The More You Know, The Madder You’ll Get

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but our “friends” WordPress seem bound and determined to fuck over their casual, hobby blogger users in favor of business and e-commerce users.

I’m reblogging this post from beetleypete, who saw this post from Bookstooge.

Bottom line, the Personal, Premium, Business, and eCommerce plans will disappear and there will only be two plans: the Free plan and the Pro plan. The cost of the Pro plan will be $180 a year, paid in advance (not monthly), which is more than three-times what I’m currently paying for the Personal plan.

With the new Free plan, you’ll be limited to 0.5 GB of storage space in your media library, versus 3.0 GB of media storage today. There will also be other Free plan limitations that beetleypete and Bookstooge mention in their posts.

I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!

Read these two post. Then I think all of us need to contact WordPress to vocally complain about this new pricing policy. We can’t let these greedy fuckers get away with this.

WordPress is about to change the variety of plans available to bloggers. In their ongoing quest to pander to business users, (and to make more money)…

Free Or Paid Plan on WordPress? Read this!

40 thoughts on “The More You Know, The Madder You’ll Get

1. Bookstooge April 2, 2022 / 12:39 pm

The very fact that we bloggers are having to spread the word about this is unconscionable in my opinion.

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 2:14 pm

I can’t agree with you more. Thanks for your informative post.

2. amoralegria April 2, 2022 / 12:43 pm

I got the expensive plan (Business, I think it was called) because I needed more media storage. Because if your photos aren’t stored in your library, they won’t show up in your posts either! I’ve gone to some of my older posts and the photos aren’t there anymore. I must have deleted some to get more space. I’ll probably end up paying the $180, but also maybe I should post fewer pictures!

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 2:15 pm

It’s awful how WordPress is turning its back on hobby bloggers.

3. Paula Light April 2, 2022 / 12:44 pm

WTAF??? OK, so I guess I can return to Blogger/Blogspot. Already have an inactive blog there. What a giant pain in the ass though. But I guess it’s been coming, with the way that WP has treated hobby bloggers so shittily the past few years…

• Roy April 2, 2022 / 3:54 pm

Every time I use WordPress I cringe at the ads. I thought about getting the lowest tier plan to get rid of the ads, but I guess that’s not very cost effective anymore. I, too, have an active blogger.com blog!

4. XingfuMama April 2, 2022 / 1:37 pm

This is very concerning! I appreciate that you are getting the word out about it.

• newepicauthor April 2, 2022 / 3:28 pm

That article that you cited has no date and it doesn’t actually say that, or list the prices that you spoke about.

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 4:03 pm

Here are the prices according to WordPress.

WordPress Free
          $0

WordPress Pro
          $15
          per month, billed yearly

Also, that blogger Bookstooge said he wrote to the Happiness Engineers and they responded,

“When your Personal Plan expires, your site will switch to a free plan with free features.

1). The storage space will be 3GB instead of 6GB.
          2). No ability to upload audio files.
          3). No ability to add payment buttons.
          4). No ability to offer premium content.
          5). bookstooge.wordpress.com will be your site’s address.

Sounds pretty definitive to me.

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 4:18 pm

Jim, I just reached out to WordPress support and asked, “Is it true that WordPress is combining the Personal, Premium, Business, and eCommerce plans into one “Pro” plan and will only be offering a scaled-back free plan and a $180/year Pro plan?”

I’ll let you know if they respond back. Maybe it’s just a bad April Fool’s Day joke.

• newepicauthor April 2, 2022 / 5:11 pm

My Premium plan expires on April 22, 2022 and I want to renew it, but I will wait for you to get back to me when you get a response to your inquiry.

5. Renard Moreau April 2, 2022 / 3:44 pm

😧 I should have stayed on Blogger.

I am on the free WordPress plan and I hate the idea of my free storage being reduced from 3 GB to 0.5 GB.

What a lot of people are unaware of is that WordPress is limiting the incoming views of those on the free WordPress plan to 10,000 visits per month.

Could someone tell me if this is an April Fool’s joke?

6. bushboy April 2, 2022 / 5:42 pm

Manja found out that the .5gb was wrong and the 3gb stays.
    I am unsure but will factor in the price as I pay for premium anyway as a photo blogger.

7. Lauren April 2, 2022 / 5:52 pm

Holy crud. Just when I found a community I adore being a part of, they pull the rug out from under me and the rest of us hobby bloggers.

8. jilldennison April 2, 2022 / 7:25 pm

I’ve done a bit of digging, and can find nothing about this, so I’ll wait for you to let us know what WP has to say. It wouldn’t come as a great surprise, though yes, it would be very unfair of them, but again … I’m not so sure it’s true. Keep us posted, my friend.

9. betterworldmatrix April 2, 2022 / 8:33 pm

There are other blog sites you can use but WordPress is one of the best. We’ll see what happens.

• Fandango April 3, 2022 / 5:36 am

You’re welcome. Thanks for getting this information out.

10. Nope, Not Pam April 3, 2022 / 3:12 am

I just had a look online and in AU we’re looking at $240/year, now last year I Sartre do my new blog and couldn’t decide if I wanted a paid plan. The decider came when they offered me 25% off. Maybe a bit of stubbornness might have results

• Fandango April 3, 2022 / 5:47 am

I don’t think they care about us “hobby” bloggers. Everything they do clearly indicates that their focus is on professional, business, e-commerce blogs. We casual bloggers seem to be an annoyance to them.

• Nope, Not Pam April 4, 2022 / 1:05 am

I would’ve thought we were they’re bread and butter. They might miss us in hindsight

11. Jay April 3, 2022 / 7:27 am

Oh, that’s fun (not). Just clicked hosting configurations/settings, and the only paid option was Pro, which would set me back 900 in my currency per year, which… yeah, no. With that money, if I wanted to pay it, I’d just self-host and not depend on WordPress. I guess once I hit my limit on the media, I’ll be closing up shop and moving elsewhere. Bummer, I had just transferred my Portuguese blog to WordPress too. :/ Whining aside, thank you so much for sharing!

12. ghostmmnc April 3, 2022 / 9:28 am

I don’t like the sound of this at all. I’m already on the Premium, and don’t want to go higher. I’ve already run out of photo space, too. Guess I’ll just wait and see. Thanks for the information.

13. Marilyn Armstrong April 3, 2022 / 8:49 pm

I can renew early this month instead of next — which will give me a year, By the end of that year, I may not even want to bother. Traffic IS dropping and I have noticed it not ONLY on my site, but on many other sites that used to have a lot more traffic. I don’t know if they are intentionally stopping traffic or it’s just a thing. This wasn’t going to last forever no matter how much we wanted it to. it never has in the past, so there’s no reason to assume it would now. Sooner or later, like ALL the other sites, this one was going to self destruct. I don’t think it will survive as a business site. The competition is very intense and WP really is not set up for business, no matter WHAT they claim. There are many better plans available.

We’ll see. I can’t blow any more gaskets over WP. I hate what WP has become anyhow, so losing it isn’t nearly as big a deal as it would have been a few years ago.

• Fandango April 3, 2022 / 8:55 pm

It’s a shame that it was once the best blogging sites around, and now it has lost (or changed) its focus.