It Ain’t Over Yet

I got this article on my iPhone’s newsfeed this morning:

The article pointed out that there’s been an upturn in new coronavirus cases and hospitalizations in the Bay Area as new COVID-19 infections in the region have risen 167% in the same month that saw the state dropping most mitigation measures, including vaccine verification and mask requirements for schools and public transit.

Do you think we might have jumped the gun by easing mask mandates and vaccination certifications? I do, but I’m apparently one of those stubborn “woke” individuals who still wears my mask in public places and who avoids coming in close contact with anyone who isn’t masked.

I got my second COVID booster shot yesterday, and other than a bit of a sore arm, I’ve suffered no adverse effects. I don’t expect this booster to completely protect me from being infected by COVID, but I do expect being fully vaccinated will significantly reduce the potential for me to become severely ill or having to be hospitalized.

Normally I would say that, if you are not vaccinated and/or refuse to wear a mask, “hey, whatever floats your boat.” But if your boat is responsible for causing other people’s boats to capsize, I think you need to think again.

So if you still aren’t vaccinated or you refuse to wear a face mask in public places, I believe you are guilty of perpetuating this highly contagious disease.

33 thoughts on “It Ain’t Over Yet

1. pensitivity101 May 4, 2022 / 9:35 am

I’m with you Fandango. Our town is awash with holidaymakers and not a mask between them. We get funny looks wearing them into shops, yet many have signs up asking you to.

2. Sadje May 4, 2022 / 10:02 am

I got Covid after 2 vaccinations and two boosters. But it was a mild case and I was okay after 5 days. I still wear a mask.

3. writerravenclaw May 4, 2022 / 10:22 am

I’ve not had COVID (yet) but with restrictions easing in schools in the UK as well, I’m not sure how long that will last. We have to pay for lateral flow tests now, luckily I still have some boxes spare if I do go and see family, or friends I wouldn’t normally see.

4. Marilyn Armstrong May 4, 2022 / 11:10 am

We both got our second covid boosters. Garry had almost no reaction, I collapsed — for one awful day. But just one day.

I don’t wear a mask most of the time, but this is a small town and it is almost never crowded anywhere. If we lived closer to Boston, we might change our minds. I did buy a box of N95 masks because we have to fly for that, I think I’d wear a hazmat suit if I could.

5. Gr8BigFun May 4, 2022 / 12:57 pm

Unfortunately those who need to heed this type of advice find ways to rationalize their irresponsible actions. The Spanish flu continued to ebb and flow through multiple waves for over 5 years after the initial wave.

6. Nope, Not Pam May 4, 2022 / 1:01 pm

Come on Fandango, you’ve just got to ride the wave … and be buried when it passes by

• Nope, Not Pam May 5, 2022 / 4:11 am

They’re dropping like flies at my work, I’m just waiting my turn 🙄

7. Marleen May 4, 2022 / 7:14 pm

Start at eight minutes in. This is a presentation, given by somone who happily was vaccinated with the Moderna version and has no regrets, to help some people know there is a different kind of vaccine they might be more interested in if they haven’t been vaccinated yet.

You Will Love This Vaccine (Novavax Vaccine)

8. Maria Michaela May 5, 2022 / 4:24 am

We still wear masks here but there really are some people who don’t anymore and my anxiety skyrockets when I see these people. Always good to be vaccinated and still wear a mask.

9. Marleen May 5, 2022 / 8:44 am

I have to wonder, when somone says this kind of thing on a separate area of interest (let’s say abortion), why the sentiment “doesn’t” (logically) apply to the topic at hand. I don’t agree with it, by the way:

As if the planet needs more humans! We are already over-populated and in some places there are already food and water scarcities, sure to spread even to the U.S. in the coming years. Oh yeah, let’s add more humans so that they can put more CO2 into the atmosphere and hasten the demise of nearly every species on the planet. Sigh.

It seems to me that whether we’re talking about women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, civil rights, education, books, healthcare or any myriad of topics, the Republican Party is the party of “NO”. If it helps people, helps secure a future, then their answer is “NO”. [But boo to new humans. Deal my my CO2 but not somebody else’s. And suffocate kids.]

10. JT Twissel May 5, 2022 / 11:00 am

I know fully vaccinated people who are getting covid – they haven’t been hospitalized but they’ve been sick!

