Reblog: The End Of “Liberty and Justice for All”

I am reblogging Jill’s post. If I had written it I might have titled it “The End of Liberty and Justice for All As Long as You’re a Straight, White, Christian Male.” Because if you’re not straight, if you’re not white, if you’re not Christian, and if you’re not male, liberty and justice doesn’t seem to apply to you anymore.

I wrote an angry post last night when I first heard about this because I was mad as hell. But Jill’s post expresses much more eloquently the injustice and the potential ramifications of this initial draft decision…and not just on abortion rights, but on the rights and liberties of others.

Please read Jill’s excellent post and leave any comments you may have there.

Yesterday, the United States Supreme Court voted to take away a substantial portion of the rights of women when they voted in private to strike down …

The End Of “Liberty and Justice for All”

24 thoughts on “Reblog: The End Of “Liberty and Justice for All”

1. Marleen May 3, 2022 / 10:23 am

I, personally, would like for people to put more emphasis on PlanB (or condoms and forth) than on abortion. I know some people are against birth control, but it’s not legally the same thing.

• Marleen May 3, 2022 / 11:41 am

Perhaps a future conversation on why there is so much panic when there is PlanB available? (PlanB isn’t the same thing as “the abortion pill” than can be taken later). I’ve met people who have it already “in hand” just in case. It used to require a prescription, but it’s over the counter. When a prescription was necessary, there were high-profile doctors who blanketly said they would give anyone a prescription for that even sight unseen (because it was safe as well as important). I can anticipate some of what would come up. I would also like to say that, while not all births will kill or harm a teen (or younger), I see a pregnancy as a threat to the health of a girl under a certain age or marker of physical development; having a period isn’t proof the body is optimally ready.

• emkingston May 3, 2022 / 12:23 pm

Plan B and birth control will be the next things attacked after the reversal of Roe v. Wade. They will not stop at criminalizing abortion.

• Fandango May 3, 2022 / 3:43 pm

The same people who want to make abortion illegal want to make birth control illegal (because birth control is not mentioned in the Constitution)…and that would include Plan B.

• Marleen May 3, 2022 / 9:17 pm

It’s just stupid — but maybe not always stupid so much as dishonest — for them to say something should be illegal because it’s not in the constitution. That’s plainly not was intended by the framers.

• Marleen May 19, 2022 / 6:57 am

A reminder, that Missouri tracked … periods …

• Marleen May 19, 2022 / 8:22 pm

… Congresswoman Relives Personal Trauma …

• Marleen May 19, 2022 / 9:09 am

Boebert and Greene aren’t Pro Life

• Marleen May 19, 2022 / 8:06 pm

A Closer Look [Late Night]: George W. Bush’s Shocking Gaffe; [some
            ignorable awkward joke and] Republicans Vote Against Baby Formula Bill

• Marleen June 29, 2022 / 5:09 pm

Joe Burrow shared a post advocating for abortion rights on his Instagram Story on Monday, days after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and a six-week abortion ban became law in Ohio.

“I’m pro-Becky who found at her 20-week anatomy scan that the infant she had been so excited to bring into this world had developed without life-sustaining organs.”

[And he gives other examples. I’ll add another from my first year of college. A student had an abortion of one twin she was carrying, to save the other of the two from poisoning and death from health issues the one was going through. I still don’t know how it’s possible to remove one from the amniotic environment without disturbing the growth of the other, but it apparently is possible. I met the surviving and thriving child years later.]

2. writerravenclaw May 3, 2022 / 10:34 am

What year are we living in? I feels like we have regressed back into the 1950’s. Women have a right over their own body, and will have valid reasons why they need to have an abortion. It will only go back to the days where there were backstreet abortions. I get why you are so angry.

• Fandango May 3, 2022 / 1:42 pm

That is apparently what Republicans want. Maybe they have stock in wire hangers.

3. Paula Light May 3, 2022 / 10:39 am

This is only the beginning, as Jill notes. The rightwing has made no secret of their anti choice, anti gay rights, anti environmental, anti immigration, anti assistance to the poor agenda all along. But Hillary annoyed people, so they couldn’t vote for her… 😞

4. rugby843 May 3, 2022 / 11:40 am

I see it’s been reblogged but thanks. I read the comments, very interesting but I think we are preaching to the choir

Sent from my iPhone

5. Nope, Not Pam May 3, 2022 / 1:02 pm

I see no sex as being the ultimate answer. No reproduction, no children, no future. Hey it might help with climate control too

6. Richmond Road May 3, 2022 / 3:00 pm

Whether it be birth control via pills, condoms, risky techniques, abortions or no sex (but nope, definitely no Pam, I think we can take that one off the agenda) it should clearly be a matter of personal choice (not forgetting, perhaps, that there are two persons involved) and not a matter of legislation.
    But, as suggested above, we are already preaching to the converted.

7. Marleen May 4, 2022 / 11:17 pm

This is always fun (I actually mean that):

C-SPAN: U.S. Supreme Court Oral Argument: Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization · Streamed 5 months ago

• Marleen July 8, 2022 / 1:02 pm

How the Supreme Court [decided Dobbs
      with a cult female and male Republicans]

8. Carol anne May 15, 2022 / 1:48 am

You wrote a great post, as did Jill, two awesome writers!

9. Marleen June 25, 2022 / 10:58 pm

From google: What is stare decisis in simple terms?
    Stare decisis means “to stand by things decided” in Latin. When a court faces a legal argument, if a previous court [not always only the Supreme Court] has ruled on the same or a closely related issue, then the court will make their decision in alignment with the previous court’s decision.

Comments are closed.