Before and After

On Thursday my wife and I adopted a rescue dog, which I may have mentioned to you here. Thursday night, the dog’s first night in a strange house — not that there’s anything particularly strange about our house, but for her, having been at the animal rescue center for nearly a month, it was strange for her — and it didn’t go well. My wife and I hardly got any sleep. But by the next night, our new addition was apparently feeling more comfortable at her new venue and the three of us got a good night’s sleep.

And so far, we are adjusting well to our dog and she is adjusting well to us. So it’s all good. Well, except for the cost of dog food, dog treats, dog toys, dog bones (for chewing), dog beds, etc. I’d forgotten how quickly those costs can add up.

But the point of this post is to share some great news with you all. I have gotten up off my lazy ass and am racking up some heavy numbers. What am I talking about? Let me explain.

I have an app on my iPhone that automatically keeps track of my daily steps. I took a look at a bar chart that the app generates showing my steps each day. And it’s pretty clear that getting a dog is having an impact.

Look at the difference in daily steps in the three days immediately preceding the day we brought the dog home and the days since.

Woo hoo, I’m gonna be in fighting shape again before you know it.

27 thoughts on “Before and After

1. Sadje March 14, 2022 / 7:30 am

This exact same thing I’d happening with Di too.

2. Alice DeForest March 14, 2022 / 7:40 am

Keep up the pace, it’s a win-win. The dog has a new home and you’re getting a work out

3. Lauren March 14, 2022 / 7:41 am

Dogs give us both emotional and physical support. Good job.

4. rugby843 March 14, 2022 / 10:21 am

One of the many perks of having an animal friend

Sent from my iPhone

5. Nope, Not Pam March 14, 2022 / 12:06 pm

I used to love taking our dogs out. You see a different side of the world when venturing out. 😄

6. pensitivity101 March 14, 2022 / 1:03 pm

Cheaper than joining a gym Fandango.
    What’s your BP like? Mine has come down as has the weight.
    We haven’t had a full night’s sleep since Maya arrived, but it’s early days and I’d rather get up to her than have a mess in the house. She sleeps in the bedroom and is no trouble. We then migrate to the lounge and crash out on the settees with a blanket, but she will settle and sleep for about another four hours, so we’re getting our sleep in relay. She’s doing really well for a young pup.

• Fandango March 14, 2022 / 1:18 pm

My BP has always been pretty good (80/120 range). After first night Kali quietly slept through the night, so that’s all good.

• pensitivity101 March 14, 2022 / 1:49 pm

She’s settled in beautifully then so must feel secure. We know it’s going to be a while before Maya goes through the night. At least we can catch up with our sleep n the afternoons when she naps!

7. writerravenclaw March 14, 2022 / 1:07 pm

I love having a dog, he gives me a reason to go out, even when I don’t want to. They are brilliant to have as pets. Hard work, but they are brilliant.

8. bushboy March 14, 2022 / 2:28 pm

Many years ago my then wife wanted to get a dog as the kids were little and it would be good for them. I wasn’t sure. She said it was free……….then the costs came tumbling after.

• Fandango March 14, 2022 / 3:12 pm

Oh the costs, the certainly do come tumbling in, forcing upon us some financial somersaults.

9. annieasksyou March 14, 2022 / 7:36 pm

And that’s no shaggy dog story! Enjoy!

I must try harder to persuade my spouse, who doesn’t believe I’ll get up, feed and walk the dog, and go back to sleep.

Looking forward to vicariously happy visits with your real dog.

• Fandango March 14, 2022 / 10:04 pm

It does take some effort, but the reward of unconditional love makes it all worth it.

10. KL Caley March 14, 2022 / 7:52 pm

Aww great stuff. Enjoy your new walking adventures together. 🐕 KL ❤

11. Goin' the extra...aaamile March 15, 2022 / 1:15 am

Wow! A doggo addition to the family is pretty awesome! Congratulations and to many more precious memories.
    I guess safe to say, more doggo posts now. We’d love a picture do, and a whole dedicated post 🙂
    Looking forward

12. leigha66 April 9, 2022 / 5:01 pm

Excuse me, can I get one TRAINED dog to take on walks a few times a week? I don’t have the physical energy to do so multiple times a day but if only… Enjoy those walks!