E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — Music

It’s time once again for E.M. Kingston’s The Sunday Ramble. Her prompt is based upon a certain topic about which she asks five questions. We are invited to ramble on about that topic however we wish. Today’s topic is music.

1. What is your favorite genre of music?

Classic Rock from the 60s and 70s (with a smattering of songs from the 80s).

2. What is your least favorite genre of music?

Country & Western.

3. What movie has a very memorable soundtrack?

Dirty Dancing.

4. What are three songs that gets you excited?

Songs that get me excited? Well that can be interpreted in a number of ways, but I’m going to stick with a family-friendly G-rating and go with some of my all-time favorites.

• Hotel California by The Eagles
  • Suite Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby Stills & Nash
  • Scenes From an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel
  • The entire Abbey Road album by The Beatles

5. What was the last song that you listened to?

I’m listening to Pink Floyd’s “Have a Cigar” as I write this.

21 thoughts on “E.M.’s Sunday Ramble Prompt — Music

1. Mister Bump UK January 30, 2022 / 9:24 am

Yeah. Anything by Barry White usually helped in the “excitement” stakes.

2. Paula Light January 30, 2022 / 9:39 am

Love all your song choices, especially the DD soundtrack! And Hotel California, of course…

• Fandango January 30, 2022 / 10:10 am

Seems we have a similar taste in music, Paula.

3. newepicauthor January 30, 2022 / 10:20 am

Dirty Dancing had some great music and the acting was really good. Nice selections Fandango.

• Fandango January 30, 2022 / 10:47 am

Thanks, Jim. Classic movie with a classic soundtrack.

4. Marleen January 31, 2022 / 1:56 pm

“Have a Cigar” is a great song. That (progressive and progressive-influenced) is the main direction (into current music as well as the past) I’ve gone with music (while I like a wide variety, too, mostly excluding “country” per se — although I can enjoy folk or folk-adjacent such as America [or the Eagles] and western [from KD LANG to bluegrass while I don’t know any names in bluegrass and don’t put that on myself]) and an occasional country song. I won’t try to come up with a name for a least favorite category.

• Marleen January 31, 2022 / 2:00 pm

Correction:

… myself] and an occasional country song). …

• Marleen February 2, 2022 / 10:26 am

I’m not sure many people remember these songs AS a soundtrack, but it’s a hood one. And the writer of the score is also a progressive musician. I’ve found that not everyone even knows of the movie. My kids liked it, and remember the music.

I have a favorite story to go with it. The coach for one of the football teams that one of my sons was on (his first, actually, in third grade) took the boys to see this movie (we’d already seen it but it’s worth seeing over and over). Sometime soon later, the coach asked the kids the moral or lesson of the story: a little boy piped up and said to look both ways. Yes, exactly.

• Marleen February 2, 2022 / 10:28 am

… a good one. …..

• Fandango February 2, 2022 / 11:12 am

I remember that movie and it was a good one. But yes, I didn’t recall it as having such a good soundtrack.

5. emkingston February 1, 2022 / 12:26 am

Great music, Fandango! I agree with your soundtrack! I remember when the movie first came out. That’s when you actually had to record music on a cassette if you wanted to play it again, and I recorded the whole movie on cassettes purely for the soundtrack *laughs* I had no business watching it at that age, but I loved Patrick Swayze 😀 Hotel California, classic! I love that song, and Those Shoes by The Eagles too 🙂 I am with you on country…it’s definitely not my favorite.

• Marleen February 17, 2022 / 3:35 pm

Super Bowl Halftime Show Was WAY Too Much for Charlie Kirk

• Marleen February 17, 2022 / 5:28 pm

There’s a reference in here to the DD movie.

• emkingston February 17, 2022 / 11:32 pm

Thanks for sharing that with me, Marleen! I definitely am going to have to go do a little bit of research on Charlie Kirk. It sounds like he’s a racial pig that wants attention though.

6. leigha66 February 4, 2022 / 6:58 pm

I’m not sure… the soundtrack from The Big Chill was pretty awesome too. Good answers Fandango!

Comments are closed.