A Good Cry

Let’s see. I think it was back in October in the early 80s when it first started, if I remember correctly. I was still very young at the time, maybe ten. It’s hard for me to describe the details of exactly what happened, since it was so long ago and it’s still painful to think about. But I remember when I told my mother about it, she soft-pedaled it. She said I must have imagined it, or that I was making it up.

It was years later, after I left home to go to college, graduated, and started working, that my mother, with whom I hadn’t spoken since leaving home, called me to tell me that my father had died. She begged me to come home for the funeral and said that, after all these years, she wanted to talk, face-to-face.

When I got to her place, with tears in her eyes, she finally admitted that something had actually happened. She found some things of my father’s in the attic, specifically some Polaroid pictures he had taken of me, that made her realize that I wasn’t making it all up.

She apologized profusely. The pathos she expressed for me was palpable. We talked about the discrimination toward children who accuse a parent of sexual abuse, because no one can imagine a father doing something like that to his own child. We talked about how that old adage about how children should be seen and not heard is so wrong.

We had a good cry together, my mother and I.

Written for these daily prompts: E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (October), The Daily Spur (young), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (describe), Ragtag Daily Prompt (soft), Your Daily Word Prompt (later ), Word of the Day Challenge (pathos), and My Vivid Blog (discrimination).

25 thoughts on “A Good Cry

1. Lauren April 19, 2022 / 2:13 pm

A heartbreaking tale that happens too often.

2. Marleen April 19, 2022 / 2:49 pm

SO wrong.

I never once said to
    my kids anything
    negative about “tattling.”
    (Not exactly the same thing.)

• Marleen April 19, 2022 / 7:19 pm

Holy shit! I was going to say I’ve seen people abusively misusing certain textual [“sacred”] wording. And… I’ll go ahead and affirm what I was going to say. People have pulled it out to try and shut others up about politics like with Donald Trump, for example. I was perplexed with the idea o shouldn’t share the truth (or facts). I don’t doubt some people have played the card to shut up a molested child. That’s wrong to do!

Lashon hara differs from defamation in that lashon hara can consist of truthful speech as well as lies.

And, now, I’ll illustrate a way in which one shouldn’t always say whatever is observed. While the verse below is about adult women, my description would be if siblings. Let’s say you notice something not so perfect about your brother or sister. It wouldn’t be good to around making a thing of it — because anyone can find something not perfect about their neighbor or sibling. Why not focus on supporting your family’s or community’s well being and improvement? That should, nevertheless, not be a blanket statement to always save face (a perversion of the point)!

I Timothy 5:13

… at the same time they will also learn to be idle, going from house to house and being not only idle, but also gossips and busybodies, discussing things they should not mention. 14 So I advise [that they find something helpful and enjoyable to occupy their minds and time].

3. JT Twissel April 19, 2022 / 4:53 pm

Not being believed is the worst thing. Really messes up a kid’s head.

• Fandango April 19, 2022 / 11:37 pm

It can be devastating.

4. c.f. leach April 19, 2022 / 6:59 pm

I am so sorry this happened to you. But I am also glad you and your mom reconciled—repairing the breach in a mother-daughter relationship is so important. Blessings and Peace!

• Fandango April 19, 2022 / 11:40 pm

Actually, this was fiction. I was never abused by my father as a child, but I have empathy for any child who had to suffer through this kind of trauma.

5. Marilyn Armstrong April 19, 2022 / 9:21 pm

Unfortunately, fiction isn’t always fictional. That stuff happens. More often than anyone who isn’t a victim realizes.

• Marleen April 19, 2022 / 9:40 pm

That’s a really good way to put it.

• Fandango April 19, 2022 / 11:44 pm

I know, and the fact that it does happen sickens me.

6. emkingston April 19, 2022 / 10:31 pm

Goosebumps on my skin…It had to be really hard to write this. I cried with you. So much love and support on these comments too.

7. Nope, Not Pam April 20, 2022 / 1:05 am

Yeah, happened to one of my friends, soul destroying

8. revivedwriter April 20, 2022 / 10:13 am

This was hard to read. I literally felt sick, despite how brief the post is. You did a great job with this story.

• Fandango April 20, 2022 / 10:18 am

Thanks. It was hard to write. It’s fiction, but a painful reality for too many children.

9. Gr8BigFun April 20, 2022 / 10:18 am

A great story Fandango, unfortunately all to true for some though.

• Fandango April 21, 2022 / 9:58 am

Yes, for the character in my story. Fortunately, this was fiction, so I was not abused as a child.

10. Carol anne May 16, 2022 / 1:49 pm

I liked this one Fandango. Very well done a great story!

Comments are closed.