E.M.’ Sunday Ramble Prompt — Digging Deep

It’s time once again for E.M. Kingston’s The Sunday Ramble. Her prompt is based upon a certain topic about which she asks five questions. We are invited to ramble on about that topic however we wish. Today’s topic is “Let’s Dig A Bit Deeper.”

When there is so much negativity in the world, as there has been as of late, what do you do to cleanse your soul away from all of the negative stigma?

I stop watching, reading, or listening to as much of the “breaking news” as I used to and try to focus on other things, like writing flash fiction posts for my blog or going for long rides on my ebike.

Do you think it is possible to break the divide in humanity with the war happening in Ukraine? (Meaning: Do you think the war will bring the people in the world back together in unity?) It’s kind of a double-ended question.

No and no. The world is so fractured as it is and I just read an article in this morning’s paper (so yeah, I confess, I can’t go cold turkey when it comes to reading the newspaper) about how Russia is flooding social media sites in the U.S. and Europe with bogus claims about its invasion of Ukraine. And, sadly, people are buying into the lies. Social media has become the main source of information for many people, which makes it fertile ground for bad actors seeking to spread misinformation and to sow discord.

I know we are all from different places and countries, but we are all human. What are three things that need to change for you to feel safe in the current state of humanity?

1. Embrace our differences.

2. Accept that climate change is a global problem that needs to be proactively addressed before it’s to late.

3. Live by “Whatever floats your boat.”

For me, time has stood still since the attacks in the Ukraine. The news has been on in my room non-stop, and I try to watch it as much as possible. Have you been watching the news? If so, write the first thought that comes to mind. If you haven’t been watching the news (or do not watch it ever), how do you keep up with what is happening around the globe?

I still watch/read some news, but I’ve cut back significantly on the amount of news I watch because it’s just too depressing, frustrating, and angering. The first thing that comes to mind for me is that we’re all fucked.

Do you have someone to talk to when things get hard in your life? If not, would you like someone to talk to when things get hard? We all need someone, and I just want to make sure you are all okay or managing.

Yes. My wife.

29 thoughts on “E.M.’ Sunday Ramble Prompt — Digging Deep

1. Taswegian1957 March 6, 2022 / 9:06 pm

I think I’d agree with most of your answers. I’m dealing with it in a similar way by trying not to get too immersed in it and doing other things.

2. Marleen March 6, 2022 / 9:41 pm

MSNBC has started playing a weird background “music” I don’t “get” at all. I can’t take that even if I wanted to handle the monotony and stress of people being brutalized. At least, earlier, I was encouraged via a YouTube channel by the idea many Russian citizens aren’t on Putin’s side (or that of insanely rich oligarchical tyranny in their own country already even before the invasion of Ukraine, but more the case now, which means they have to stand and maybe fight for peace).

• Marleen March 7, 2022 / 12:30 pm

Maybe the noise was only for the weekend, or they were testing it (that different music or alarm sound). It’s not on there, now. I keep trying to dip into the news; I don’t only look at television news, though. Meanwhile, one of my cousins considers her family Ukrainian in ethnic background because of her husband (they’ve made a point of it with their daughters). Oh, for God’s sake… they started up the noise again in the afternoon.

• Fandango March 7, 2022 / 10:20 pm

I haven’t heard the noise, but I haven’t been watching MSNBC as much these days. And with Rachel on hiatus….

• Marleen March 7, 2022 / 10:46 pm

It’s probably a relief for her not to be directly covering what’s going on right now. I’ve forgotten what she said was the reason for her break. As you’ve seen, I look for news elsewhere all the time to find some variety of perspectives. There’s a fella who has been filling in a lot of time generally (and was already getting spots on MSNBC). I like him and think he does a good job. But I’ll likely be avoiding that channel, most of the time under current circumstances. It almost seems that they want to drive people away with that stress-inducing racket.

• Marleen March 22, 2022 / 11:40 am

You know what else is strange? MSNBC is in some kind of partnership with SkyNews of late. I had recently concluded SkyNews is some traditionally “right” outfit, and then there they are on msnbc?

March 22 – The rich and powerful queued up in 2020 …

The above isn’t a clip from msnbc. But if you look to see SkyNews on YouTube, I struggle (just a little) to see the kinship with msnbc.

• Marleen March 22, 2022 / 12:21 pm

How [some] Newsrooms Blame the Audience

• Marleen March 22, 2022 / 8:14 pm

I don’t know how I’m missing, here, the date this article was written. I found, elsewhere, that the same article is from two weeks ago.

…….

NBC News’ parent Comcast owns Sky, making the companies corporate cousins. Comcast acquired Sky and Sky News in 2018 after Rupert Murdoch’s Fox division attempted to gain full control of the company. [Fox] had been a minority but powerful stakeholder in Sky for years. … After a series of complex but unsuccessful attempts by Murdoch … Sky was put up for blind auction and Comcast emerged as the winner.

…….

• Fandango March 22, 2022 / 10:14 pm

Hmm. I’ve been watch less of MSNBC lately, especially with Rachel on hiatus, so I wasn’t aware of its link with SkyNews.

