Fandango’s Provocative Question #37 Revisited

Note: Because I am participating in the A to Z blogging challenge this month, I will not be posting any new provocative question until May. Instead, I will be revisiting some previous provocative questions that you might have missed. This one was originally posted on August 21, 2019 and can be found here. Please feel free to respond to it if you haven’t already.

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

For this week’s provocative question, I am concerned about how partisan just about everybody appears to be. We seem to have reached the point where everyone behaves as if “you’re either with me or you’re against me,” and there is no middle ground.

I remember that there was a time not that long ago when people could disagree about specific issues without animosity, but those days seem to be over, particularly in the areas of politics and religion.

So my question to you this week is simply this:

Is it possible anymore to disagree without being disagreeable?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

21 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #37 Revisited

1. Mister Bump UK April 6, 2022 / 6:34 am

I’d differentiate between “knowing” things (I can’t think of any negatives to knowing more) and how we apply that knowledge (whigh might be for better or worse, and usually worse).

We should be aware that even seemingly obvious plusses have flip sides. The internet, for example, which has enabled so much, has dramatically increased the need for electricity. 2/3 the electricity in the UK is produced in a non-renewable manner.

• Marleen April 13, 2022 / 2:13 pm

Phoenix [a very hot place in the dessert requiring loads of air conditioning on top of the electricity to run the machines that hold the data] has established itself as a major market for cloud computing, and nearly every major [hyper-scale] platform and wholesale data center developer has lined up land for future capacity in Greater Phoenix. The region is positioned for continued data center expansion, and the pace and location of that growth will be guided by deployment trends ……..

• Marleen April 13, 2022 / 2:20 pm

June 19, 2021, 5:00 AM CDT
      By Olivia Solon

On May 17, the City Council of Mesa, Arizona, approved the $800 million development of an enormous data center — a warehouse filled with computers storing all of the photos, documents and other information we store “in the cloud” — on an arid plot of land in the eastern part of the city.

But keeping the rows of powerful computers inside the data center from overheating will require up to 1.25 million gallons of water each day, a price that Vice Mayor Jenn Duff believes is too high.“This has been the driest 12 months in 126 years,” she ………………..

2. Carol anne April 6, 2022 / 6:36 am

I feel it can be both negative and positive, there will always be those who use technological advances in a negative way, but there will also always be those who embrace it and use them in a positive way!

3. Melanie B Cee April 6, 2022 / 10:52 am

Is technological advancement a net positive or a net negative? I know I rambled on extensively when this was first posed. So I’ll reiterate the gist of that post (and I don’t really have time to go search it up right now)…. It’s a mix, with a ‘net negative’ weighing more heavily IMO. But then I was born “before” technology was so integrated into every day life. I wouldn’t miss it greatly, but it would take some time to adjust “back”.

4. Marleen April 13, 2022 / 3:11 pm

Is it possible anymore to disagree without being disagreeable?

Most of the time, yes.

I have noticed that almost none (if any) of the big things are going to be solved.. at least any time soon. Landfills and dumps continue as usual, recycling doesn’t happen for the most part (even if we put our stuff in the correct bin(s)*); the more likely recycling involves impoverished kids scrounging for rare minerals out of old computers in piles. We’re not going to cut down on polluting the planet (and poisoning communities and individuals) in old ways and new. Today, I saw a documentary from Canada on phone scamming; it affirmed a suspicion I’d had, that politicians and trusted officials are in on the loot. With that outlook, it’s best to be matter-of-fact on any topic because upset won’t matter and isn’t worth alienating a friend or family member or even, really, a stranger. I have two main concerns, today: the first is motivation against false accusations and slander and stolen valor-type activities. This has been a prompt for truth in my life for along time, and I see it as a standing position that lends itself to just the facts.

My second concern, today, is the simplification and transparency of taxes. In the country where my middle child has become a citizen, NZ, taxes are public information for everyone and done automatically online (unless one wants to challenge individually). I’m in favor of that. A little thing that would make life simpler. And the transparency might lend toward some reformations of income inequality. New Zealand does have more of a social safety net.

* I might be wrong, but the recycling that takes more effort — like taking glass and metal specifically to collection locations rather than putting plastic and paper in the second bin at home — probably gets us somewhere. (Yet, the second bin gets us more garbage space.)

5. CARAMEL April 13, 2022 / 10:52 pm

lol – I am confused! Is your question about disagreeing without being disagreeable? Reading the comments above I feel like I am missing something.

But on the disagreeing question – yes, of course it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. I think I have mentioned before but when someone expresses their opinion with insults designed to belittle and humiliate the person they are talking to, rather than using logic and reason, well they have made themselves disagreeable. But two people can have different opinions and still treat each other with dignity and respect.

• Fandango April 14, 2022 / 9:17 am

“But two people can have different opinions and still treat each other with dignity and respect.” I would hope so, but it seems that there is less of that these days than there used to be.

• CARAMEL April 15, 2022 / 3:56 am

You are so right. There is a discernible lack of social skills all round. In the past, I think people did learn that tact, sensitivity, diplomacy were important in social interactions. Whereas nowadays, it is the norm for people to voice insensitive, dogmatic, and often abusive opinions in the virtual realm, often hiding behind a mask.

I think it is sad that in some cases, people have lost the ability to hold a different opinion to another person, and yet treat them with dignity, respect and kindness.

Perhaps that is yet another sign of the divisions in society deepening? The lack of love for fellow man is desperately sad.

• Fandango April 15, 2022 / 9:32 am

Those divisions are pulling at the threads that hold our society together.