Fandango’s Provocative Question #152

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I remember when I was still working, one of the most frequent questions I would be asked by people I met was, “What do you do for a living?” They wanted to know what my job was, how I earned my money in order to feed, clothe, and shelter myself and my family. I’m not sure if the question was a way for the questioner to assess my social status or what, but I thought it would be rude to say, “That’s none of your damn business.” So if I knew I was unlikely to ever again see the person who asked, I would often make up an unusual answer just to watch his or her reaction.

Anyway, my provocative question for you this week is this:

What do you do for a living? If you are retired, what did you do before you retired? If you’re currently unemployed, what did you do before becoming unemployed?

And since I have no way to verify, you may, like I used to do, make up an answer.

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

36 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #152

• Fandango January 12, 2022 / 9:16 am

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you have a wonderful, fulfilling, and rewarding life. Good for you!

1. Marleen January 12, 2022 / 8:11 am

The last time someone asked me what I do, which was not more than two months ago (less than two to be more precise), I said that “lately, I try to keep my mom from destroying her life.” (And that’s not for a living, but is for not a dying.)

I’m pretty sure he was not thrilled with my factually-accurate answer. I know where he wanted to go, though, was to share how he makes a living. So, when he said what that was, I got to tell him I have an uncle who used to be one of those.

2. pensitivity101 January 12, 2022 / 9:33 am

Hi Fandango. My working life all revolved around numbers, be it in the bank, the accounts dept of a building company, credit control of a book company plus sales and purchase ledger of the last two.
    My best job was as a financial analyst for the American Bank which I absolutely loved until I was made redundant with the rest of the department in 2001.
    After retirement, I did a few weeks as a kennel maid (loved the little fur balls!) and also worked in a museum.

3. aguycalledbloke January 12, 2022 / 12:23 pm

Currently working for the next big project, before that l did different things and loved every moment too 🙂

4. rugby843 January 12, 2022 / 12:53 pm

I always hated this question because I was a stay at home mom most of the time until my youngest daughter was in school and then I worked at the school. People then used to look down on stay at home moms as if we were lazy or we didn’t have the brains to work outside the home and apparently they don’t know that being an at home mom is the hardest job anyone can do.

Sent from my iPhone

• Fandango January 12, 2022 / 3:20 pm

My wife was a stay at home mom and I wouldn’t have switched jobs with her for all the money in the world.

• Marleen January 12, 2022 / 3:41 pm

My mom, who I referenced (below by mistake), has been tricking me into helping her financially (when there is no need for her to mooch off of anybody because she has Social Security and a pension… aside from savings, etcetera, from my dad as well). But, somehow, she’s superior. [I wouldn’t use the word mooch if she had been a traditional mother and didn’t have an income. But she’s been and is a snake.]

5. CARAMEL January 12, 2022 / 1:20 pm

Making up an answer is so tempting….!!!
    But the dull truth is…..currently I work for the NHS….I won’t say where or what I do. I am in the middle of the interview process for a job that will be less physical and more about the keeping the ship moving. That sounds rather ambiguous doesn’t it. But basically it is a more of a desk job. I have pushed myself to the limit for two and a half years, so I applied for this opportunity when it came up because I have done something similar in the past. I think there will be a lot of other great candidates, so I am not really hopeful I will be selected, but getting through to the last stage of interviews has been good for my confidence.

• Marleen January 12, 2022 / 1:53 pm

My mother is continually dismissive and derogatory (while pretending to be pro-family [to the extreme that she’s in a performative phase of having joined my dad’s church after he died] nevertheless) in combat against my not being “employed” (getting affirmation from strangers with a paycheck) like she used to be (until she was fired and, thus, wasn’t working by the age that I am now anyway). Meanwhile, she (with a college degree and position in her field for decades) was then and is now the person who messes up people’s lives; to include her own. She additionally always conflated being morally acceptable with having a college degree, while she was NOT morally acceptable (but appeared to be). Having the degree didn’t make her smart, either. I could go on.

• Marleen January 12, 2022 / 1:54 pm

Oops! That was supposed to be a reply to RUGBY’s post.

• CARAMEL January 12, 2022 / 11:51 pm

Hi Marleen,
        I have always felt that my choice not to go to university was the right one at that age. I think I would have struggled to remain motivated and perhaps have been easily influenced by fellow students.
        Choosing to become immersed in voluntary work was an amazing education, one that allowed me to travel extensively and meet incredibly inspiring people. It was also of huge benefit to my family and has kept us united and joyous.
        Occasionally a potential employer has perhaps seen I did not go to uni and get a degree and not given me any chance to show how the qualities, skills, experience and outlook that a career in volunteering has imparted to me. But I still feel immensely happy with the decisions I made at the time I made them, and if I have been overlooked for some opportunities….I know that there are many more blessings that came along.
        I have never really been anxious about not having a degree. I still think I had a precious opportunity for an education that was superior to the education I would have received at uni.

• Marleen January 13, 2022 / 2:52 am

Thank you so much for sharing that. I’m glad you have moved forward in a joyful life in the way you’ve done.

• Fandango January 12, 2022 / 3:22 pm

Good luck. You never know unless you try.

6. Nope, Not Pam January 13, 2022 / 1:26 am

I drive my boss up the wall

7. Irene January 13, 2022 / 11:06 am

I have been a private tutor, ESL teacher, high school teacher, postdoc, lecturer and researcher in Materials Science, and then “retired early” (hehe) to be a stay-home mom; I have volunteered extensively, in my daughters’ grade school, and still do at my church, and now I am blogging and hoping to find time to write my cookbook in the not too distant future. My husband and I actually flipped a coin when our first baby was born, to see who would stay home with her, and who would work for a salary. I have to say, it was hard at times, but by far, stay-home mom has been my most rewarding career path.

• Fandango January 13, 2022 / 11:47 am

You have so many great recipes. I’m sure your cookbook would be a success.

• Marleen January 13, 2022 / 10:16 pm

I love the idea of flipping a coin on that.

8. Marilyn Armstrong January 13, 2022 / 3:40 pm

Well this was a fun romp through memories of times past. Up right after midnight. It reminded me that I used to work. I’d almost forgotten 🙂

Comments are closed.