Leapin’ Lizards

We have lizards in our backyard. The photo above was taken of one our lizard friends last summer. Now that the weather is getting warmer, these critters are crawling out from under the rocks (or wherever they have been hiding during the cooler months) to sit out on said rocks and bask their little cold-blooded asses in the warm sun.

Earlier this month, we brought home a rescue dog from a kennel and it seems that she is obsessed with lizards like some dogs are with squirrels. When we take her out in our yard, she immediately starts looking around for any lizard who dares to show itself. And then she leaps after it.

Fortunately, she hasn’t been fast enough to actually catch one. Not yet, anyway. In the meantime, though, maybe we should have named our dog Annie, after Little Orphan Annie, whose catchphrase was “Leapin’ Lizards.”

16 thoughts on “Leapin’ Lizards

1. Stine Writing and Miniatures March 31, 2022 / 11:38 am

My dog goes crazy after lizards and squirrels. When in the yard it is usually the lizards but when we are out walking and he sees a squirrel close by I have to make sure my arm is prepared to hold him back. I can’t seem to break him of it.

2. Nope, Not Pam March 31, 2022 / 12:01 pm

It’s nice to see that she’s settling in. Happiness in a dog is a great compliment to the owner 😊

• Fandango March 31, 2022 / 12:37 pm

My now deceased cat use to go after lizards, but he only ever caught one. He was better at catching mice and rats. Our previous dog couldn’t have cared less about lizards.

3. Gr8BigFun March 31, 2022 / 12:45 pm

No lizards here in the great white north but our furry friend has a thing for house flies. When they get inside the chase is on and he almost always catches his prey. God it is funny to watch for those few minutes before he times his leap right.

4. Arbie March 31, 2022 / 12:52 pm

Our dog loves squirrels in all the wrong ways! I haven’t seen her reaction to lizards just yet.

5. annieasksyou March 31, 2022 / 3:44 pm

Poor lizards! I think you read my post about them as showing both the good and bad of climate change. The bad part was the guys (actually gals) in your yard, above the earth, that are hiding behind the rocks for longer periods bc of the heat, thus failing to forage, thus unable to reproduce as they had.

So I believe you need to feed the damn lizards to protect them from extinction!

• Fandango March 31, 2022 / 9:51 pm

…and somehow also protect them from my lizard-obsessed dog.

6. Lauren March 31, 2022 / 3:53 pm

We are hosts to lots and lots of lizards. Annie catches them too often. then she tries to bring them in as a present. We’ve broken that habit, but not her catching them.

7. leigha66 March 31, 2022 / 4:10 pm

I never realized lizards were a regular thing in California. Hope they find a way to get along.

8. Irene April 1, 2022 / 7:38 am

Aww cute pooch, Annie would have been a sweet name indeed.