Truthful Tuesday — Ice Breaker

Melanie, of Sparks from a Combustible Mind, is still filling in for Frank, aka PCGuy, who is taking a temporary hiatus from his Truthful Tuesday prompt. This week Melanie wants to know…

What is your honest opinion about people who chew ice?

My honest opinion about people who chew ice is colored by the fact that I am one of those people who chews ice. I’ve been doing it all my life and I’m going to be chewing ice for however long I am still around.

I like to drink all of my cold beverages “on the rocks.” Be it soda, iced tea, or a mixed drink, it must be served with ice. And when I’ve finished most of the liquid, I will tip the glass so that I can get an ice cube in my mouth and crunch down on it.

Just to be clear, the only cold beverages I don’t drink over ice are beer and milkshakes. But when it comes to all other cold beverages, they must be served in a glass with plenty of ice.

Did you know that there’s actually a medical name for the activity of chewing ice? It’s called ice pica or pagophagia. Pica is a “disorder” that causes people to crave and eat items that are not food or have no nutritional value. Such as ice.

But in my case, it’s not a craving or a compulsion to chew ice. It’s just something I frequently do with the ice in my cold drinks.

Melanie noted that some people find it disgusting when they see (or hear) others chewing on ice. I haven’t noticed anyone giving me dirty looks when I crunch down on a cube of ice in my mouth, but my wife often says I’m oblivious, so maybe some people do get annoyed by my ice chewing.

But from my perspective, what happens in the privacy of my own mouth is nobody’s business but mine. So I will continue to chew my ice without guilt or remorse.

16 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Ice Breaker

1. peNdantry May 17, 2022 / 9:14 am

Interesting. But: you didn’t answer the question! 😛

• Fandango May 17, 2022 / 10:20 am

I thought, when admitting that I’m an ice chewer, my answer to the question was implied. No?

• peNdantry May 18, 2022 / 2:26 am

Well, yes, kinda sorta, but then again, on the other hand: no. not really, because although you’ve made it very clear that you consider your own behaviour perfectly acceptable, the fact that you didn’t actually directly answer the question suggests to my mind that, maybe, on the quiet, you resent all the other pagophagiacs… 🙂

• Fandango May 18, 2022 / 7:00 am

I see your point. So let me slightly adjust what I wrote, which I hope will satisfy your need for a definitive answer:

What happens in the privacy of my someone’s mouth is nobody’s business but their own.

2. Paula Light May 17, 2022 / 10:06 am

As long as you swallow the chips and don’t spit… 😂

3. Nope, Not Pam May 17, 2022 / 12:55 pm

Not sure why it matters, it seems harmless 🤨

4. Melanie B Cee May 17, 2022 / 3:28 pm

It’s nice to find that a substantial amount of people are ice chewers and those others with the negative opinions are sadly living life without the crunchy goodness of ice. More for us! I too enjoy my beverages on the rocks. Ice water is delicious, whereas drinking water is boring (to me). Maybe I just really like ice though. 🙂

5. leigha66 May 17, 2022 / 4:37 pm

Used to do so a lot, but rarely have anything with ice at home… I hate watered down drinks. I see nothing wrong with it.

6. Marleen May 17, 2022 / 6:14 pm

I don’t absolutely require that there be ice in my cold drinks, not even when they are (refrigerated) coca-cola* or high-quality water (whether treated in a superior manner by a locality or filtered with a Zero Water filter). But I do often chew ice, especially if I’m out and have a gin and tonic (for instance). I’m less likely to chew it if the ice is an actual rectangular “cube” — particularly or especially of the traditional size from a home freezer or are the newfangled huge cubes or spheres. I like ice smaller. However, I do order margaritas on-the-rocks rather than with teeny-tiny ice or a snowy consistency. A crunchy snow cone can be fun. I think people who chew ice are expending a little bit of excess energy. * if soda is not refrigerated, then I wouldn’t want to pour it over ice and would skip the whole thing or wait for cooling; just adding ice would unappetizingly dilute the drink. I have no idea why chewing ice would be considered “disgusting” (given that there is no qualifying description as to the person putting the ice from the mouth back into the cup in public). I suppose, though, that some sensitive people could interpret the crunching to being sort of like chalk on a chalkboard? I don’t think it’s very similar. Yet, and this isn’t necessarily connected to chewing ice, one thing I really hate is when (once in a blue moon) I scrape a couple teeth against each other.

7. Sadje May 17, 2022 / 6:33 pm

I’ve never chew ice! Perhaps because my teeth have always been sensitive to cold.

• Fandango May 17, 2022 / 10:08 pm

Yes, there is no nourishment in chewing blogs.

Comments are closed.