Fandango’s Provocative Question #164

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

As almost everyone knows by now, mega billionaire Elon Musk is buying Twitter for $44 billion. If his deal to acquire Twitter goes through, Musk said he would “reverse the permanent ban” of former President Donald Trump on Twitter and let him back on the social network. Musk said, “I do think that it was not correct to ban Donald Trump. I think that was a mistake because it alienated a large part of the country, and did not ultimately result in Donald Trump not having a voice.” He added that it was “morally wrong and flat-out stupid” and that “permanent bans just fundamentally undermine trust in Twitter.”

My provocative question this week is…

How do you feel about Elon Musk’s intention to reinstate Donald Trump’s Twitter account and his rational for doing so?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

31 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #164

1. Nope, Not Pam May 11, 2022 / 3:53 am

I think it’s unsurprising. If he feels it’s impacted on his traffic, it has therefore in his opinion impacted on his profit.

2. Paula Light May 11, 2022 / 4:21 am

I don’t care. It won’t affect my Twitter experience because I’ve already blocked all the Tr🤮mps from my feed. As far as stopping him from spouting crazy lies, nah… he still spouts them, and the press delights in quoting him, so Twitter is irrelevant. The crazy magas haven’t become less crazy since his ban, so what was the point?

3. Sadje May 11, 2022 / 4:35 am

I think you can only except dumb decisions from people who are willing to spend $44 billions on buying Twitter! Instead of doing something constructive or helpful, he is just giving his ego another boost.

4. XingfuMama May 11, 2022 / 6:14 am

It’s all about the Benjamins: Elon Musk is making headlines to help him get financing to buy Twitter. This provacative announcement is part of that. He is trying to attract more people to the platform so banks, and others he is touching up for money, think that he is going to make them a good profit. He probably will reinstate the Dumster-fire in hopes of getting more users onto the platform. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both of these ego-maniacs in ads for the platform as soon as the deal goes through. If it backfires I would be pretty happy, but I don’t expect that it will. I recently wrote a post about Twitter and Musk: https://xingfumama.blog/2022/05/09/this-is-not-a-tweet/.

5. Taswegian1957 May 11, 2022 / 7:40 am

I am not on Twitter but I know I got sick of hearing his ridiculous tweets on the news every day. I most certainly don’t want him back on Twitter.

6. pensitivity101 May 11, 2022 / 8:19 am

I’m not on twitter, nor do I want to be, but looking at the photos side by side, their facial expressions could be twinned. A fool and his money and all that……… it’s obscene when that much could be put to better use.

• Marleen May 11, 2022 / 5:37 pm

That’s an interesting observation. Musk’s model [professional in the industry for selling stuff] mother might’ve told him, though, not to skrunch his eyes so he wouldn’t get those wrinkles. But the two men really do look so much alike in expression.

7. rugby843 May 11, 2022 / 9:31 am

I didn’t read this before I read the news. Up late today, but see we’re on the same wavelength 😀❤️

Sent from my iPhone

8. Melanie B Cee May 11, 2022 / 10:40 am

This will be the shortest ‘Sparks” comment ever seen.

I don’t have one single f*ck to give. Both men are idiots IMO. What they do could not be more irrelevant to anything important. End trans.

9. Marleen May 11, 2022 / 3:29 pm

I think the idea of kit “permanently” banning Trump is a trick with words. Musk said a tweet could be removed or invisible. In other words, it’s not aorinvople of open speech a hundred. As for making tweets invisible, I have t used Twitter significantly, but my experience with forum moderation removing objectionable material is that this only distorts the conversation. I think it was smart for a private citizen who owned the platform to take the Donald out of gbr conversation entirely, when said Donald was riling up insurrection.

• Marleen May 11, 2022 / 5:29 pm

… [Elon’s] idea of not permanently [quote-unquote] banning [someone] ….

… other words, it’s not a principle of open …

… have not used Twitter significantly …

Bottom line: I think it was smart for [private leadership that wasn’t Elon musk] who owned the platform (and still owns it) to take the Donald out of [the] conversation entirely [permanently banned with no playing around with wording], when said Donald was riling up insurrection.

• Marleen May 11, 2022 / 5:44 pm

I do realize that there is a tendency, now, to only call something that isn’t on the stock market private. It used to be, and I think still is in the parlance of privatization and public-private partnering, that anything not owned or run by the government was considered private.

• Marleen May 12, 2022 / 1:13 pm

This person was banned recently, without a rational reason given, for life by current leadership (not by Musk). Important to note not only right-wing fascists get hit, although right-wing boo-hoos feel like targeted victims.

Twitter CANCELS TYT’s Rayyvana For Using Her Free Speech Rights · 5 days ago

10. Marilyn Armstrong May 11, 2022 / 3:45 pm

I think Musk is an asshole and he’s going to actually make social media even worse, but I won’t care because I don’t have to use it.

11. leigha66 May 13, 2022 / 4:16 pm

Extremely rare I go to Twitter… I am sure it is all a plan to just get richer.

12. Marleen May 13, 2022 / 5:38 pm

He’s playing new games, now, about sorting out something. Who knows how it’ll turn out.

Comments are closed.