Truthful Tuesday — Feeling Guilty

Melanie, of Sparks from a Combustible Mind, is filling in for Frank, aka PCGuy, who is taking a temporary hiatus from his Truthful Tuesday prompt. This week Melanie wants to know…

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU’VE REACHED THE END OF YOUR ROPE ABOUT SOMETHING YOU MAY FEEL CONFLICTED OR GUILTY ABOUT? DON’T WE ALL NEED ‘TIME OFF”?

Honestly, there aren’t that many times that I feel guilty or conflicted about things. I’d say the most conflicted and guilty about any decision I’ve had to make was when I had to decide to euthanize a pet, which I had to do with our dog in November 2020 and our cat this past January.

It’s one of those decisions that haunts you because dogs and cats are stoic and even though you know they’re in pain, they still offer you so much unconditional love. So it really still hurts to take their lives. Did you do it too soon? Did you do what was best for them or best for you? Could they have still lived a relatively good life for months or maybe even years longer?

So what did I do? Second guessed, cried, felt guilty as hell. And it just took time to accept that I made the best decision, all things considered.

And a cannabis-infused marshmallow helped.

20 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Feeling Guilty

1. Melanie B Cee March 22, 2022 / 6:47 pm

That task is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. You have my complete sympathy. Great response! 🙂

• Fandango March 22, 2022 / 10:27 pm

Thanks, Melanie. It’s a task that is both heartbreaking and gut wrenching.

• Melanie B Cee March 23, 2022 / 7:56 am

Yes it is! But compassionate and showing great love for the pet in question! ❤

2. (Gypsie) Ami Offenbacher-Ferris March 22, 2022 / 7:44 pm

Marshmallow??? Never had one of those … brownies, gummy worms and a cookie once. But understand about second guessing those tough end of life decisions for our beloved pets. We just have to do what we believe is for the best at the time.

• Fandango March 22, 2022 / 10:29 pm

That’s true, but it’s hard to know for sure that it’s the right thing to do, which makes it so painful.

3. Taswegian1957 March 22, 2022 / 11:33 pm

That is a really hard thing to do. You don’t want to leave it too long but you don’t want to rob them of any good days they might still have and when all is said and done, we don’t want to part with our pets at any time. I’ve done the same, the deciding, the second guessing and the crying. In the end you just have to accept you did your best.

• Fandango March 23, 2022 / 7:40 am

You just have to hope you did what was best.

4. emkingston March 23, 2022 / 12:45 am

Sending big hugs! You did all you could, and my sympathy is with you!

5. Nope, Not Pam March 23, 2022 / 2:57 am

I so relate, Pippa had a terrible seizure and the vet kept on that they could medicate her, but she was so scared, and I still feel terrible about making the decision. Then twelve days later we had to have our other dog put to sleep. I’m crying just thinking about it.

• Fandango March 23, 2022 / 6:52 pm

The hurt doesn’t go away easily or quickly.

6. pensitivity101 March 23, 2022 / 4:17 am

I know exactly where you’re coming from Fandango. We put ourselves through the same mill with Maggie around the same time as you. It still hurts, always will, despite us telling ourselves we did what we thought was right and were aware of a lot more going on. She didn’t deserve more pain and suffering, but we still wonder if we called it too early.

• Melanie B Cee March 23, 2022 / 7:59 am

I remember when Maggie passed away. You wrote some accounts of how ill she was getting, and how much pain she seemed to be in; and in my estimation? You were right on time. I know it’s never easy to make the call, and that one may second guess themselves for a long time too though. Hugs.

• Fandango March 23, 2022 / 10:27 pm

I wish our pets could look at us and let us know that it’s time and that we’re doing the right thing, but we can only make our best guess.

7. leigha66 April 22, 2022 / 11:42 am

It is the hardest decision I too have had to make.

8. Dr. Digital Philosophy April 26, 2022 / 5:21 am

Aren’t animals the best!
    My dog Knecko gets really concerned when I get sick or don’t feel well. She knows something is off with me and it breaks my heart to see her empathy. I had so much to learn from her and didn’t even know it at first.
    Thank you for sharing this great article 👍 👏 😀