / 5:38 am

For what it’s worth: I could easily use “per se” or “bodacious”. I hate having to look up a word I’ve never used and which has no discernable root for context — words like “gasconade” and “pareidolia” — not to mention it seems like a step too far trying to make it feel natural. I completely understand your frustration with that, and honestly that would push me away from posting for the day, as if I sit too long trying to make something fit I tend to walk away instead.

• Fandango May 21, 2022 / 8:41 am

True. How can you craft something that flows naturally with words that are rarely (if ever) used by “normal” people?

7. sgeoil May 21, 2022 / 6:53 am

As Bushboy says…perhaps…but then again, the word is for inspiration. Does one have to use the exact word or the inspiration that comes from the meaning of the word??? I for one love learning new words.

• Fandango May 21, 2022 / 8:44 am

I think it’s finding inspiration coming from the root word or it’s meaning. I like learning new words, too, but not useless words that I would never have an occasion or need to use in real life.

• animar64 May 23, 2022 / 2:31 pm

I use most prompts for inspirations as opposed to trying to hammer in the word itself because in the end I won’t force a word into a story if it’s just there cluncking the piece up.

8. newepicauthor May 21, 2022 / 9:14 am

How about using the word Petrichor as a prompt, which is the way air smells after it rains?

• Fandango May 21, 2022 / 11:56 am

I’ve never smelled napalm, although living where I live, I have often smelled wildfires.

• Marleen May 23, 2022 / 3:39 pm

Or parchor (I think that’s the spelling)?

9. eschudel May 21, 2022 / 9:23 am

I’m all for returning to the avoidance of the Daily Prompt thing which saved my life back in the old WordPress actually used to do Daily Prompt days…

10. Marleen May 21, 2022 / 1:43 pm

Oh, come on. Bodacious is a cool word. Now I wish I’d responded to it there. I can be slightly flaky, so I didn’t. (Besides, I felt too busy.)

Bill and Ted on the word Bodacious

• Marleen May 21, 2022 / 1:44 pm

Bodacious Receives 2019 BRAND OF HONOR

11. Carol anne May 21, 2022 / 1:58 pm

I hate when the words are so out there that you can’t use them in an every day sentence or you have to look them up to see what they mean!

12. Marleen May 21, 2022 / 2:16 pm

I’m going to look up “frowzy” to see if it means what I think of intuitively. As for “gasconade” — I have heard this one and don’t feel like it’s weird.

It is a river name, but I’m not going to include an example of that. I will include and example to promote Missouri wine (for a name of a county). But what I first think of is per the first example below [but not the specific of Rome]. There is, additionally, a helpful sound recording of how to pronounce the word — at the link.

But the phrase “Campanian arrogance” seems to have been used proverbially for “gasconade”; and, as there was a plebeian gens Naevia in Rome, it is quite as probable that he was by birth a Roman citizen.

Grapes are mainly grown in the Ozark region, and wine is produced in Gasconade and other central and north-central counties in amounts sufficient to place Missouri, California aside, in the front rank of wine states in the Union.

• Marleen May 21, 2022 / 2:18 pm

Frowzy didn’t mean what I guessed. I like it, though.

13. Marleen May 21, 2022 / 9:12 pm

I gave a recommendation for a word of her day: inadvertently. I heard a famous leader on the news tonight who used it like it was a synonym for indescriminate. Even “indiscriminate” didn’t apply, correctly, to gbr topic. But inadvertently was further, yet, from the truth (inadvertently as he wasn’t trying to mislead).

• Marleen May 21, 2022 / 9:14 pm

have

14. amyspeaks May 22, 2022 / 1:31 am

😁 Thanks for the mention, and I hope mine haven’t been too bad lately. On the plus side, you weave them into your stories quite well.