One-Liner Wednesday — Evil

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.”

Blaise Pascal, French mathematician, physicist, inventor, philosopher, and Catholic theologian

Blaise Pascal died in 1662, but some of us (like me) believe what he said four centuries ago is still true today.

Be kind — or at least courteous — in your comments, please.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt.

14 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Evil

1. Carol anne April 19, 2022 / 8:40 am

Good one Fandango! Don’t know if I believe it though? ❤

2. Ruth April 19, 2022 / 8:55 am

Absolutely agree! Even though your post freaked me out cos I thought I’d lost a day… had to check it was still Tuesday – phew! 🙂

• Paula Light April 19, 2022 / 8:57 am

Same. So confusing! But my phone says it’s Tuesday…

• Ruth April 19, 2022 / 9:18 am

Just keeping us on our toes… I had to check to be sure! 🙂

3. rugby843 April 19, 2022 / 9:45 am

Always has been and always will be

Sent from my iPhone

4. Marleen April 19, 2022 / 11:05 am

I wouldn’t use the “never” characterization for that. It might’ve been what he observed most, or only.

I disagree with something else he famously said, too; along the lines that you might as well “believe” [whatever word or similar word(s) he used and whatever one might mean by it] in God — in the sense of playing the odds or choosing the safest bet or selecting for the best possible reward. I don’t see that as faith or belief. (However, it could cause some people to behave better than they otherwise would.) But I haven’t read him in depth, so there may be a mitigating context.

5. Lauren April 19, 2022 / 2:36 pm

I take exception to the word “cheerfully”. I do believe that in the name of religion way too much evil is discounted.

Comments are closed.