45 Days

I got fitted for hearing aids yesterday. Now I’ve got 45 days to decide if I like them. 45 days to retrain my brain to hear through them. 45 days to get used to them.

So far, everything sounds a bit tinny, including my own voice. I’m getting the sense of a bit of an echo chamber inside my head. And I can hear things amplified that give me pause, like the sounds of a deck of cards being shuffled when my wife and I play 500 rummy or the sound of my stream hitting the toilet water when I pee. (TMI?)

But on the other hand, I can watch TV without having to wear headphones or to have the volume up so high that it blows my wife out of the room. At the same time, I have to remind my wife that she needn’t yell at me to make herself heard. Have you ever tried telling your spouse to keep her voice down? Take my advice, don’t try that at home!

And when I go outside now I can hear birds tweeting during the day and crickets chirping at night, sounds I haven’t heard in a long time, so that’s a good thing.

I have three biweekly follow up appointments with the audiologist for adjustments and fine tuning over the next 45 days. Hopefully, those will address any kinks and give my brain the time it takes to acclimate to hearing aids.

I’ll let you know how it’s going 45 days from now.

32 thoughts on “45 Days

1. cagedunn April 8, 2022 / 3:40 pm

There have been many times I’ve told SO to bring his voice down a few dozen decibels after he’s visited the nonagenarians – and I’m mostly deaf, so it’s loud! He doesn’t mind, but it takes a while for him to wind down from the habituation.

2. Marilyn Armstrong April 8, 2022 / 4:24 pm

IF you can stand the stuff pushed in your ears, they can be a real blessing. My hearing is diminishing, but I can’t stand anything in my ears, so I will have to get a lot more deaf than I am. Also, compared to Garry, I hear perfectly.

What? Eh?

• Fandango April 8, 2022 / 7:18 pm

I don’t really mind the little tips in my ears. After a while I forget about them.

3. donmatthewspoetry April 8, 2022 / 4:27 pm

I’m pleased you’ve taken the move. A new world will open to you. But yes, you do tend to get an echo in the head…….

4. jilldennison April 8, 2022 / 6:05 pm

I tried hearing aids once, but all it did was make things louder, not any clearer, so I gave them up almost immediately. I’m tempted, though, to try them again, for I have almost no hearing left and no matter how loud someone talks, I cannot understand them unless I can see their mouth, so phone conversations are completely out. I’ll be curious to see how you fare with yours over time and then maybe I’ll get brave enough to try again!

• Fandango April 8, 2022 / 11:25 pm

Hearing aid technology has gotten a lot better recently. And I can make and receive phone calls on my iPhone and the audio goes directly to my hearing aids.

• jilldennison April 9, 2022 / 8:08 pm

Oooohhhh … that’s awesome! I’ve mostly stopped talking on the phone altogether, for while I can sometimes understand men, I cannot understand women’s voices.

• Fandango April 9, 2022 / 10:07 pm

Women’s voices are at a higher frequency than men’s, and that’s usually where most hearing loss occurs.

• jilldennison April 10, 2022 / 10:18 pm

Yes, I can hear thunder, but not the cat screeching! Sometimes deafness is a blessing 😉

5. Lou Carreras April 8, 2022 / 7:31 pm

My wife uses them, and yes she said at first that things sounded tinny, but she loved hearing the birds again. And yes, I still have to speak loudly sometimes because they are not perfect – male voices are lower in register which proves to be a problem for tuning the hearing aids sometimes.

• Fandango April 8, 2022 / 11:27 pm

Yes, there is a science around tuning them for both male and female voices.

6. Taswegian1957 April 8, 2022 / 7:58 pm

It sounds like more pluses than minuses so far. Perhaps the fine tuning will make them even better.

7. sandyjwhite April 8, 2022 / 9:05 pm

I have had my hearing aids for about a year now. It does take time to adjust. Being able to hear the TV and my spouse is a real plus. But I still find it hard to have something stuffed in my ears and am bothered by the sound of my own voice. They aren’t perfect for sure, but I have found the benefits to outweigh the disadvantages. Hang in there!

8. Lauren April 8, 2022 / 9:52 pm

Good luck with them. I hope they make your life easier.

9. bushboy April 8, 2022 / 11:06 pm

Looks like the gains are outweighing the losses. I hope they work out well

10. Mister Bump UK April 9, 2022 / 12:19 am

A lot of my clients have some. They basically talk about how the audiologists can “tune” them, basically like a graphic equalizer, to make them just so. Wouldn’t surprise me if you could do that, too.

All done wirelessly.Sounds basically like an app on your phone.

11. Words on Paper April 9, 2022 / 12:32 am

Thanks for your valuable info, and I will be following your progress, as this could be me one of these days…

12. Nope, Not Pam April 9, 2022 / 12:52 am

Good luck, hopeful you adapt quickly and enjoy the benefit to its fullest extent 🙂

13. Gr8BigFun April 9, 2022 / 6:56 am

Good luck Fandango. The marvel of modern tech. Just a hundred and fifty years ago those soundscape would have been gone forever.

14. Irene April 10, 2022 / 6:16 am

The gift of hearing birds and crickets again sounds (no pun intended, hehe) like a great incentive to make the hearing aids work. Best wishes!

15. leigha66 May 11, 2022 / 7:43 pm

Every once in a while I need a dose of Mother Nature and that usually includes bird song… I would be lost if I could no longer hear the birds sing. I hope it is going well for you!