SoSC — The Tipping Point

For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has asked us to use the word “tip” as a noun or a verb.

My wife and I have actually not had a dinner out in a restaurant in more than two years (thank you COVID). But when we used to go out, we would debate the proper amount to tip the waiter or waitress. I would argue that 15% of the tab, excluding any taxes, was sufficient. She would argue that 20% should be the benchmark because the cost of living has gone up and the tip should reflect that higher cost of living. Plus, she felt that the tip calculation should include any taxes.

I acknowledge that the cost of living has gone up, but my rationale for leaving the tip at 15% is that the cost of the meal has gone up to reflect the higher cost of living. For example, for a dinner that five years ago might have cost $50, a 15% tip would have been $7.50. If the tab for that same dinner today were $80, the 15% tip would be $12.00. That equates to a 60% increase in the tip amount for the same meal, which, in this illustration, cost 60% more than it did five years ago. That seems fair, doesn’t it?

But with the 20% tip my wife pushes for, in the same scenario as just described, her 20% tip would be $16. That would equate to a whopping 113.33% increase in the tip amount for the same meal, which, in this illustration, cost only 60% more than it did five years ago. That’s nuts, right?

My wife also believes that my tipping philosophy, rather than being related to the level of service provided by the server, is directly proportional to the gender and attractiveness of said server. She believes that I leave more generous tips to female servers. More specifically, she believes that the size of the female server’s breasts will influence how big a tip I will leave (i.e., the larger the female server’s cup size, the larger my tip). And if the server is a blonde (my wife believes I have a weakness for blondes), my wife claims I’ll leave a larger tip, regardless of cup size.

Of course, none of that is true. My tips are gender neutral. And the only cup size that matters to me when I eat at a restaurant is the size of the cup my coffee comes in.

16 thoughts on “SoSC — The Tipping Point

1. writerravenclaw April 2, 2022 / 3:10 am

In the UK, we don’t really tip, although now there is an automatic tip request when you pay by card. I’m not sure how much of that really goes to the employees.

2. JoAnna April 2, 2022 / 5:07 am

My tips are directly related to service – more niceness than wait time. I have not paid much attention to what my husband tips. Now you’ve got me curious.

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 5:21 am

Uh oh! Please apologize to your husband on my behalf.

• JoAnna April 2, 2022 / 6:00 pm

🙂 It’ll be okay. I’m sure he’ll claim to be gender neutral.

3. Lauren April 2, 2022 / 6:16 am

How come I think your wife is on to something regarding your tipping practices?

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 7:48 am

I deny it. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

4. Marleen April 2, 2022 / 1:29 pm

My basic is 20 percent, but not including [part to (not) be] on the tax. Yet I don’t feel bad to reduce it to 15 percent if service was really not good (and I’d go lower if it was really bad). I do have a problem feeling like not tipping at all isn’t almost ever a possibility; I think I’ve never chosen to do that. There is one time, actually, I really think I should’ve. In that case, there wasn’t a server per se. Someone who was part of the family ownership came out to barely serve. (And there was a serious problem beyond that, but I’ll not go into it right now.) My point of view on tipping isn’t about inflation but the fact that, in the U.S., the base pay can be like $2.50 per hour for wait staff.

Meanwhile: Because of what she sees as a “tipping point” in America 🇺🇸, Sarah Palin has announced that she plans to run for office, again, in her state. Did she say the tipping point has anything to do with Trump, et al? No. She did speak up, early on, against some things his ilk were saying in 2015. But she backed away from that, sort of quickly. Not sure what she could seriously contribute. I suppose we will see what she wants to do or claim to know or believe Or, perhaps she sees it as her most likely way to gain an income at this point, and insider information for investments, rather than an opportunity to serve the country or her neighbors in Alaska.

• Fandango April 2, 2022 / 2:35 pm

Sarah Palin is such a tool.

5. Taswegian1957 April 3, 2022 / 12:03 am

We don’t have a tipping culture here in Australia so I can’t really comment on what is the correct amount. If I were going to the USA I’d be asking the advice of my blogging friends, I think.
    It’s different here too because the tax is included in the cost of the meal not a separate item. GST is 10% but I’d have no idea which items on the menu were taxable and which were not.
    I do think it is fine to give tips for good service, if a server has gone out of their way to be helpful and nice, they deserve a tip.
    Naomi and I had this discussion before cruising for the first time. Gratuities were included in our fare so we didn’t really have to tip but we did tip the cabin steward and our two dining room waiters because they did a great job and made us feel special. Whether we tipped them an appropriate amount I have no idea.
    When I worked as a housekeeper in a hotel, guests occasionally tipped but sometimes they would leave us chocolates or just a nice thank you note instead. We didn’t mind. It was nice to get a tip but the appreciation was also welcome and we got Award wages. I’m sure the wage for a cleaner is much more in Australia than the USA. Minimum wage there sounds very low which makes the tipping more important, I guess. I think employers should just pay a decent wage but I doubt that will happen.

• Fandango April 3, 2022 / 5:23 am

In the U.S., tipping service people is expected.

6. leigha66 May 1, 2022 / 2:21 am

Having worked in a restaurant for many years I do always tip something… wait staffs work hard and are not paid well in the US. Personally I would rather the wages just went up and they did away with tips, but then again.. how would you “punish” them for bad service!

Comments are closed.