K is for The Karate Kid

For this year’s A-To-Z Challenge, my theme is MOVIES. I will be working my way through the alphabet during the month of April with movie titles and short blurbs about each movie. Today’s movie is “The Karate Kid.”

“The Karate Kid” was a 1984 American martial arts drama film written by Robert Mark Kamen and directed by John G. Avildsen. It starred Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Elisabeth Shue, and William Zabka. The movie was also a commercial success, grossing over $130 million worldwide, making it one of the highest-grossing films of 1984 and Hollywood’s biggest sleeper hit of the year. It also revitalized the acting career of Morita, earning him a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

Daniel (Ralph Macchio) moves to Southern California with his mother, but quickly finds himself the target of a group of bullies who study karate at the Cobra Kai dojo. Fortunately, Daniel befriends Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita), an unassuming repairman who just happens to be a martial arts master himself. Miyagi takes Daniel under his wing, training him in a more compassionate form of karate and preparing him to compete against the brutal Cobra Kai.

“The Karate Kid” is an ’80s classic, an inspirational film that’s fun and enjoyable. It delivers an entertaining story about the bonds of friendship, and there’s a sincerity and earnestness to both the story and the characters that really comes through.

Sadly, the same can’t be said for three sequels it spawned: “The Karate Kid Part II” (1986), “The Karate Kid Part III” (1989), and “The Next Karate Kid” (1994). I haven’t watched “Cobra Kai,” the Netflix series, yet another Karate Kid sequel, that debuted in 2018, so I can’t comment on that. But if any of you have watched it, feel free to share your thoughts.

Previous A2Z 2022 posts: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

30 thoughts on “K is for The Karate Kid

1. Gr8BigFun April 13, 2022 / 6:15 am

I remember the original as a kid. Don’t forget the 2010 Will Smith driven, Jaden Smith starring Karate Kid reboot where the kid doesn’t actually learn karate, instead the kid learns Chinese Kung Fu. Like the other sequels it was not a good film.

2. Marleen April 13, 2022 / 6:22 am

I’ve enjoyed the Netflix series. It has the actual same actors (as adults) who fought each other in the climax (as kids), and some other originals as well. Plus some new people.

3. eschudel April 13, 2022 / 6:30 am

We still say wax on, wax off around the house sometimes…pretty randomly though…

4. Ruth April 13, 2022 / 8:51 am

Yup, the original is definitely the best… and ‘wax on, wax off’ is one of our favourite family sayings too, often applied in the weirdest of situations! 🙂

5. ghostmmnc April 13, 2022 / 12:13 pm

We really liked the first one, and I do remember bits of the second one. We still watch it when we happen to catch it on TV. 🙂

6. Nope, Not Pam April 13, 2022 / 1:11 pm

Now this one I have seen, and I really enjoyed it … wax on, wax off 😂

7. goldfish April 13, 2022 / 2:34 pm

I haven’t watched Cobra Kai either. Mostly because I don’t want to potentially ruin yet another thing from my childhood. Sleeping dogs lie and all that.

8. Jay April 14, 2022 / 5:21 am

Oh, boy, this really took me down the memory lane! It came out when I was two, but I watched it when I was a bit older, of course, and Mr. Miyagi was the friend I wish I had as a teen! 🙂 Looking forward to the other posts!

9. J-Dub April 26, 2022 / 5:52 pm

I loved the original movie. Never saw the sequels. I binged Cobra Kai. To me, it’s campy with an excellent soundtrack so if you like that it’s good. If only to see some of the original characters all grown up.