• Fandango May 5, 2022 / 5:29 pm

True, but compared to what happened over 2020-21, less sick.

• Marleen May 21, 2022 / 4:35 pm

My personal health situation after my second shot [not the first shot] is worse than after — or even for the most part but with a couple exceptions during — my recovery from Covid-19 itself (which I fully overcame with no medication or vaccine in March of 2020. Two things that were odd during the infection (not even lasting more than a week) were the loss of smell and the appearance of a bruise (which can’t have been a bruise in the usual sense) on one eye.

11. Marleen May 5, 2022 / 11:21 am

There’s a lot interesting in this article. I’ve chosen this little piece as an appetizer, perhaps out of gallows humor. We haven’t made mistakes? I guess the quoted person meant waiting for an individual to make a mistake to which he or she succumbs. I’m sure mistakes are involved, but there is also the fact that the new variants get more and more easily spread — while they’re not as deadly in and of themselves and at-risk people have been vaccinated if they want to be (although vaccination doesn’t seem to apply much to the new strains).

“COVID-19 is not done with us,” Mokdad said. “It’s just waiting for us to make a mistake.”

12. Marleen May 5, 2022 / 11:56 am

Danish professor: mRNA vaccine study sends ‘danger signals’ · 2 days ago

• alphaandomega21 May 16, 2022 / 3:23 am

Many thanks for that. I managed to work out in 2020 that the vaccines were pointless and that we had been duped by the big pharma advertising. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

13. leigha66 May 6, 2022 / 6:30 pm

I have a friend convinced Covid will be with us for years and with an annual shot like the flu. I know almost every time I go out in my mask I am definitely in the minority. Earlier this week I only saw 3 other people in the store with them on… crazy!

• Fandango May 6, 2022 / 11:22 pm

I went to the grocery store today and almost no one was masked up. I had my mask on, though.

• alphaandomega21 May 16, 2022 / 3:25 am

True. Covid 19 will always be with as it is the’flu turned into a monster by advertising on big pharmas behalf.

14. Marleen May 8, 2022 / 12:59 pm

Here We Go Again! · 2 hours ago

• Marleen May 16, 2022 / 3:06 pm

This pandemic treaty is the greatest power grab any of us has seen in our lifetime… · 2 days ago

• Marleen May 21, 2022 / 4:24 pm

At the World Health Assembly, next week [starting tomorrow and leaving out Taiwan], the WHO will meet to discuss a “pandemic accord” that would … expand its powers.

The European Union… pushed for a legally-binding pandemic “treaty” instead…. despite the WHO’s own figures showing little correlation…

If something can’t be underwritten rationally, then what is the purpose …… of a plan that “skates around WHO’s errors during the Covid pandemic [including ignoring Taiwan’s early warmings?]”

15. Marleen May 10, 2022 / 7:05 pm

Two Senate Democratic leaders say they are willing to give Republicans a vote on reversing President Joe Biden’s move to end pandemic-era border restrictions, provided that the GOP then agrees to move [which does not mean pass] a stalled $10 billion coronavirus aid deal.

It’s a notable shift in Democratic strategy, weeks after the Covid aid package was sidetracked amid Republican demands for an amendment vote on Biden’s decision to lift the public health-related border restrictions.

Now that a $40 billion Ukraine aid package is moving without the Covid funding boost that they’d hoped to pair it with, Senate Democrats are warming to the idea of letting Republicans have a vote on immigration if that’s what it takes to prepare the United States for a fall coronavirus surge.

16. Carol anne May 12, 2022 / 6:44 am

I don’t care what other people do, I am still wearing my mask in public, when I travel, I’ll wear it all through the airports, on the plane, etc. I’m not taking any chances. Xx

17. Marleen May 13, 2022 / 4:09 am

Last week’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner is now being labelled a “superspreader event” after a growing number of attendees tested positive for covid. As usual, it’s OK when they do it!

18. Marleen May 16, 2022 / 7:50 am

Streamed yesterday: A new investigation reports that Anthony Fauci and the NIH received and hid $350 million of royalties [that they received] from pharma companies.

19. Marleen May 19, 2022 / 11:47 am

… Efficacy Requirement [ nearly obliterated ] …