Share Your World — 03/07/3022

It’s time for this week’s edition of Melanie’s Share Your World prompt.

What’s the strangest thing in your refrigerator?

Perhaps it’s that chunk of slightly moldy parmesan cheese that I have to remember to put in the compost bin tonight.

Would you rather hear the music of Johann Sebastian Bach played by a barbershop quartet, or a heavy metal band?

If I were inclined to listen to the music of Johann Sebastian Bach at all, it would be by a symphony orchestra or not at all.

If you could erase one event from history, which one would you erase?

The election of Donald Trump to POTUS in 2016.

If your food is bad at a restaurant, do you say something?

Of course. Why wouldn’t I?

On one side of the earth we’re facing upcoming Spring, and on the other Autumn. What positive or uplifting thought do these changes bring to you?

To me, spring is like a rebirth. And if there is one thing we all need, it’s a rebirth, even if it’s just in the metaphorical sense.

20 thoughts on “Share Your World — 03/07/3022

1. Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2022 / 1:51 pm

Actually, back in the 1960s there was a “skat” singing group that did Bach with a beat — All vocal, no instruments. I’m trying to remember the name of the group. Ah, it actually just came to me: the Swingle Singers. They only did Bach, too, and they were really very good.

Ah, from Google:

About — The Swingles are a vocal group formed in 1974 in England by Ward Swingle. The group replaced Swingle’s earlier “Swingle Singers”, formed in 1962 in Paris, France, with Anne Germain, Claude Germain, Jeanette Baucomont, Christiane Legrand, Claudine Meunier, Jean-Claude Briodin, and Jean Cussac.

Apparently they are still around. In England, previously France. Who knew?

2. Nope, Not Pam March 8, 2022 / 2:20 am

Autumn is the time to discard the old.

3. Melanie B Cee March 8, 2022 / 7:17 am

Thank you Fandango for Sharing Your World! Moldy cheese? That reminds ME that I need to toss that Monterey Jack that’s over-stayed its welcome, and clean out the ‘deli’ bin in my fridge! Hey thanks for the reminder!😁 I loved your choice of “event’ to erase, and won’t go down the whole ‘would it be worse though” rabbit hole. I’m glad to hear that someone else isn’t shy about speaking up about bad food in a restaurant. Most folks are intimidated by stories of cooks/chefs spitting in the food and other unhygienic actions to complainers. 🤢 There are a few ‘purists’ who say Bach ought only be played by an orchestra (and I’m one). Jim shared a beautiful example. Marilyn did raise an interesting point though. I hope you have a really splendid week and don’t forget to toss the cheese! 😉

• Marilyn Armstrong March 9, 2022 / 1:23 pm

A great deal of Bach wasn’t written for orchestra. It was written for harpsichord and other single player instruments and frequently, for very small groups of performers. String quartets or trios and often, just for guitar or mandolin.

Bach was the composer I played best. So not necessarily an orchestra. Most of it was never intended for orchestra. Just because it’s “classical” (actually, Bach is NOT classical, it’s Baroque — Mozart and Beethoven are Classical and after that, it’s romantic — again NOT classical). It isn’t all one thing.

All music pre rock and roll is not classical. It was — for those people back then — just like R&R is to us. It was THEIR version of pop music. They had riots if the concert goers didn’t like it and everything. Just like today.

I don’t know if they smoked dope in the audience, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they showed up drunk. Booze never goes out of style.

• Marleen March 9, 2022 / 6:51 pm

It would be wonderful to be able to play Bach on piano! I had a seventh-grade teacher and music appreciation teacher (and principal for the k-8 school and organist for his [Lutheran] church [ I wasn’t Lutheran ] and for our chapel [yes I did learn their catechism in eight grade] on Fridays before he retired prior to my eight-grade year) who played Bach on organ. So… good memories. I like the Well-Tempered Clavier you shared (and remember but didn’t remember their name); I like harpsichord; I’d probably be fine with a barber shop quartet. I’ve enjoyed a young men’s group called Chanticleer.

• Marleen March 9, 2022 / 7:00 pm

Check this out for April fifth, anyone around there:

Called “the world’s reigning male chorus” by The New Yorker, the San Francisco-based GRAMMY Award-winning ensemble Chanticleer was founded in 1978 by Louis Botto and named for the clear-singing rooster in Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales. The group performs about 100 concerts each year in the U.S. and abroad.

4. leigha66 March 27, 2022 / 2:55 pm

Good answers. I did once have to say something about my daughters food… she had ordered strawberry crepes and had a part of a tomato slice in with the strawberries. The right color but not a good mix.