Song Lyric Sunday — Love Hurts

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim Adams is going with Anxiety, Delight, Emotions, Pain, Pride, and Relief, as suggested by Di of pensitivity101. I decided to go with the song “Love Hurts.”

“Love Hurts” was written and composed by American songwriters Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. First recorded by the Everly Brothers. The song was introduced in December 1960 as an album track on A Date with The Everly Brothers, but was never released as a single. The first hit version of the song was by Roy Orbison in May 1961. It was the B-side to “Running Scared.” The most well known cover of the song was the 1974 international hit version by Scottish hard rock band Nazareth. Their rendition was the only one to become a hit single in the United States, reaching number 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1976. In 1975, English singer Jim Capaldi’s cover hit the top 5 in the UK. The song has been recorded by over 100 different artists across all genres.

I honestly don’t remember the Everly Brothers version, which has a bit of a country & western sound to it. But as a big Roy Orbison fan when I was in high school, that’s the version of the song I’m most familiar with. Nazareth’s take is more of a gravely rock version, while Capaldi’s was more pop. I’m posting the Everly Brothers’, Orbison’s, Nazareth’s, and Capaldi’s versions and you be the judge.

“Love Hurts” warns that being in a relationship isn’t only about “happiness, blissfullness, togetherness.” The song advises that love also scars, wounds and mars. And “love is like a stove, it burns you when its hot.” So anyone who wants to make love last had better be strong enough to confront the inevitable painful episodes that love can bring, as well as enjoy the good and better times. The song lyrics seem to be written from the perspective of someone who has tried and failed to find any lasting love that is trustworthy and true.

Here are the lyrics to “Love Hurts.”

Love hurts
Love scars
Love wounds and marks
Any heart not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud, it holds a lot of rain
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts

I'm young
I know
But even so
I know a thing or two, I learned from you
I really learned a lot, really learned a lot
Love is like a stove, it burns you when it's hot
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts

Some fools think
Of happiness, blissfulness, togetherness
Some fools fool themselves, I guess
They're not foolin' me
I know it isn't true I know it isn't true
Love is just a lie made to make you blue
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts
Ooh love hurts

I know it isn't true
I know it isn't true
Love is just a lie made to make you blue
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts
Ooh, love hurts, ooh

16 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Love Hurts

1. bushboy April 24, 2022 / 4:46 am

A toss up between the Everly Bros and Roy as my favourite 🙂

2. willowdot21 April 24, 2022 / 5:32 am

Absolutely timeless and beautiful, I adore every version which is the proof of the greatness of this song 💜💜

3. newepicauthor April 24, 2022 / 7:07 am

Love is not just roses and sunshine, it actually hurts because there are no guarantees on how it will turn out, and if you put a lot into a relationship, your heart may end up broken. If I have to choose one over the other, I will go with Roy Orbison, because I love his voice.

4. pensitivity101 April 24, 2022 / 10:16 am

I had all of these except the Everly Brothers. I always loved Roy Orbison’s voice, his range was phenomenal for a baritone.
    from WIKI
    His voice ranged from baritone to tenor, and music scholars have suggested that he had a three- or four-octave range

5. Marleen April 24, 2022 / 12:38 pm

I never really liked the song, but I’m appreciating that it is a good song. I like the Nazareth approach best. I also like the Everly Brothers version but think it would be better without the gallop sounds or whatever that little flourish is. I suppose it was a thing of the times. The last guy looks like love hurts; whatever, onward… which I think is partly a function of the rhythm or cadence which is also present in the everly brothers presentation but with more tender voices. I learned something, today, about Orbison’s octave range. That’s impressive, and something I like.

• Marleen April 28, 2022 / 1:09 pm

Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever [64th GRAMMY Awards Performance]

6. Gr8BigFun April 25, 2022 / 4:45 pm

Grew up on the Nazareth version of this song but man you almost forget how great Orbison was as an artist.

• Fandango April 25, 2022 / 6:37 pm

Roy was always one of my favorite singers. What a voice.