I Have Deep Pockets

Aren’t you happy for me? Sounds wonderful, right? Well, unfortunately it’s not what it sounds like. Let me explain.

I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in almost three years (thank you COVID) and the news wasn’t good. I had a significant tartar accumulation, especially around my bottom front teeth. I also have a cavity filling that is deteriorating and needs to be replaced. But if that’s not enough, also have what the dentist referred to as “deep pockets,” also known as “periodontal pockets.”

When there is plaque or tartar around or below the gum, it starts to pull away, creating a deeper pocket due to inflammation and swelling from the bacteria. This is when the gum starts to have “pockets” deeper than three millimeters, which indicate some form of gum disease.

The dental hygienist used some sort of medieval torture instrument to measure my pockets and most of them were in the four to five millimeter range, with an occasional six millimeter pocket just for good measure.

The hygienist spent nearly an hour torturing me in order to clean away most of the tartar on and around my teeth, but I have to go back in two weeks two have part two of the cleaning and for a remeasuring of my pockets. And also to have that decomposing filling replaced.

I can hardly wait!

24 thoughts on “I Have Deep Pockets

1. rugby843 April 14, 2022 / 10:17 am

Yikes. After all the Med procedures I have been through the dentist is the very worst

Sent from my iPhone

2. Alice DeForest April 14, 2022 / 10:25 am

I didn’t wait quite as long as you did but when I went after the Covid break I had a similar report.

3. newepicauthor April 14, 2022 / 10:29 am

You can get Soft-Picks on Amazon, which are flexible, comfortable bristles to gently remove plaque, dislodge food & massage gums. The flexible synthetic rubber bristles fit easily between most teeth, removing dental plaque where gum disease often starts and toothbrushes can’t reach.

• Fandango April 14, 2022 / 11:09 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered 60 to give it a try.

4. Paula Light April 14, 2022 / 10:32 am

Since I have never had dental insurance, all my visits to the dentist require me to reach deeply into my pocket… 😬

• Fandango April 14, 2022 / 11:14 am

Yeah, me too, as Medicare doesn’t cover dental expenses. Or hearing aids. 😠

• Lou Carreras April 14, 2022 / 2:05 pm

AAA has a dental plan available for members. I got it when I turned 65. It covers filling, yearly x-rays, simple fillings, and dome other work. It costs about $550 a year, which is not cheap. But I’ve had two bridges made, and they paid half on each of them.

• Fandango April 14, 2022 / 4:20 pm

Good to know. I’m a AAA member. I’ll look into it.

5. Carol anne April 14, 2022 / 10:33 am

Yuck! I am so glad I’m not you! I am lucky, I’ve never had so much as a filling in my 42 years, all I’ve gone to the dentist for is to have a wisdom tooth pulled and my teeth cleaned. Good luck, fingers crossed it all goes to plan!

6. Marleen April 14, 2022 / 11:37 am

Jeez! I never knew, before, that it gets down into the bone (as seen in the picture).

7. writerravenclaw April 14, 2022 / 12:36 pm

I switched to a battery toothbrush when I was told I had gum disease, which worked for me. When I went back three months later they were much better. I brushed my teeth every day, so thought I was okay.

8. pensitivity101 April 14, 2022 / 1:08 pm

I sympathise. I hate going to the dentist, and had a hygienist attack my teeth with a jack hammer, screwdriver and trowel several years ago to the tune of £45. Never again. The pain generated was unacceptable and my gums didn’t settle down for almost a week.
    We go religiously twice a year (apart from during Covid when it was once a year) and a descale and polish used to be included as standard with a check up. Not so now, they say it is a ‘deep clean’ to bump you into the next price bracket. Hubby and I had this the time before last and were recommended to buy electric toothbrushes, use a sensitive toothpaste (we both have gum recession) and rinse with corsodyl twice a day. Last check up was positive with no treatment needed, but the toothpaste recommended this time turned out to be £4.35 for a 100ml tube. We are paying 70p for a shop’s own brand and it suits us. Good luck for your next visit.

9. K.Hartless April 14, 2022 / 1:11 pm

Ha! Love the turn of phrase. I’m sure they’ll help your pockets get less deep real soon, friend. 😂😂

10. JT Twissel April 14, 2022 / 1:29 pm

I used to go to a dentist whose methods were like torture and whose fees … well, he drove a Lamborghini … but his office was within walking distance of my house. I managed to improve my deep pockets by switching to an electric toothbrush and Arm and Hammer toothpaste (it’s a bit gritter than other toothpastes)

11. donmatthewspoetry April 14, 2022 / 3:24 pm

Twice a year checkups are imperative. I know it costs the earth but it’s worth it……

12. Nope, Not Pam April 14, 2022 / 3:27 pm

Ouch, dentists have their very own brand of pain 😲

13. Sadje April 14, 2022 / 6:03 pm

A visit to the dentist is seldom good news.

14. cagedunn April 14, 2022 / 9:29 pm

No one is going to recommend this, but I’ve managed to deal with the build up by adding a small amt of bicarb to the toothpaste when I brush. Tastes like [yeah, that stuff], but has saved me zillions.

Comments are closed.