Melanie, at Sparks from a Combustible Mind, is now hosting the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Music Challenge and she’s thrown a 10-question music quiz at us. I’m no music expert, like Jim Adams, and since I promised myself that I wouldn’t Google the questions, about half of my answers will be guesses. Let’s get to it.
- The late great Jerry Garcia was vocalist with which band? If I got this wrong, Jim Adams would probably unfollow me. The answer is The Grateful Dead.
- Which musical instrument did Karen Carpenter play? I don’t know. Since she was a carpenter, maybe a musical saw?
- Carl Wilson, of which legendary band, died in 1998? I know! The Beach Boys.
- The Rose was a Bette Midler movie based on the life of which singer? Gypsy Rose Lee? Oh wait. She was a stripper not a singer.
- Which late great duetted with k.d. Lang on his hit ‘Crying’? I know this because I was a big fan of Roy Orbison.
- How is Mary O’Brien, who died in March 1999, better known? She was actor Hugh O’Brien’s wife.
- Whose life story was recreated in the biopic “Sweet Dreams”? Annie Lennox. She was with the Eurythmics and the duo’s song, “Sweet Dreams” was a huge hit. I’m right, right?
- Florence Ballard was a member of which group? This one I got for sure: The Supremes.
- Whose farewell note in 1995 read, “It’s better to burn out than fade away”? I dunno. George Harrison, maybe. When did he die, anyway?
- Which Marvin Gaye hit got into the top ten again after his murder? I think it had to be “What’s Going On?”
So, Melanie, how’d I do?