Fandango’s Flashback Friday — February 4th

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 4th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on February 4, 2007 on my old blog.

Signs of the Times

I recently read an article in USA Today by Tom Krattenmaker, who covered a topic that has previously been discussed with much passion on my part in this blog. It seems that in the spirit of fair play and equal time, the National Park Service sells a book at the Grand Canyon Visitors Center titled “Grand Canyon: A Different View.”

This book tells the history of the formation of the Grand Canyon from the creationist perspective. Rather than being six million years old, as the mainstream scientific community maintains, the creationist book asserts that the Grand Canyon is only 4,500 years old. Its formation, the book proclaims, was not the result of gradual geological processes, but of Noah’s flood.

In another effort to establish creationism as science, the Creation Museum is soon to be opening in Florence, KY. Krattenmaker wrote that the Creation Museum will be displaying a collection of dinosaur models, fossils, minerals, and other material to “demonstrate that the Scriptural accounts of the Creation, Noah’s flood, and other major events of biblical history can be trusted.” One display is supposed to feature two animatronic children near a pool of water with two small dinosaurs lurking behind. I’d call that bad science.

I just don’t get it. Why can’t science and religion coexist peacefully? As Krattenmaker suggested, “Let science be science and let religion prevail in the vast areas where science has little or nothing to offer,” such as the purpose and meaning of life, the existence of good and evil, love and hate, and the nature of the human soul.

I contend that, as rational, intelligent human beings, we should to look to the scientific community to answers questions such as the age of the Grand Canyon or the evolution of the species. Science should reign on matters of empirical evidence and rational inquiry. When it comes to the really hard questions, such as the meaning of life, it’s there that religious and philosophical study should prevail. After all, isn’t that so much more important than the age of the Grand Canyon?

21 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — February 4th

1. Mister Bump UK February 4, 2022 / 3:46 am

I think science and religion are in direct competition.

It you think about it, we once had no clue about day and night.God drawing the curtains. Yet by observation, science gave up the laws of planetary motion, the sun, moon, stars etc. And we know exactly why we have day and night. It’s such a no-brainer that we take the knowledge for granted. B ut a thousand years ago, it wasn’t known.

So that’s one area where science has encroached into “God did it”.

I think where we fall down, as humans, is when we think that science knows everything. Because there’s a lot science doesn’t know – yet. But, that’s not to say that “God did it”.

Incidentally, to calculate the meaning of life, you’d have various things competing with each other, and you’d have to give each of them a relative importance, so you could calculate which is the most important. I’d suggest that the “relative” aspect is different from person to person, so science will never know that. Neither will a religion, by the way.

• Fandango February 4, 2022 / 11:31 am

I think science and religion each has its place, although I am not at all religious. My issue with religion is that, especially when “science” does, in fact, know the answer, some religions reject that knowledge and try to replace it with supernatural mythologies. And that’s fine if that’s what the choose to believe. But then they try to legislate those beliefs into law and push science aside. Those mythical, supernatural beliefs can be promoted in churches and Sunday schools but have no place as part of the science curriculum in public school education.

2. Stine Writing February 4, 2022 / 8:33 am

The reason they can’t coexist is because there always has to be someone who starts trouble! Lol!

3. Marilyn Armstrong February 4, 2022 / 9:04 am

it IIS the insertion of “dogma” into things where religion has nothing to offer that bothers me. I know scientists who are believers and scientists who are not. For that matter, artists who are and are not. Belief doesn’t have anything to do with ones profession — unless you’re a priest, minister, or rabbi — and even then, it’s seems to be less about religion and more about making sure there enough funds to keep the facility functioning.

4. Marilyn Armstrong February 4, 2022 / 9:06 am

it IS the use of “dogma” in areas where religion has nothing to offer that bothers me. I know scientists who are believers and scientists who are not. Unless your are in the God business, profession and religion have nothing to do with each other. But there’s nothing more to be said about this. We’re just preaching to the choir and those who should be listening absolutely are NOT.

• Fandango February 4, 2022 / 11:49 am

I totally agree. But the worst thing is when people insist upon making laws based upon their own religious or moral believes and try to turn our democracy into a theocracy.

5. Marilyn Armstrong February 4, 2022 / 9:08 am

First they said I couldn’t post. Then they said it was a double post. Then they showed a post that didn’t have any of my edits. Gotta love WordPress.

6. lssattitudeofgratitude February 4, 2022 / 10:04 am

I was teaching evolution once snd I had a student that said donosaurs never existed. His parents taught him that G-d put the bones on earth so scientists could discover them, but that they were never living creatures. Oy Vey

7. revivedwriter February 4, 2022 / 12:06 pm

I don’t think science and religion are in competition. They generally answer different questions, as you point out at the end of your post.

8. leigha66 February 11, 2022 / 1:28 pm

I had never heard it was the big flood that had created the Grand Canyon… I vote for MANY more years of wear and tear carving it out.

Comments are closed.