Hear! Hear!

As you may know if you’re a regular reader of my blog, I am almost deaf in my left ear due to surgery to a remove a growth in its middle ear (between the ear drum and the inner ear) back at the end of 2019. Recently, the hearing in my right ear seems to be diminishing rapidly. So I decided to look into getting hearing aids.

The first place I went to conducted a hearing test. The chart (audiogram) above shows the results of that test. The vertical (Y) axis on the left shows the volume of the sounds in decibels, from softest at the top to loudest at the bottom. The average decibel level of human speech is estimated to be between 55 and 65 decibels.

The horizontal (X) axis on the bottom shows the sound frequencies, from lowest (deepest) on the left to highest on the right. A typical adult male ranges from 80 to 180 Hz and a typical adult female ranges from 165 to 255 Hz. The green shaded area at the top shows what is generally considered to be “normal” hearing.

The line with the red circles represents the hearing in my “good” right ear. It’s in the mild to moderate hearing loss at the lower frequencies to severe at the higher frequencies. The line with the blue boxes represents the hearing (or lack thereof) in my left ear. At the higher frequencies, my hearing in that ear shows severe to profound hearing loss. Profound!

This coming week I’ll be looking at some different brands of hearing aids. There are a few that are specifically designed for severe or even profound hearing loss. So, we’ll see how that goes. Who knows? Maybe by the end of this month I’ll be wearing hearing aids. And while that should enable me to hear better, having to don hearing aids make me feel old. But then again, I am old. So there’s that.

40 thoughts on “Hear! Hear!

1. Bridgette March 5, 2022 / 5:37 pm

I’m glad you’ll be able to hear! They have some remarkably small hearing aids now, and bonus, you can literally tune people out now when they bug you!

2. Sadje March 5, 2022 / 5:39 pm

Even younger people wear hearing aids. As long as it helps, I’m all for it.

3. Lauren March 5, 2022 / 5:47 pm

Hearing is very important. I hope you get some that work well for you.

4. bushboy March 5, 2022 / 5:52 pm

Hope you can find the right fit and ones that work for you 🙂

5. RuthScribbles March 5, 2022 / 6:10 pm

Oy! I’m glad you will wear them, regardless! My 44 year old son had to wear them. He has only 40% hearing and without surgery to investigate, they have no clue. All tests show normal. (except the heating part). very weird.

6. rugby843 March 5, 2022 / 6:35 pm

No problem. It will benefit you greatly and think of your grandchild and you don’t want to miss any of their words!👍🏻♥️

Sent from my iPhone

7. Taswegian1957 March 5, 2022 / 7:13 pm

Modern hearing aids are so much better and less unsightly than those of a generation ago. I am sure that they won’t make you look old, you’ll look the same but with hearing aids and as a bonus you will be able to enjoy all the things you are missing now.

8. msjadeli March 5, 2022 / 7:25 pm

Fandango to feel it is one thing and you know it is there is bad enough, but to see it on the chart so clearly how bad it is has to be a shock to your system. Thank goodness you have remedies to help with it. Best wishes on getting just the right remedy for yourself. One of my co-workers said he was able to get help in paying for them through the local Lions Club. Maybe you can get help from yours? The good ones are probably a little pricey.

• Fandango March 5, 2022 / 10:32 pm

Yeah, seeing that chart was pretty eye-opening. They are pricey, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

9. Geoff Stamper March 5, 2022 / 10:25 pm

My wife and I kept saying each new indignity was making us “feel old.” Finally we did realize we are old. I love your wording: “So there’s that.”😎

10. paeansunplugged March 5, 2022 / 11:14 pm

My aunt, who wears hearing aids ( very tiny and discreet), often pretends she couldn’t hear a thing when she doesn’t want to participate in a conversation!

11. Books & Bonsai March 6, 2022 / 2:18 am

Looking forward to reading your findings, as I am fast joining the club and have no clue!

12. annieasksyou March 6, 2022 / 7:33 am

“Aging is not for sissies” becomes more meaningful all the time. My spouse has worn hearing aids for years; the devices are, indeed, getting better and better. A good audiologist is most important, as there’s a lot of fine tuning involved—and it’s quite high tech now.

Good luck! I trust you know that the isolation brought about by uncorrected hearing loss has been associated with dementia. We sure wouldn’t want that for our blogging friend!

• Fandango March 6, 2022 / 11:25 am

No, I don’t want to be saddled with dementia either.

13. cagedunn March 6, 2022 / 2:46 pm

Keep in mind that it takes a while for your brain to adapt to the new sensations. Give it more than one or two goes, give it the time it takes to adjust and accept. For me, that was about 3 months, a few hours at a time first, then a bit more as I got used to the ‘differences’.

• cagedunn March 6, 2022 / 9:04 pm

Yep. How long did it take you to get used to an eBike? That’s a physical thing, and you’ve done it before, but retraining the brain takes a bit longer [think how long it takes to ‘educate’ us]. It’s something they don’t warn us about, and some people give up before the benefits are noticeable. For me, that was a while, being tone deaf in one ear and almost totally deaf in the other. Weird differences in my perception, to the point I got disoriented.

• Fandango March 6, 2022 / 10:02 pm

Thanks for the warning. It’s interesting that most hearing aid manufactures offer only 30-45 day trial periods.

14. Carol anne May 2, 2022 / 4:17 am

Oh, Fandango, I am sorry you have some hearing loss and will have to wear hearing aids, but, if they make life easier, well then, thats great. Xx