Fandango’s Flashback Friday — January 28th

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 28th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on January 28, 2018.

Garbage

03414089-68FC-4752-8725-2A9A859F32D6

There’s been a litter problem of late at San Francisco’s Ocean Beach. Some people are leaving their trash on the sand when they leave that beautiful beach.

It’s annoying and it’s disappointing that there are people who just don’t care enough to gather up their litter and put it in the trash cans that are located about every 40 feet on the sidewalk just off the beach.

Apparently some geniuses at the National Park Service came up with what they thought to be a foolproof plan to reduce the amount of litter left at Ocean Beach.

The idea is that having fewer trash cans will encourage beach visitors to be more responsible and to “properly dispose of their garbage” by taking it home with them when they leave the beach and disposing of it there.

And so, in a seemingly counterintuitive move, the National Park Service has removed most of the trash cans along Ocean Beach.

“People will start to take personal responsibility for the beach that they use,” according to a public affairs specialist for the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

Do these geniuses at the National Park Service have any inkling into human behavior? Have they ever met any actual people?

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “inkling.”

24 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — January 28th

1. Gr8BigFun January 28, 2022 / 5:00 am

I have held this WordPress account since 2012 but never really did anything with it until the middle of last year. Now I write mostly fiction for fun and as a creative outlet. Early on I would use this account in fits and spurts to rant about corporate collusion or wax philosophically about aging. Really whatever caught my attention in the moment. The posts were few and far between but I found a piece I wrote about the passing of Charles Manson on November 26th, 2017. There is not a lot of meat on the bones of those early days and so it seemed close enough to the 28th of anything to repost for Fandango’s Flashback Friday. If you are so inclined to see my headspace from those days check out the link to that post below.

Have a great day.

2. Irene January 28, 2022 / 5:51 am

Thank you for hosting, Fandango. Have they changed the garbage policies at Ocean Beach? I wonder if, with the pandemic and all, there have been fewer people around.

This is my post from last year, timely because tamales are served in many Mexican households, in general, but in particular on February 2 (for Candlemas, not Groundhog Day, hehe). To read the whole story and recipe, please follow the link:

Assorted Savoury Tamales – Tamales de Sabores

Have a great weekend!

• Fandango January 28, 2022 / 9:50 am

I think they finally came to their senses and returned trash bins to Ocean Beach. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have read about tamales.

3. annieasksyou January 28, 2022 / 7:24 am

Alas, if people can’t even take their own detritus when they leave the beach, what does that tell us about individual responsibilities to combat the climate change that’s increasingly obvious in our weather “weirdings”? ( I’m posting about these weirdings tomorrow.)

Here’s my wordplay, quasi-poetic description of experiencing last year’s inauguration despite technical difficulties. I was too optimistic, but I did include in my last line a hyphenation that echoes DOJ charges.

MY INAUGU-AURAL EXPERIENCE

4. Marleen January 28, 2022 / 6:42 pm

Today is my (“late”) dad’s birthday. He didn’t live near a beach, but I am reminded that he took recycling items (and trash) to a place for that at a city park. He sorted out garbage to compost in his roomy yard. He could take stuff from the yard to drop off, as well, like fallen limbs.

We’ve visited many beaches, though. There were always trash bins to use as one returns to the car. It would be gross to have garbage in the car. I wouldn’t leave trash on a beach any more than elsewhere not designated. I’ve never understood people who leave trash around.

5. Laura Bloomsbury January 29, 2022 / 8:50 am

spot on – a lot of people need more than a nudge to do the sensible thing

what a great idea – digging back in the archive, I’ve been dusting off some words from 2017

January 28th 2017

• Fandango January 29, 2022 / 9:41 am

I’m pleased you are participating in this flashback prompt.

Comments are closed.