It’s time once again for E.M. Kingston’s The Sunday Ramble. Her prompt is based upon a certain topic about which she asks five questions. We are invited to ramble on about that topic however we wish. Today’s topic is “Vacations and Travel.”
Now that I’m retired, it’s been a long while since I last took what one might call a traditional vacation. Most of my vacations recently have been more like “staycations,” long weekend getaways, or day trips. But back in the day, I used to vacation with the best of them!
1. When at the ocean, do you want to be in it, on it, or just look at it?
2. Have you ever surfed or gone snorkeling?
3. When traveling, do you experiment with the local dining experience or pack a picnic/cook for yourself and anyone with you?
Okay, okay, I’ll stop with the one-word answers. When camping, we used to do picnics and grill meals at our campsites. When going on vacations that involved more traditional vacation accommodations (i.e., hotels or motels), we definitely would take advantage of the local cuisine.
4. What is your biggest pet peeve when traveling?
Other travelers, particularly rude, obnoxious tourists.
5. Are you someone who takes a lot of photos on vacation? If so, you can share your favorite vacation photos.
Since I always have my iPhone with me, yes, I take a lot of photos, but way too many to pick just a few to post here. I used to use services that would create hard-covered photo books to share with family and friends as mementos of those vacations.
Below is an example of one such book that I made for an Alaskan cruise our family took in 2007. I’ve blurred out our faces
because we’re so damn ugly and I didn’t want to scare anyone to maintain our anonymity.