MLMM Music Challenge — 3/4/22

Melanie, at Sparks from a Combustible Mind, is now hosting the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Music Challenge and she’s thrown a 10-question music quiz at us. I’m no music expert, like Jim Adams, and since I promised myself that I wouldn’t Google the questions, about half of my answers will be guesses. Let’s get to it.

1. The late great Jerry Garcia was vocalist with which band? If I got this wrong, Jim Adams would probably unfollow me. The answer is The Grateful Dead.
  2. Which musical instrument did Karen Carpenter play? I don’t know. Since she was a carpenter, maybe a musical saw?
  3. Carl Wilson, of which legendary band, died in 1998? I know! The Beach Boys.
  4. The Rose was a Bette Midler movie based on the life of which singer? Gypsy Rose Lee? Oh wait. She was a stripper not a singer.
  5. Which late great duetted with k.d. Lang on his hit ‘Crying’? I know this because I was a big fan of Roy Orbison.
  6. How is Mary O’Brien, who died in March 1999, better known? She was actor Hugh O’Brien’s wife.
  7. Whose life story was recreated in the biopic “Sweet Dreams”? Annie Lennox. She was with the Eurythmics and the duo’s song, “Sweet Dreams” was a huge hit. I’m right, right?
  8. Florence Ballard was a member of which group? This one I got for sure: The Supremes.
  9. Whose farewell note in 1995 read, “It’s better to burn out than fade away”? I dunno. George Harrison, maybe. When did he die, anyway?
  10. Which Marvin Gaye hit got into the top ten again after his murder? I think it had to be “What’s Going On?”

So, Melanie, how’d I do?

27 thoughts on “MLMM Music Challenge — 3/4/22

1. Lauren March 4, 2022 / 5:11 pm

I only knew a couple , so your guesses are better than mine would have been.

2. newepicauthor March 4, 2022 / 6:18 pm

I think you did very well and the ones that you got wrong were quite funny.

• glyn40wilton March 5, 2022 / 7:19 am

I liked your wrong answers better than your right one’s 🙂

• Fandango March 5, 2022 / 10:13 am

That’s good, I guess. 😉

3. Marleen March 4, 2022 / 6:24 pm

I had to address this one:

This song was written during the time when Neil Young and Jeff Blackburn were in a band called The Ducks in 1977. Blackburn was credited as a co-writer of the song.

Neil Young mentions artists from the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s: Danny and the Juniors, Elvis Presley, The Sex Pistols and its lead singer Johnny Rotten…

Kurt Cobain’s suicide note contained a line from this song: “It’s better to burn out than to fade away” [April 1994].

A line “Rust never sleeps” in these lyrics was used as the album title. Neil Young borrowed the line from Mark Mothersbaugh, a member of the band Devo.

Neil Young Lyrics album: “Rust Never Sleeps” (1979) My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)

• Marleen March 4, 2022 / 6:51 pm

New International Version “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

New Living Translation “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust [or canker or gnawing] destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal.

English Standard Version “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,

Berean Study Bible Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

King James Bible Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

New King James Version “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;

New American Standard Bible “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

NASB 1977 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

Amplified Bible “Do not store up for yourselves [material] treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

Christian Standard Bible “Don’t store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.

American Standard Version Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal:

Aramaic Bible in Plain English Do not place treasures for yourselves on the earth, where moths and corrosion disfigure and where thieves break in and steal.

Contemporary English Version Don’t store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them.

• Marleen March 5, 2022 / 12:19 am

… holy water’s rusting me …

(pretty sure water from riches
          “isn’t” holy, that it’s not a thing)

4. donmatthewspoetry March 4, 2022 / 7:05 pm

Yes, Karen was indeed a carpenter. Well done. She played the C-saw. As distinct from the B-saw. Half right. .Remember for future quizzes…….

5. Nope, Not Pam March 5, 2022 / 1:34 am

Wow, you’re all so good, I think I knew one 🙁

6. Melanie B Cee March 7, 2022 / 8:56 am

You did GREAT, but only got 7.5 of them (I gave you a half point for Annie Lennox, because although the answer was wrong, the reasoning was 100% and I loved it). 🙂 Not too shabby and I see that Jim did not unfollow you! In fact, if you read HIS post, you’d learn that Mr. Garcia was a very busy fellow. I’m with you though – Jerry Garcia + Grateful Dead is the most widely known band… Here’s the link for the answers too:

MLMM FRIDAY MUSIC QUIZ ANSWERS 3-7-2022

Thanks so much for playing! Yay!

• Fandango March 7, 2022 / 10:06 pm

7.5 out of 10, huh? Is that a C- or a D+? It was a fun quiz, Melanie.

• Melanie B Cee March 8, 2022 / 8:22 am

Let’s call it a “B-“. No need to bring down the GPA! 😆

7. leigha66 March 25, 2022 / 5:31 pm

Good effort put forth for the ones you didn’t know… clever even!

Comments are closed.