Go Big or Go Home

When, much to our chagrin, the condition of our old gas guzzler started to reach the breaking point, my wife and I had to make a decision about buying a new car. I wanted to get a hybrid model, specifically a plug-in hybrid. It uses a battery to power an electric motor and then, once the battery is nearly depleted, the car automatically switches over to use the gas powered internal combustion engine.

My wife had a different idea. “Go big or go home,” she said. “Let’s buy a fully electric vehicle and never have to buy gas again.”

Gas was around $4.50 a gallon at the time, and after giving it a lot of thought, I figured why not? Gas prices were bound to continue to go up, so let’s switch to electric. And that’s what we did.

This past Saturday, when we hosted a birthday party for our son over at our place, his father-in-law said to me, “You were quite prescient when you and your wife bought your electric car last August. With cost per gallon of gas approaching $6.50, you must be jubilant over that decision.”

“I am,” I said. “I actually smile every time I pass a gas station. It’s a great feeling.” Then I said to him, “So when are you going to get yourself an electric car so that you, too, can be inducted into the EV car club?”

He laughed and said, “As soon as there are as many electric vehicle charging stations as there are gas stations. Now that I’m retired, my wife and I have turned somewhat nomadic and we’re driving hither and yon all the time. I don’t want us to be out in the middle of nowhere and for our electric car’s battery to run out with no place to charge it up.”

“Fair enough,” I said. “I just hope it will be before the air is too polluted to breathe and the water is too brackish to drink.”

He looked at me, smiled, and said, “The good news is that, at our ages, we’ll probably be dead before that happens.”

Written for these daily from yesterday: My Vivid Blog (chagrin), The Daily Spur (condition), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (hybrid), Word of the Day Challenge (jubilant), Your Daily Word Prompt (induct), E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (nomadic), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (brackish).

15 thoughts on “Go Big or Go Home

• Fandango March 29, 2022 / 9:02 am

It is. I love it!

1. Nope, Not Pam March 29, 2022 / 12:15 pm

We’ve decided on a hybrid for our next car. Long distances here kind of make fully electric a bit impractical

• Fandango March 29, 2022 / 1:01 pm

My electric vehicle can go about 275 miles on a charge, but given the dearth of EV charging stations, especially outside of more urban areas, it can be impractical for those who have to drive long distances.

• Nope, Not Pam March 29, 2022 / 4:13 pm

We have a few charging stations in the inner city suburbs, but nothing beyond

2. JT Twissel March 29, 2022 / 5:46 pm

Luckily we don’t have to go too many places these days – haven’t had to fill the Prius up since just after Christmas. We did notice on our last trip to SoCal a lot more charging places so it is getting better.

3. Taswegian1957 March 30, 2022 / 2:00 am

There are not many charging stations around here as yet but lately I’ve been seeing more and more advertising of EV’s so it’s coming. Despite a Prime Minister who said electric vehicles would “ruin the Sunday drive”. I do like that they are quiet but seeing one at a recent car show we attended I do wonder if there will be a lot more pedestrian accidents as nobody seems to follow the “look right, look left, look right again.” before crossing the road.

• Fandango March 30, 2022 / 12:00 pm

My car seems to have a slight hum to it, so maybe it’s easier for people to hear.

• Fandango March 30, 2022 / 8:13 pm

It also emits a beeping tone when in reverse.

4. leigha66 April 28, 2022 / 5:03 am

So answer me a question I have been wondering about… who pays for the electricity at those charging stations? Are you charged (no pun intended) by the minute you are plugged in or does the business or city swallow up the costs of extra electricity at that location?

• Fandango April 28, 2022 / 6:10 am

I have actually never used a public charging station. I installed a 240 volt charger in my garage that enables me to fully charge the car overnight. Most commercial charging stations are DC fast-charging stations. They typically require an access card or a mobile app for use. You simply link your debit or credit card to the app, and you’re ready to go. I read that, in general, it will cost between $10 and $30 to charge an EV while on the road. The fees go to the company that owns the charging equipment.

Comments are closed.