Who Won The Week — 02/27/22

The idea behind Who Won the Week is to give you the opportunity to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

Quite honestly, I am struggling to find a winner of the week this week. Maybe it’s my frame of mind because I’m reading, watching, and hearing nothing but bad news. So my Who Won the Week winner is no one and nothing. Instead, I’m going on a rant. Buckle up.

Vladimir Putin is reportedly one of the world’s richest leaders, though there is no firm evidence of his actual wealth nor where he has it stashed. He is the leader of, geographically speaking, the largest country on the planet. And he is one of the most powerful men on the globe. Yet he seems bound and determined to acquire more personal wealth, more landmass by starting a war by invading Ukraine, and to gain even more power than he already has.

Former President Donald Trump, has described Putin’s invasion of Ukraine as “genius” and “savvy.” And then he insinuated that America’s leader’s are “dumb,” while praising Putin. And few Republicans have had the guts to criticize Trump for his praise of Putin.

For example, Republican Senator Tom Cotton repeatedly refused to condemn Donald Trump today. Cotton described Putin as a “ruthless dictator who wants to reassemble the greater Russian empire,” but when as George Stephanopoulos, host of the Sunday political news show, “This Week,” repeatedly asked Cotton if he would condemn Trump’s rhetoric about Putin and the invasion, Cotton refused to do so. Instead, his frivolous response was, “I don’t speak on behalf of other politicians, they can all speak for themselves.”

Meanwhile, Putin’s ill-conceived venture to smash the current democracy in Ukraine to smithereens continues almost unabated, except for the brave resistance of the Ukrainian citizens.

Do any of you have a selection for Who Won the Week this week?

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (rich), Ragtag Daily Prompt (war), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (insinuate), The Daily Spur (host), E.M.’s Random Word prompt (frivolous), Your Daily Word Prompt (venture), and My Vivid Blog (smithereens). Photo credit: Emilio Morenatti—AP Images

42 thoughts on “Who Won The Week — 02/27/22

1. XingfuMama February 27, 2022 / 1:00 pm

It was not a week of winners. But I thought that the Ukrainian president showed us what a winner should look like.

2. Mister Bump UK February 27, 2022 / 1:13 pm

I was so busy during the week I did not even attempt to find a story this weekend.

3. Myrna Migala February 27, 2022 / 1:14 pm

Not to start a war here on WordPress, but if Trump was President Putin would have never invaded Ukraine.

• Fandango February 27, 2022 / 1:52 pm

Why do you think that? Putin owned Trump, not vice versa.

• Myrna Migala February 27, 2022 / 1:56 pm

You listen to CNN and Hilary too much! Trump was not my ideal, I would never invite him to my house for dinner but I think he was a better leader, and my bet is you do too.

• Fandango February 27, 2022 / 2:17 pm

You’d lose that bet. I thought he was the worst president this country ever had. I think you’re watching too much Fox “News.”

• Marleen March 1, 2022 / 9:35 am

Amanpour and Company: Bill Browder [author of Red Notice] on Putin …

• Marleen March 2, 2022 / 12:55 am

FOX …Blames Greta Thunberg for Russia Invading Ukraine [plus more crazy lies]

• Marleen March 2, 2022 / 1:10 pm

Trump’s Love of Putin Splits Republican Voters

• Lolsy's Library February 28, 2022 / 3:35 am

Yes, he would have. Putin is Putin, Putin isn’t doing this because of America, or Biden, or Trump. He’s doing it because of NATO. Putin isn’t invading America, Putin is declaring war on the Ukraine. I highly doubt that Putin has any respect for Trump.

• Lolsy's Library February 28, 2022 / 3:45 am

For a start Trump admires Putin, he would have absolutely gone along with Putin declaring War on the Ukraine. This might shock your tiny little world, not EVERYTHING in the World is about America.

4. rugby843 February 27, 2022 / 1:54 pm

I can only think that the bravery of zUkraine citizens qualified

Sent from my iPhone

• amoralegria February 27, 2022 / 3:49 pm

I don’t know how Trump supporters who have decided to support Russia too are going to reconcile this horror with their supposed preference for Russia, including the Republicons in Congress who have done so in the past.

• rugby843 February 27, 2022 / 5:04 pm

Exactly- how far will they take their supposed beliefs?

5. JT Twissel February 27, 2022 / 2:15 pm

Evidently we have a former president who thinks violence is an acceptable way of getting what you want and he’s convinced others of that philosophy too.

6. amoralegria February 27, 2022 / 3:51 pm

Perhaps the courageous Ukrainians, including Pres. Zelensky, should be chosen for Who Won the Week. But I decided to focus on some good news.

• Paula Light February 27, 2022 / 5:50 pm

I’ll go with Zelensky for the winner! The guy is a true hero ⭐️✨

• Fandango February 27, 2022 / 10:04 pm

Good. I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the bad news.

7. emkingston February 27, 2022 / 10:59 pm

Reblogged this on The Ramblings of E.M. Kingston and commented:
    This is definitely worth a good read with all that is happening.
    Thank you, Fandango! I love that you are never scared to speak your truth.
    xoxo, E.M.

8. Nope, Not Pam February 28, 2022 / 1:53 am

I do think freezing the Swift codes so money can’t be transferred in or out of Russia was smart. It’s certain to annoy some of the business leaders in Russia who finance Putin.

9. Lolsy's Library February 28, 2022 / 3:50 am

I can tell you didn’t win the week, Putin apologists and American’s thinking the world is all about America, lol.

• Fandango February 28, 2022 / 2:03 pm

There used to be an expression we were taught in school, “American exceptionalism.” Too many Americans still believe that.

• Marleen February 28, 2022 / 2:25 pm

That’s interesting. I wasn’t taught that term or expression or belief in school. I did learn it, though, from conservatives… neocons, especially. The impression — what it can signify in the sense of our pride after WWII and so forth — is something I did feel however.

• Fandango February 28, 2022 / 2:27 pm

I learned it in conjunction with “Manifest Destiny.”

• Marleen February 28, 2022 / 3:17 pm

That makes sense. It also fits with the Monroe Doctrine. In terms of WWII, it’s kinda not a foundation for pride (I have learned relatively recently) in that the Nazis based what they did over there between Russia and the west on what America (not excluding the US specifically) had done to indigenous populations on the American continents.

• Marleen February 28, 2022 / 3:24 pm

Neoconservatives meant it as to our imperative to solve everything militarily wherever in the world our Republican president (with Democrats almost unanimous agreeing) would want to go; or based on made up “intelligence.”

• Marleen March 2, 2022 / 11:51 am

While Ms. Ketanji Brown Jackson is the winner in a traditional sense,
      the present leader of the Ukraine is outstanding.

Zelensky Unites International Community Against Putin

• Marleen March 6, 2022 / 4:50 am

There’s More To This [“support for protest” and real action] 1.1M views · 1 day ago

10. Marleen February 28, 2022 / 4:51 pm

Putin, apparently, thinks Russia is so exceptional the world doesn’t need to exist if his vision of “Russia” doesn’t.

• Fandango February 28, 2022 / 5:04 pm

He’s yet another megalomaniac.

• Marleen February 28, 2022 / 5:12 pm