J is for Jerry Maguire

For this year’s A-To-Z Challenge, my theme is MOVIES. I will be working my way through the alphabet during the month of April with movie titles and short blurbs about each movie. Today’s movie is “Jerry Maguire.”

“Jerry Maguire” was a 1996 American romantic comedy-drama sports film written, produced, and directed by Cameron Crowe. It starred Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr., Renée Zellweger, and Regina King. The movie was inspired in part by sports agent Leigh Steinberg, as well as by a 28-page memo distributed at Disney in 1991 written by Jeffrey Katzenberg.

“Jerry Maguire” was the ninth-highest-grossing film of 1996. It was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Tom Cruise, with Cuba Gooding Jr. winning Best Supporting Actor. It also received nominations for three Golden Globes, with Cruise winning for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, and three Screen Actors Guild Awards, with Gooding winning Best Supporting Actor.

The story is about a slick sports agent (Tom Cruise) who suddenly discovers his scruple and promptly loses his job. His sudden fall from grace motivates his quest for professional recovery, while he experiences the dawning realization that he needs the love and respect of a single mom, Dorothy Boyd (Renée Zellweger), the one loyal colleague who supports him by joining him in his new venture and sticks with him through the worst of times. Cuba Gooding Jr. plays the football star, Rod Tidwell, who remains Jerry’s only loyal client. Banking on Tidwell, Jerry and Dorothy begin to fall in love as they struggle to make their business work.

Aside from being a huge moneymaker, the movie introduced a number of new catchphrases into the vernacular, including “You complete me,” “Help me help you,” “You had me at hello,” and “Show me the money.” It is a real feel-good movie and it may even squeeze a few happy tears from your eyes.

Previous A2Z 2022 posts: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

41 thoughts on “J is for Jerry Maguire

1. eschudel April 12, 2022 / 6:52 am

I’ve never seen this one all the way through…might have to check it out…

2. Nope, Not Pam April 12, 2022 / 1:09 pm

I kind of wonder what all the hype was about with this one. I guess that’s what happens when you don’t watch movies.

• Nope, Not Pam April 12, 2022 / 10:52 pm

The last movie I watched was Inception, and that was the only thing I watched on TV or movies that year. Haven’t watched anything since

• Nope, Not Pam April 13, 2022 / 1:17 am

I did a screenwriting course which demonstrated how scripts are written. From then on I drove everyone crazy telling them what would happen, when and how. I kind of stopped then, as there wasn’t any pleasure anymore

• Fandango April 13, 2022 / 5:08 am

So learning how movie scripts are written ruined watching movies for you. I hope you never learn how blogs are written. 😉

• Nope, Not Pam April 13, 2022 / 5:17 am

Are you trying to tell me something? 🤣

3. Marleen April 12, 2022 / 2:09 pm

Very cute, and… yep, a happy tear jerker. (Tom Cruise, himself, is a tragedy. I don’t how he continues to do good work. And I don’t usually like Cuba Gooding Junior, but sometimes.)