TMP — What Did You Say?

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. My peeve today is about my hearing.

Actually, there is some good news mixed in with the bad news. The good news is that more than two years after losing my sense of taste as an unintended consequence of ear surgery, it seems to be starting to return. I am actually beginning to taste food again. Hooray!!

The bad news, and what my peeve is about, is my hearing. I lost the hearing in my left ear when a growth was removed from my middle ear at that surgery that caused me to lose my sense of taste. The growth in my middle ear had eaten the tiny bones that connect the ear drum to the inner ear, which is the mechanism that converts sound waves into actual sounds. So I’ve been deaf in my left ear for more than two years.

I bought a set of noise cancelling, Bluetooth headphones to use while my wife and I are watching TV together because, in order for me to hear the sound, the TV speaker volume was too loud for her. These headphones enabled me to hear the TV without blowing my wife out of the room and worked great over the past two years. But a few weeks ago, the sound coming from the right earpiece began to sound muffled to the point where the dialogue was so muddy-sounding that I couldn’t make out what was being said.

I thought the issue was with my headphones, so I contacted the manufacturer and they promptly sent me replacement headphones. And that was when my worst fear was realized. It wasn’t the headphones, it was my hearing. Fuck! It seems I’m losing the hearing in my right ear. Both spoken word and music sound muffled with or without headphones.

I decided to try other brands of headphones. I ordered a pair from Amazon, but had to return them because they were on-ear, and not over-the ear, and didn’t have noise cancelling capability, so when I watched TV, it felt like I was in an echo chamber, hearing the sound coming through my headphones, but a millisecond later, hearing the sound — at a lower volume — coming from the TV speakers. Ugh.

Then I decided to spend more money and I bought a pair of relatively expensive Beats headphones. Here’s my comment that I posted on Amazon:

These headphones are beautiful, comfortable, well-built, and I really wanted to love them. They paired perfectly with my iPhone, but when I tried to pair them with my Samsung 65” HDTV, the Samsung TV couldn’t find them. I tried multiple times and the Beats headphones didn’t show up on the list of Bluetooth devices on the TV. I spent an entire afternoon on the phone with Beats (Apple) support and with Samsung support, but neither support team was able to figure out how to pair the headphones to the TV. So, regrettably, I’m returning them.

I figured the third time might be a charm, so I ordered another brand of headphones, the Soundcore Q30 Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling headphones. Good news is that they easily paired with my TV. Better news is that it comes with an an iPhone app that has an equalizer functionality built in. This allows me to lower the base sounds and raise the treble sounds, making it so I can actually hear clear, crisp dialogue that is un-muffled out of my right ear. Yay!

But the trouble is that when I take off the headphones, I still can’t hear at all from my left ear and the hearing from my right ear is muddy, to the point that I’m constantly saying “What did you say?” or “Say again” to my wife. And she’s getting very annoyed about that. I may have to admit that it’s time to get some hearing aids.

Anyway, this is my Monday peeve. Sorry this post is so long.

33 thoughts on “TMP — What Did You Say?

1. Matt D February 28, 2022 / 3:51 pm

I’m overdue for hearing aids as I’ve slowly am becoming deaf again. When I was a kid, I had massive middle ear infection in both ears. They put tubes in my ear drums which at the time was a brand new procedure. Going from 80% deaf to being able to hear the air in the room being moved around was amazing.

Currently, I’m at about 50% deaf in both ears.

• donmatthewspoetry March 1, 2022 / 1:14 am

If your ear hearing balance is different how can you get a balanced sound through the headphones?….

• Fandango March 1, 2022 / 12:41 pm

I can’t. Most of what I hear is through my right ear.

• Fandango March 1, 2022 / 8:06 pm

It is, especially when I listen to songs like “Wooden Ships” by CSN. I can only hear half of the conversation.

• donmatthewspoetry March 2, 2022 / 12:43 am

Wonder if they can equalize aids? They should be able to. It’s all done electronically these days. Into the booth Don. Each ear tested. . Come out and each aid balanced from computer.

You lost cause Don. Just joking….

2. newepicauthor February 28, 2022 / 4:19 pm

I have had people tell me that I need a hearing aide also, but I usually respond by telling them that they need to learn how to talk better.

• Fandango February 28, 2022 / 4:46 pm

I like that. Maybe I’ll tell my wife to quit mumbling. I’m sure that will go over well.

3. Marleen February 28, 2022 / 5:24 pm

When you get hearing aids, let your wife know when you have them in and when you don’t. My peeve is that somone I know thinks the world revolves around him, such that if someone talking to him is too loud or too quiet it is all their fault and fair game for casting aspersions.

Indeed!

4. Sadje February 28, 2022 / 6:35 pm

That’s tough Fandango. Hearing aids may be the answer.

5. dharkanein February 28, 2022 / 6:42 pm

I am sorry that u have to seal with this problem. But on the other side ur story is giving me jitters. I mean I am feeling it for myself….oh God! Just keep me safe. And for you I pray to be normal again with your hearing aids.

6. Lauren February 28, 2022 / 7:12 pm

Great news about being able to taste. Not so great about needing the hearing aids.

7. rugby843 February 28, 2022 / 8:08 pm

If only those newest headphones you bought would cancel out the loud background drama music? Or what I call noise! in all the streaming shows. I have to turn up the entire sound to hear voices over that din.

Sent from my iPhone

8. parikhit February 28, 2022 / 9:50 pm

That’s a pain! Like everybody suggested hearing aids I guess

9. donmatthewspoetry March 1, 2022 / 1:45 am

Several years ago I was in a state of denial. I didn’t need aids. ‘Talk up’, ‘Say again’. People will only put up with this for so long. What helped change my mind was when I looked at other guys ears – rings, studs. So aids were just another ‘ear decoration’. Discovered there were birds outside. And keys make a jingle. It’s only when I ‘forget’ in required situations now that’s ‘annoying’……

10. Books & Bonsai March 1, 2022 / 2:12 am

I am going to have to sort out my hearing… before my partner divorces me. I watch tv but the sound is so muffled I can’t hear anything…

• Fandango March 1, 2022 / 1:12 pm

Yeah, that’s my problem, too. ☹️

11. Taswegian1957 March 1, 2022 / 6:15 am

It does sound as if hearing aids are going to be needed. Luckily modern ones are so much better than before and far less visually intrusive . It is great to hear that you are starting to taste food again. That must add to the pleasure of eating.

12. leigha66 March 20, 2022 / 5:39 pm

I hear hearing aid are better and smaller all the time. Hope you can find one that works for you. Great news though about your taste coming back!