• Marleen March 23, 2022 / 2:08 pm

I suppose people who are into international soccer would already be aware of the following.

… due to NBCSN shutdown

January 3, 2022

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — Sky Sports News has been dropped from U.S. television following the shutdown of the NBC Sports Network.

SSN, the leading outlet of British and European soccer news on U.S. television, was broadcast on Fox Soccer Channel for many years, then was dropped when NBC took over U.S. broadcast rights to England’s Premier League from Fox. SSN returned on March 1, 2019. Premier League highlights are often broadcast on SSN, and Fox no longer had the rights to show those clips.

NBC started airing simulcasts for one or two hours on most weekdays at 11 a.m. Eastern time starting March 1, 2019, after Comcast, the parent company of NBCUniversal, took control of Sky.
              NBCUniversal shut down the NBC Sports Network on Saturday, shifting many Premier League broadcasts to the USA Network.

NBC Sports said Monday that SSN is not currently on its broadcast or streaming schedule.

• Fandango March 23, 2022 / 11:36 pm

I didn’t know that, but I’m not into international soccer.

• Marleen March 23, 2022 / 3:03 pm

…….

Comcast’s victory also means that almost two years of government scrutiny of whether Murdoch should be allowed to take control of Sky were ultimately for nothing – although the lengthy process did give Comcast enough time to move in and gazump the Fox bid.

“When we launched Sky in 1989 it was four channels produced from a prefab structure in an industrial park on the fringes of west London,” said 21st Century Fox in a statement announcing its decision to sell their shares. “We bet – and almost lost – the farm on launching a business that many didn’t think was such a good idea. Today, Sky is Europe’s leading entertainment company and a world-class example of a customer-driven enterprise.

…….

• Marleen March 7, 2022 / 3:51 pm

Sean Penn describes meeting Ukraine’s President · 2 days ago

• Marleen March 7, 2022 / 3:57 pm

Gravitas: Belarus leader’s blunder reveals Putin’s masterplan · 5 days ago

• Marleen March 8, 2022 / 8:02 am

Gravitas LIVE with Palki Sharma| Russia claims: Ukraine has taken Indians hostage| World News | WION · Streamed 4 days ago

I recommend starting in at 5:20 instead of at the beginning. And then there are other interesting subjects beyond the headline about Indian students.

(It helps me to feel a little better when I can find informative sources for something other than repetition and something beyond the likes of a party line.)

• Marleen March 12, 2022 / 7:37 am

I saw this resignation tentatively reported on Democracy Now (from a few days ago).

Look at the reason given as to why it supposedly did not happen.

I’ve included the whole article and added boldface.

>>>>>

Mar 2022 22:56

Belarusian Defense Ministry denies reports that General Staff chief resigned

MINSK.

March 6 (Interfax) – Belarusian Armed Forces General Staff Chief Viktor Gulevich has not tendered resignation, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said.

“Belarusian Armed Forces General Staff Chief Gen. Maj. Viktor Gulevich cannot tender his resignation with the Belarusian defense minister, because only the person who appointed him can dismiss him, it’s the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Belarus,” it said.

The units of the Belarusian Armed Forces are fully staffed, the ministry said. “And they’re already performing the objectives, only in their territory,” it said.

A number of websites earlier published photographs of a letter tendering resignation allegedly signed by Gulevich. The letter was addressed to Belarusian Defense Minister Viktor Khrenin.

• Marleen March 12, 2022 / 8:02 am

11:29 06.03.2022

Arestovych on possible resignation of Chief of General Staff of Belarus: I am checking this information

3 min read

Oleksiy Arestovych, Advisor to the Head of the President’s Office, has said that he was checking information about the alleged resignation of Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Belarus Viktor Gulevich.

………………….

• Marleen March 12, 2022 / 1:45 pm

🤨 This one isn’t supposed to be here. (Sorry.) I accidentally have an extra word tacked on to the end of the link — and that takes the person linking to a completely different article and timeframe than intended (the intended set of relevant context and subject matter can be seen via the correct link, below, in the post at 8:23 am.)

• Marleen March 19, 2022 / 11:22 am

This 1:45 pm (on the 12th of March) post was originally attached to a different post that has been, thankfully, removed {and is no longer confusedly accessible}. As one reading, now, can see… the 8:23 am post has flipped in space to being above rather than “below” the explication/s.

• Marleen March 12, 2022 / 3:05 am

The Real Reason U.S. and Allies Aren’t Sending Fighter Jets to Ukraine

• Marleen March 22, 2022 / 11:28 am

The United Nations is Warning Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine – World’s “Breadbasket” – could lead to “a hurricane of hunger and a meltdown of the global food system” that would be especially devastating for the Global South. ……..

3. emkingston March 6, 2022 / 11:27 pm

I am so glad that you answered these questions. I was hoping more people would be open to talking about it. I am one of those people who think to heal something that hurts that you have to talk about it or identify support systems. Thank you for getting deep in conversation with me on these topics!

I agree with everything you said as well. I have stopped watching as much because it’s seemed to be on replay of the same story over and over again on all the news outlets. I am so glad that you have someone to talk to about hard times!