Throwback Thursday — Student Daze

Maggie, at From Cave Walls, and Lauren, at LSS Attitude of Gratitude, alternate hosting Throwback Thursday. The idea of the prompt is for them to give us a topic and for us to write a post in which we share our own memories or experiences about the given topic. This week, Maggie chose the topic of “Report cards and Progress Reports.”

1. Looking back now, would you say you were a good, fair, or struggling student? I was a pretty good student. I was actually kind of a nerdy, book-wormy type.
  2. How often were your school efforts reported to your parents? If I remember correctly, report cards were published every eight weeks.
  3. Did you receive letter grades, (i.e., A, B, C, etc.)? Yes.
  4. Was your behavior reported on your progress reports or report cards? In elementary school, yes, but not in middle or high school.
  5. In what subjects did you excel and which subjects were a challenge? I enjoyed English, history, social studies, and most liberal arts/humanities courses and science courses. Math was never my strength.
  6. Did you ever try to change your grade? Turning a C into a B for example? I so rarely got grades below B that I didn’t have to.
  7. Did you keep any of your report cards? Not a one.
  8. Did you get rewarded for good grades? Punished for ‘bad’ grades? Both, but I rarely got “bad” grades, so mostly rewarded.
  9. Did the subjects you excelled in prove to be where you excelled in life? Pretty much, although I did develop some decent math skills for my work.
  10. What was your biggest detraction from your school work? Pretty little maidens all in a row.

11 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday — Student Daze

1. Don Matthews April 1, 2022 / 5:41 pm

I knew your answer to 10 before I read it.

I used to be a teacher. Trying to teach a mixed class of first years. the phases of the moon.

The girls were more interested in the boys and the boys more interested in looking up the girls dresses.

I walked out. And resigned on the spot. Dramatic yes. Feel for me Fan…….

2. Lauren April 1, 2022 / 10:06 pm

Thanks for joining in Fandango. Not many people seemed to enjoy math.

3. Sadje April 1, 2022 / 11:14 pm

I am sure you were a good student when not distracted!

4. Nope, Not Pam April 2, 2022 / 2:40 am

I failed maths and became an accountant. I thought that was kind of ironic

5. Maggie April 2, 2022 / 6:58 am

I had terrible math teachers in school. When I had to take college algebra, I was dreading it, but you know what? I had THE best teacher. He wanted everyone to ‘get it’. I always appreciated it when he said he was terrible at arithmetic but loved algebra. It helped me see them as different animals. Thanks for joining us this week, Fandango.

6. leigha66 May 1, 2022 / 1:55 am

I know there are still a few of my report cards in one of the cabinets here in the house that I haven’t looked through yet… I got ok grades (mostly Bs) and did great in math up until Geometry and Algebra 2. I did not progress on to Trig or Calculus. Your answer to number 10 was great!