Fandango’s Provocative Question #157

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

Shit happens. No matter how hard we try, we can’t stop certain things from happening. We can’t always control what is going on around us and, therefore, we can’t totally control what is happening in our lives. In fact, there is a growing body of research in neuroscience suggesting that we aren’t really in charge of our lives, at least to the degree we think we are.

Yet one of our basic human needs is a sense of control, to know that we have a choice, that our actions make a difference.

Given the matter how much control we have over our own lives, my provocative question this week is…

Looking at your own situation, how much of your life is formed by things that are outside of your control versus things that are within your control? Please elaborate to the extent you feel comfortable.

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

23 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #157

• Fandango February 16, 2022 / 10:08 am

That’s the idea. 😉

1. Nope, Not Pam February 16, 2022 / 11:20 am

I think the impression of control is relative. I feel I’m in control of most things, but I have to go to work to pay the bills, I have to take my medicine and stick to my diet to stay alive, I have to rest to stay sane. I could chose not to do all of these things, and exercise control, but reason dictates that isn’t an option

• Fandango February 16, 2022 / 12:43 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do to stay alive.

2. RuthScribbles February 16, 2022 / 1:02 pm

Deep questions. My response to things that happen are in my control.

3. Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2022 / 2:43 pm

Good one! As it happens, I’ve written about this a lot — including a whole book. Tomorrow right after midnight.

4. cagedunn February 17, 2022 / 2:00 am

I’d like to second this: control is an illusion … just so we can feel within our abilities. Or decisions. Or whatever it is that gives our life boundaries that aren’t so wide we feel at sea and lost in all that space

• Fandango February 18, 2022 / 5:26 pm

I’m having trouble leaving a comment on your post, Sadje, but I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful, well articulated response.

Comments are closed.