Who Won The Week — 03/27/22

The idea behind Who Won the Week is to give you the opportunity to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week’s Who Won the Week Winner is Ketanji Brown Jackson, an American attorney and jurist who has served as a federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit since 2021. She is a current nominee for the Supreme Court, awaiting confirmation in the Senate.

This week, the U.S. Senate’s Judiciary Committee held hearings for her nomination and from the GOP perspective, it’s been a totally absurd, partisan shitshow. Judge Jackson is perhaps one of the most qualified, competent Supreme Court nominees in decades, certainly way more qualified than either Brett Kavanaugh or Amy Coney Barrett, Trump’s last two nominees and now SCOTUS justices.

And Judge Jackson, given the ultra-partisan hatchet job the Republican senators on the committee attempted, comported herself with dignity and grace. I’m not going to go into all the gory details about how the Republican senators embarrassed themselves with their ludicrous cross examination. You can Google it if you want to. Or better yet, read this excellent post from fellow blogger Jill Dennison.

If When confirmed, Judge Jackson will not only have more experience than four of the current Supreme Court justices combined, she will also be the first and only justice with experiences as a public defender. So Ketanji Brown Jackson is, without hesitation, my designation for this week’s Who Won the Week.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

17 thoughts on “Who Won The Week — 03/27/22

1. jilldennison March 27, 2022 / 11:31 pm

Thank you so much for sharing my post, Fandango! I greatly appreciate it. I do believe that Judge Jackson will be confirmed, but sadly only because the Democrats hold a majority, albeit slim, in the Senate. I find it disheartening that no Republican dare step outside the “Party Line” to vote his conscience.

• Fandango March 27, 2022 / 11:43 pm

It seems that all Republicans are inexplicably still under the spell of Donald Trump and/or of the far right wing of the party. Either that or they’ve lost their consciences to the extent they ever had any. I hope you’re right about Judge Jackson’s confirmation but I’ve heard rumors (and I hope they’re unfounded) that Joe Manchin is receiving a lot of pressure from some of his GOP “friends in high places” to not vote in her favor.

• jilldennison March 27, 2022 / 11:47 pm

They hear and see and believe only what fits their view of the world. Sometimes I wonder if we’re all like that, but … no, it seems to be mostly those who think that money and power are the goal. Yes, Manchin was under pressure from the Republicans to vote “Nay” on Judge Jackson, but either Thursday or Friday he said he plans to vote for her, so I’m fairly confident that her confirmation will pass. Still, I’ll hold my breath until that happens next month!

2. Nope, Not Pam March 28, 2022 / 2:39 am

I’ve got an odd one this week – South Australian politics. We had an election, there was a major swing against the incumbents, and they graciously conceded. The victor graciously accepted the win and it was all done without ego or bitterness. I was impressed with everyone. Let’s see what happens at the federal election. I suspect that will be an absolute s*itshow.

• Fandango March 28, 2022 / 6:52 am

Graciously conceding an election loss? Since Trump, who has yet to concede that he lost the presidential election in 2020, graciously or otherwise, I’m afraid that may be a thing of the past, at least here in the U.S.

3. emkingston March 28, 2022 / 11:36 am

I am with you! #KBJ won the week. She handled herself so eloquently in light of being attacked by the Retrumplicans. She will be a great Justice.