A Pompous Dick

“I had to look up paresthesia,” Sheila said. “Why didn’t you just say ‘pins and needles’ instead using a word that requires a dictionary?”

“I thought everyone knew that word,” Dick said. “I guess you missed class that day.”

“Oh ha ha,” Sheila said. “You think you’re quite the wit, but all you like to do is stir things up.”

“You need to lighten up, Sheila,” Dick said. “You’ve lost what little sense of humor you had, it seems.”

“And you, Dick,” Sheila said, “need to heighten your awareness that not everyone is a pompous dick like you.”

Written for these daily prompts: Ragtag Daily Prompt (look up), Word of the Day Challenge (paresthesia), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (missed), The Daily Spur (stir), My Vivid Blog (light), and E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (heighten).

18 thoughts on “A Pompous Dick

1. Gr8BigFun March 22, 2022 / 8:45 pm

Hahaha, love it. You know there’s one in every crowd and if your not sure who it is, you might want to find a mirror! 😉

2. drkottaway March 22, 2022 / 8:57 pm

Some people have burning, which sounds awful and then there are sort of crawly sensations, like insects! Pins and needles aren’t fun either! The two times I had systemic strep A, all of my muscles burned like strep throat, but it was muscles, not skin. Also not fun.

• Marleen March 22, 2022 / 9:08 pm

😱 Other than a systemic infection, like strep (as you said), what causes it?

• drkottaway March 22, 2022 / 9:34 pm

Yeah, don’t forget heavy metal poisoning (apparently vaping can do this because the vapers get too hot) and side effects of chemotherapy or HIV drugs. My sister had neuropathy from her chemotherapy. She saw me watching her climb out of the boat one summer and said, “Yeah, my balance was affected because I can’t feel the ground as well.” Sucked.

• Marleen March 23, 2022 / 6:37 am

One time (the only time I’ve used/shared a hooka), the area around my mouth got tingly and numbish after hanging out at such a “bar” (no alcohol).

• Marleen March 23, 2022 / 1:11 pm

I hope your sister is well, now. The spouse of one of my cousins chose in the affirmative for extra chemo, which was optional at the end of the course, without a full understanding of the side effects. Besides the neuropathy she’d already had in her hands and so forth, her cognitive ability really took a dive.

• drkottaway March 23, 2022 / 11:12 pm

No, my sister died in 2012. I am sorry about your cousin’s spouse.

• Marleen March 27, 2022 / 3:44 pm

I’m sorry about your sister, too. My cousin’s spouse did die as well. She was [and is as life wouldn’t have been the same without her] a major plus in our family. I miss her terribly.

• drkottaway March 22, 2022 / 9:45 pm

So you can see that it isn’t necessarily easy to figure out. We do labs first, check thyroid and B12, ask about alcohol, ask if cancer screening is up to date, try to figure out if it is peripheral and one nerve or bilateral and lots of nerves and go on from there.

3. Nope, Not Pam March 23, 2022 / 2:55 am

I didn’t know that was the word for pins and needles either, so therefore he is a pompous dick 😝

4. rugby843 March 23, 2022 / 11:33 am

I tried several times to get my phone to write that word and finally gave up😂

Sent from my iPhone